Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

reciever shuts off

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 OFFLINE   steve00ses

steve00ses

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted November 14 2006 - 09:00 AM

okay i have been having problems with my yamaha htr-5890 shuting off on me. i have 2 jbl stadium speakers, jbl voice speaker, and two jbl monitor speakers for the rear. i have tried 16 and 12 gauge speaker wire, and the reciever after turned up will shut off and say check speaker wires. driving me crazy i just had the center speaker replaced cause i thought that was it threw ttouble shooting. could i posibly not be getting enough power threw the wall? please help! thanks, steve

#2 of 5 OFFLINE   John Garcia

John Garcia

Executive Producer

• 11,566 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted November 14 2006 - 09:29 AM

First would be to disconnect all the speakers from the receiver and reconnect each one. The most common cause of this is a stray strand of wire that shorts to the chassis. If you aren't using connectors for the wire, like bananas, I would start doing so as insurance against stray wire strands because I have seen receivers do what you describe due to just a few stray strands. Second, I would verify that the polarity for all speaker connections (+/-) are correct and consistent across all speakers. Does it do the same thing in stereo only? Try disconnecting the center and surrounds and running it in stereo to see if it does the same thing.
HT: Emotiva UMC-200, Emotiva XPA-3, Carnegie Acoustics CSB-1s + CSC-1, GR Research A/V-1s, Epik Empire, Oppo BDP-105, PS4, PS3,URC R-50, APC-H10, Panamax 5100 Bluejeans Cable
System Two: Marantz PM7200, Pioneer FS52s, Panasonic BD79
(stolen) : Marantz SR-8300, GR Research A/V-2s, Sony SCD-222ES SACD, Panasonic BD-65, PS3 60G (250G)

Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it’ll spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.” – Albert Einstein

#3 of 5 OFFLINE   ScottCHI

ScottCHI

Screenwriter

• 1,292 posts

Posted November 14 2006 - 04:35 PM

A blown tweeter in one of your speakers can cause this behavior.
"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."

#4 of 5 OFFLINE   John Garcia

John Garcia

Executive Producer

• 11,566 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted November 15 2006 - 01:54 AM

Yep, that would be the third thing to check. That one should be noticable though because one or more speakers would sound funny. If you can't hear it, when you disonnect the speakers, reconnect just one at a time and try each out; you may have more than one damaged driver.
HT: Emotiva UMC-200, Emotiva XPA-3, Carnegie Acoustics CSB-1s + CSC-1, GR Research A/V-1s, Epik Empire, Oppo BDP-105, PS4, PS3,URC R-50, APC-H10, Panamax 5100 Bluejeans Cable
System Two: Marantz PM7200, Pioneer FS52s, Panasonic BD79
(stolen) : Marantz SR-8300, GR Research A/V-2s, Sony SCD-222ES SACD, Panasonic BD-65, PS3 60G (250G)

Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it’ll spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.” – Albert Einstein

#5 of 5 OFFLINE   steve00ses

steve00ses

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted November 26 2006 - 04:48 PM

well i got new speaker wire, didnt fix the problem. and the ohms on the speaker are all at 8, which is what they are suppose to be, any other things i can do other taking the reciever in for service?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users