What's new

Anyone see the New Enterprise episode last night? *(Spoilers)* (1 Viewer)

Micheal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
I thought it was great! At first I was a little pissed at Archer for listening to T'Pol about the decision to leave the dead crew on the spacecraft but I liked the way they had Archer brew over it during dinner and decide to go back against her wishes. Besides, we had to see the torpedoes in action sooner or later...
biggrin.gif

P.S. I love the way they shoot the show, very dark and moody atmosphere so far...
icon14.gif

Anyone else see it last night?
------------------
BLAM!
Good, bad...I'm the guy with the gun.
I'm looking to sell my Toshiba 40 x 81 HDTV
Check out my movie mural here... http://www.geocities.com/superfacehu...ater_Page.html

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
It looks like the great white north gets access to the new episodes on tuesday, while our friends to the south have to wait until wednesday.
On topic though, I watched the new episode and thought it was great. Though Hoshi is my least favourite character (I know, it's only 2 episodes long) I feel they needed to do this "fear" episode early on to make her useful for the rest of the season.
Great scenes including the torpeados ricocheting off the shields, and my favourite scene, with Porthos (the dog) following archer around the bed waiting for the cheese :)
cheers!
Episode score for "Fight or Flight" 90%
Josh

Micheal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
It looks like the great white north gets access to the new episodes on tuesday, while our friends to the south have to wait until wednesday.
I saw it on the dish (Starchoice) last night at 10:00pm, it was on ACH I believe. (Not sure what ACH stands for...) What channel (and what time) did you see it?
A couple of lucky Canucks I guess..
tongue.gif

------------------
BLAM!
Good, bad...I'm the guy with the gun.
I'm looking to sell my Toshiba 40 x 81 HDTV
Check out my movie mural here... http://www.geocities.com/superfacehu...ater_Page.html

Francois Caron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
François Caron
The station is A-Channel and it's on channel 222 on ExpressVu. Also, I believe they broadcast in SDTV i.e. near-DVD quality instead of lower resolution broadcast quality. At least the image on their news shows looks very sharp.
And the show is worth a high quality broadcast. Now all they have to do is improve the stories!
biggrin.gif

------------------
The Milnoc
News, Views, DVD Reviews.

Sean Laughter

Screenwriter
Just saw it tonight. It was pretty good, though I have to admit that I find Captain Archer more than a little annoying. As rigid and sometimes overbearing as T'Pol seems I side with her more often than not (of course this is only the second episode), only because Archer seems like quite a doofus. The whole dinner scene, for instance, he sits here interrogating her about, "What if they were Klingons?" "Do you always tuck tail and run?". The whole time I'm thinking, you're the captain, you give the orders, you turned the ship around, quit being an @#$hole! I dunno, maybe he'll grow on me, but even Kirk wasn't this stand-offish.
I wonder how many people stopped watching when Dr. Phlox said no one would have to rub gel on anyone else's naked bodies during this episode
wink.gif

At least it seems like the entire series will be letterboxed, I thought it was just done for the pilot, but apparently not :)

ChristopherS

Second Unit
That communications ensign is starting to bother me. This is the only starship Earth has and she made the cut? What was wrong with the person who placed first in her class?
When she suggested to the Commander that she was going to ask the Captain to take her home, I wanted to slap her. What were the writers thinking, "There is no way anyone would believe that there are two strong women on the same ship. Make one a wimp."
I did have a chuckle when the Captain said he would visit the dead ship with the Ensign and someone from Security. I was thinking "he's dead." Those were the days ...

Chris

Senior HTF Member
It's growing on me. The best start of any of the new series. Acting is pretty good, stories are pretty good. Needs some work, but easily, so far, the best new series I've seen.

BobV

Second Unit
When she suggested to the Commander that she was going to ask the Captain to take her home, I wanted to slap her. What were the writers thinking, "There is no way anyone would believe that there are two strong women on the same ship. Make one a wimp."
It's called "character development".
Am I the only one who seen the smoothly orchestrated uber-theme of imperfection through this episode?
Imperfect Ship - squeaks
Imperfect Captain - made the wrong decision and left the dead
Imperfect Vulcan - let the "tension" get to her
Imperfect Food - protein re-assemblies (or something like that)
Imperfect Hoshi - screaming and wanting to go home
Imperfect Porthos - eating cheese
Imperfect Weapons - targetting scanners off
Imperfect Tucker - wanted the Away mission when his place was on the ship
Imperfect First contact - possible "friend" started to be possible "foe"
Imperfect new home - slug would just have to adapt
I could go on, but it just seemed like there was an underlying theme.

Frank Anderson

Senior HTF Member
So far I think the series excellent. I am glad to see that the Federation is not the biggest and baddest group in space. In the other series were they ever scared? It's refreshing to see how weak they are compaired with other space travlers. I just wish they would lighten the sets more. What's the purpose in keeping everything on the ship so dark?
smiley_spidey.gif
Frank
------------------
http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mc.asp?alias=Nightdog&acceptadult=true
usa_small.gif

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
An OK episode with some very nice touches.
I like the reactions of the crew as Hoshi begins to communicate successfully with the alien.
The interplay among the crew seems very natural already.
Love the science station hooded viewer!
The bad:
Inability to correct targeting sensors and then all of a sudden in the heat of battle they are fixed?
The quickness with which Hoshi was able to begin communications with the alien on her own.
These 2 things tie into the disturbing treknobabble stuff seen on TNG. A cheap pulling the rabbit out of the hat gimmick.
Ship-to-ship visuals - Arrrgh! I knew this was going to happen. I can live with external ship shots etc. But it was clearly stated in TOS that ship-to-ship visuals was a relatively new thing.
This type of thing irks me to no end. One can only wonder what other inconsistencies are going to be introduced with this series.
------------------
Every man is my superior, in that I may learn from him.
MyHTSetup

Dave Morton

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
I liked the new episode. I think the writing is very good for this show. Much better than voyager and ds9.
------------------
------ Dave ------
------------------
Link Removed

Matt_Stevens

Supporting Actor
I am in shock at how you all liked this.
eek.gif
I watched this last night with some friends (who are all big Trek fans, one of them actually sold a premise to Voyager and was made into a damn good episode), but anyway, we are all bored out of our minds and hated it! It took forever to get to the story and scenes just dragged on and on. It felt like a stale Voyager repeat.
icon13.gif
I thought the premiere was much better (we all did).
I hope I like next week's better.
frown.gif

------------------
www.deceptions.net/superman

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I enjoyed last night's episode. Although, Hoshi's complaining was getting on my nerves. I will give the show a season to get it's feet. I loved TNG. But, if you watch from the beginning you see how it took the first season to get in the groove. For example, Geordi was the helmsman. But, in the 2nd season he became Chief Engineer. A much better use for the character.
**Trek Nerd Alert: Did anyone else notice the name of the aliens at the end? They were from Axanar. In TOS kirk got a commendation with Axanar in the name. A little continuity tidbit thrown in for the obssesed fans.

Jim Benard

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jim
I liked both shows and am willing to wait out the inconsistencies. The only thing that is bothering me is the amount of 'bad' guys out there that are almost 'borg' like. After last night we find yet another species that can kick the hell out of us at any time without someone helping. I hope they find some more friendly aliens soon or maybe some aliens that have the same capabilities as us? Are all the unknowns out there so evil? I know it's TV but if this was Earth's first starship we sure as hell wouldn't be taking all these chances. It's not like we can replicate another starship with the blink of an eye. Seems like they need to be finding aliens to team up with. Earth needs to start the Federation of planets at some point instead of just wandering aimlessly around the galaxy.
[Edited last by Jim Benard on October 04, 2001 at 10:08 AM]

brentl

Senior HTF Member
The bodies hanging from the ceiling gave me a good shiver.
First episode 8.5
Second " 7.5
LL cool B

Mike Witt

Stunt Coordinator
I can't believe they left the slug on that planet. After all we know about how introducing a alien species in a foreign environment and how it can totally screw up the whole ecosystem. They are many examples of this happening right here on earth in the here and now. They should have let the slug die rather than risk screwing up an entire planet's ecosystem. (I know it's a minor gripe but a valid one.) :)
All in all a rather boring episode. I agree with others though, it usually takes these series a while to get on their feet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks