Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
DVD Reviews

HTF REVIEW: Forbidden Planet - 50th Anniversary Two-Disc Special Edition. RECOMMENDED

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
26 replies to this topic

#21 of 27 OFFLINE   Terry Hickey

Terry Hickey

Second Unit

• 400 posts

Posted December 05 2006 - 12:09 PM

Did I get a bad disc or why didn't they fix the frame towards the end of the movie when they are heading back to earth and Leslie is holding Anne, it appears to jump or twitch for a second. Even in the supplements, when that
particular clip came up, it did the same thing. Other than that, the presentation is great. Looks a lot better than the old disc. This is my favorite sci-fi movie because I was impressed with it when it was first shown
theatrically. I absolutely agree, this disc is highly recommended!!!!!

#22 of 27 OFFLINE   Jay Pennington

Jay Pennington

Screenwriter

• 1,189 posts

Posted December 05 2006 - 07:17 PM

That is the way the film was originally edited. They removed some of his little speech to her, resulting in a jump cut. They were more forgiving of that kind of thing in those days. The excised footage can be seen in the deleted scenes section (or whatever it's called).
-Jay

#23 of 27 OFFLINE   Jeff_CusBlues

Jeff_CusBlues

Supporting Actor

• 605 posts

Posted December 06 2006 - 04:40 AM

As jay said, the old footage can be seen in the deleted scene section. There is also an explanation for the bad edit.

#24 of 27 OFFLINE   Terry Hickey

Terry Hickey

Second Unit

• 400 posts

Posted December 06 2006 - 09:19 AM

Thanks guys, I guess I didn't pay much attention when viewing some of the supplemental material.

#25 of 27 OFFLINE   andySu

andySu

Screenwriter

• 1,913 posts

Posted December 06 2006 - 01:30 PM

Herb

Nicely written review of this classic I’m looking forwards to seeing this on region 2 DVD over in the UK soon! I kinder got a fondness for Anne Francis as the beautiful AltairaPosted Image

It’s a kind of a film that I would like to relax with in the evenings of the cold harsh winter nights…

Oh, hope the aspect ratio fairs well, as I’ve seen a TV broadcast of this many years ago. I could have shot the TV when then opened it up slightly, cropping off the sides British TV is the worse on the face of the planet Laserdisc and DVD rule OK!

#26 of 27 OFFLINE   Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs

Executive Producer

• 16,725 posts

Posted December 07 2006 - 04:17 AM

While I appreciate this review, I must take exception with the statement that the film plods along at the beginning. Sorry, but the pacing is excellent and the set-up superb. Forbidden Planet is one of the top five greatest SF films ever made. Even its special effects hold up remarkably well.

And having first been exposed to Leslie Neilsen in this film, I did not ever see him purely as a comedic actor.

My only complaint about this film is one I've held ever since my first viewing of it oh so many years (um, decades) ago: Robby the Robot's "belch" after having sampled some fine alcohol.

Otherwise, a superb, superb film.

#27 of 27 OFFLINE   Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs

Executive Producer

• 16,725 posts

Posted December 07 2006 - 04:17 AM

While I appreciate this review, I must take exception with the statement that the film plods along at the beginning. Sorry, but the pacing is excellent and the set-up superb. Forbidden Planet is one of the top five greatest SF films ever made. Even its special effects hold up remarkably well.

And having first been exposed to Leslie Neilsen in this film, I did not ever see him purely as a comedic actor.

My only complaint about this film is one I've held ever since my first viewing of it oh so many years (um, decades) ago: Robby the Robot's "belch" after having sampled some fine alcohol.

Otherwise, a superb, superb film.