What's new

What is the fastest way to receive a "live" broadcast? (1 Viewer)

Christoff

Auditioning
A few seconds is important to me, because I bet live on in-running sporting events.

I've always used regular cable, and it has always been fine... until now. A couple weeks ago I noticed things seemed odd. After a little experimentation, I discovered the cable signal was about 8 seconds behind the over the air broadcast of NBC (the only channel I can get decently).

Unfortunately I live about 5 miles beyond the broadcast range of most television and radio stations. I've also tried powered antennas to no avail. Even if this worked, I still wouldn't get ESPN.

My goal is to get a signal within one second of the event happening. Is this possible with any satellite TV provider, or if not then maybe satellite radio?

This is worth a significant amount of money to me, so even expensive solutions would be helpful. Thanks.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
My goal is to get a signal within one second of the event happening.
Just curious as to why this is important. If the only source of watching an event is your TV, what difference does it make. It is all relative isn't it? We have a local radio station that has spent big bucks to make sure their broadcast is in sync with the TV broadcast.

Christoff

Auditioning

Yeah, I know it is a very unique problem, and that is why I can't seem to find any answers from my own research. Its a little difficult to explain, but a delay puts a bettor at a distinct disadvantage.

Calling customer service at the providers would be pretty pointless without talking directly to the engineers, and the average poster here would probably know more than the reps anyway. Has anyone here ever tested their satellite delay?

I hope it doesn't come to moving...

Mark_B

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark
Try satellite TV. Delay is maybe 1 to 2 seconds off the live broadcast, if that. If your stations are digitally broadcast, you could also try setting up HD. I have found I get a much better OTA signal from the digital broadcast than I get from the analog.

MikeEn

Stunt Coordinator
Christoff,

Do you use a cable box to receive? In many/most places, the cable companies encode all channels into a digital signal which the cable box then decodes. Between the two, you get delay.

But, below channel 100, the old analog signals are likely still present. Even though your cable box accesses duplicate digital copies of these signals, you can connect your cable directly to your TV (using a splitter) and let your TV access the old analog signals directly on the antenna input. They are likely at or very close to real-time.

Good luck.
ME

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
Why not just go to the game you're betting on live? Then there's no delay. ;)

Bill Cowmeadow

Second Unit
C-Band Satellite is/was almost instantaneous, but is anyone still selling programming for it? Echostar?

4-DTV (HDTV) through a C-Band antenna would be the best bet, but like I said, I don't know if anyone is selling packages for it.

Just checked,

Skyvision.com/programming

They can get you what you are looking for.

Bill

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks