Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Pricing

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 OFFLINE   Yumbo

Yumbo

Screenwriter

• 2,243 posts

Posted November 12 2006 - 10:03 AM

Paramount titles aren't even combo, and they're higher - what gives? Combo now affords experimenting at rental level, but double sided discs are a pain. How's the scratch factor on rentals affecting playback of HD DVD? Getting REDS on SD instead.

#2 of 5 ONLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 25,788 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted November 12 2006 - 10:27 AM

I don't understand your question? Most of the Paramount catalog titles on HD DVD that I've bought had a $29.99 MSRP and after discount my purchase price was usually $19.99 plus the 10% Amazon discount. The only exception to that pricing in regard to catalog titles was "Reds" which was higher on both BR and HD DVD for some strange reason. Now, if you really want to complain about catalog title pricing then take a look at Fox and Disney BR titles that have a $39.99 MSRP.

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#3 of 5 OFFLINE   Yumbo

Yumbo

Screenwriter

• 2,243 posts

Posted November 12 2006 - 11:20 AM

All the recent announcements...World Trade Center, MI-III. I just realised that they're all 2 disc bonus feature titles - whoopee, charge more for SEs, deja vu DVD a few years back. I'd rather have a combo!

#4 of 5 OFFLINE   Shane Martin

Shane Martin

Producer

• 6,017 posts

Posted November 12 2006 - 01:47 PM

They are still doing it today with the 2 disc SE's. Given Target is pretty aggressive, I think HD enthusiasts are getting off easy.

#5 of 5 ONLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 25,788 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted November 12 2006 - 04:02 PM

Those are not catalog titles, they're films that have been released theatrically within the past year which means the studios will price them higher in an attempt to recoup some of those production costs that are still on their books. Also, I believe MI and MII which are catalog titles were bundled up as a boxset with the recently released MIII in a purely marketing strategy. This isn't just Paramount, it's every studio! There have only been a couple of those recently releases films that had a MSRP below 39.99, so this is a industry wide pricing issue not just Paramount. We have discussed this issue more than a few times already and even though, as a consumer I don't like it, as a business manager, I can understand their reasoning in doing so. Furthermore, the studios won't change it and will continue to price such titles that are still on their books until there is greater marketing penetration with these new formats. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users