Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Harsh Times - quick review

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 38,122 posts

Posted November 11 2006 - 02:22 PM

While I had fun watching Christian Bale and Freddy Rodriguez chew up the scenery in this film with an aimlessly thin plotline, after seeing Bale's name as an exec producer, I have to chalk this film up as a vanity acting project for him because he truly has a blast hamming it up on the screen. The first 2/3 of the film is unabashedly a testosterone-unleashed slacker buddy-buddy flick, and then it gets much darker and chaotic for the characters. It's worth a matinee if you like either of the 2 main actors, just go along for the ride and don't ascribe too much common sense to either of them. I give it 2.5 stars, or a grade of C+.
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#2 of 4 OFFLINE   Elizabeth S

Elizabeth S

Producer

• 4,544 posts

Posted November 13 2006 - 05:47 AM

I hadn't heard much about the film at all, so I had very low expectations. I'm a Bale fan, though, and think he usually picks interesting projects. I liked the film a lot. YES, Bale is way over the top, but as the story settled in, I accepted that he's one of those guys who acts that way -- exaggerated bravura and joviality to hide how messed up he really is. Unhinged Bale is pretty scary. It was a little unbelievable that he and the Freddy Rodriguez character would actually be friends -- even more so that Eva's character would be with an unmotivated guy like Freddy. Still, I got involved with the situation the characters found themselves in. I did notice what appeared to be several people walking out at 2 separate parts of the film -- I'm guessing it was a little too unpleasantly brutal for them.

#3 of 4 OFFLINE   JonZ

JonZ

Lead Actor

• 7,794 posts

Posted December 18 2006 - 02:49 AM

Saw somewhere this film has a Feb 27 dvd release date.

#4 of 4 OFFLINE   Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer!

Executive Producer

• 11,067 posts
  • LocationWilmington, Delaware

Posted August 30 2008 - 07:41 AM

Just watched this today on Showtime HD and I must say that seldom have I seen a film filled with such unlikable and pathetic characters.

I love Bale but i'm not sure he pulled off the gang-banger/street trash talkin' hood he was trying so desperately to do here, he mostly came off lame, scary and volitile (I wanted very bad things to happen to him after he threatened to kill his pregnant girlfriend), but lame.

Overall it was an ugly and arduous excercise in violence and hatred that I won't be reliving again anytime soon. Posted Image
"That's Jack Bauer!!!!!! He's coming for me!!!!!" - Charles Logan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users