What's new

X-Men: The Last Stand Review (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member

In that review Bracke writes, "Brett Ratner has been a vocal proponent of the Super35 process, which tends to increase visible film grain."

Interesting, seeing as how at least one of the RUSH HOUR films (I think 2) and RED DRAGON were both filmed in ANAMORPHIC PANAVISION, not Super-35.

Vincent

chuckamuck

Grip
Real Name
Jayson

I can't speak to the part about Ratner being a "vocal proponent" of the Super35 format, but it wouldn't be unreasonable to assume that the decision to shoot "X3" in Super35 was partly that of the series' producers, given that "X2" was also shot in Super35.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
Wow, I can't believe they didn't even put all the deleted scenes on the Blu-Ray version(especially as a lot of the SD DVDs leaked out with all 23 instead of the intended 10). Not that they were anything out of this world, but you'd think Fox would at least pack this release with bonus features. :thumbsdown:

MarekM

Supporting Actor

I think maybe the reason is, that it is BD SL25GB disk,.... and maybe there were no more space to put them all on disk....

Marek

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
I can't believe that they didn't do a 50gig DL, Oh wait, yes I can. They will probably release it again as a special edition with all the extras you could ever want. They want you to buy it twice, see.

John H Ross

Screenwriter

Indeed. I predict that in the next 3-4 years nearly all of these original HD discs will have been re-issued with (probably) even better picture and sound AND more extra features (both new and those transported over from the SD-DVDs). Just another reason to hang fire IMHO.

John

Dave_P.

Supporting Actor

True, if the regular DVD is going to get a double-dip, why would the Blu-Ray be any different?

Dave_P.

Supporting Actor
Oh and for the record, the extras are in HD and there is a pop-up menu and change-on-the-fly options on the disc. Not sure what hidefdigest was reviewing. A screener maybe?

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
I watched X3 tonight. First, the(slightly) bad news: there is a glitch at around the 70 minute mark where the picture freezes for a few seconds before it goes back to normal. A few other folks over on AVS have also reported this problem. This is with the Samsung only. People with the Panny seem to be ok.
Now the good news:an outstanding transfer with great audio. Bass was especially impressive. This one is definitely on a par with the best HD DVD available.

Dave_P.

Supporting Actor
Yeah, I read the AVS thread on that as well. I kept an eye out for the 1:11 mark on my Sammy, but didn't have any issue there. I do have both firmware updates on my machine though.

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
That would be great if the upgraded firmware solved the problem.

I blame Samsung for stunting Blu-Ray, but since the broadest base of owners at this time have to be Samsung owners it would be nice to know the glitches have been taken care of, for the sake of the owners and the format itself.

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
I have the latest firmware on the Sammy, so I don't think that's the problem. Probably just a bad batch of discs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks