What's new

reciever shuts off (1 Viewer)

steve00ses

Auditioning
Real Name
steve
okay i have been having problems with my yamaha htr-5890 shuting off on me. i have 2 jbl stadium speakers, jbl voice speaker, and two jbl monitor speakers for the rear. i have tried 16 and 12 gauge speaker wire, and the reciever after turned up will shut off and say check speaker wires. driving me crazy i just had the center speaker replaced cause i thought that was it threw ttouble shooting. could i posibly not be getting enough power threw the wall? please help!

thanks, steve

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
First would be to disconnect all the speakers from the receiver and reconnect each one. The most common cause of this is a stray strand of wire that shorts to the chassis. If you aren't using connectors for the wire, like bananas, I would start doing so as insurance against stray wire strands because I have seen receivers do what you describe due to just a few stray strands.

Second, I would verify that the polarity for all speaker connections (+/-) are correct and consistent across all speakers.

Does it do the same thing in stereo only? Try disconnecting the center and surrounds and running it in stereo to see if it does the same thing.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Yep, that would be the third thing to check. That one should be noticable though because one or more speakers would sound funny. If you can't hear it, when you disonnect the speakers, reconnect just one at a time and try each out; you may have more than one damaged driver.

steve00ses

Auditioning
Real Name
steve
well i got new speaker wire, didnt fix the problem. and the ohms on the speaker are all at 8, which is what they are suppose to be, any other things i can do other taking the reciever in for service?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks