• 178 posts

Posted November 09 2006 - 03:42 PM

i'd like it if warner bros would release harry o

#2 of 21 OFFLINE   Michael Alden

Michael Alden

Supporting Actor

• 825 posts

Posted November 10 2006 - 12:48 PM

I'd like it if Warner would release this and about 100 other shows they own.

#3 of 21 OFFLINE   Jeff#

Jeff#

Screenwriter

• 1,942 posts

Posted November 10 2006 - 01:35 PM

There were only 2 really good showcases for David Janssen after The Fugitive ended, and they include Harry O and the miniseries Centennial.

#4 of 21 OFFLINE   RickER

RickER

Producer

• 5,130 posts
  • LocationTulsa, Oklahoma

Posted November 10 2006 - 02:18 PM

I watched this show when i was little. But its been over 30 years! I dont remember one thing about it, except Janseen.

#5 of 21 OFFLINE   Jeff Willis

Jeff Willis

Producer

• 3,382 posts
  • LocationDallas TX

Posted November 10 2006 - 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Alden
I'd like it if Warner would release this and about 100 other shows they own.

Mike, that says it all for me Posted Image

"Mannix", I'm with you all the way for a Mannix release but I wouldn't count on it anytime soon. Ditto for Harry-O. Not trying to hex things, but I'd guess that we'd need to see a significant increase of 50's-70's releases by most of the major players before seeing these. Most seem to notice a slow-down in the older series' releases over the last few months. I'm hoping that it'll pick back up after Jan. That has been a trend (Jan-Mar) the past couple of years.

BTW, the "Mannix" theme and soundtrack is one of my all-time series favorites amoung the "police/detective" type series. Maybe if the series pack "Get Smart" does well in sales, that might convince the major players to release full-season sets instead of one-season or half-season releases.

ml1fyo.jpg  "Checkmate King Two, 'Out'" "Combat! A Selmur Production"

TV/DVD Collector, mainly 50's thru 90's with a few 2000+ shows.
My 2 all-time favorite TV shows:
"Combat!" & "The Fugitive"
My 2 all-time best blind-buys: "The Fugitive"   "The Donna Reed Show"

#6 of 21 OFFLINE   70sTVlover

70sTVlover

Stunt Coordinator

• 242 posts

Posted November 10 2006 - 09:01 PM

I'd like to see them both released on DVD.

#7 of 21 OFFLINE   DaveHof

DaveHof

Stunt Coordinator

• 212 posts

Posted July 11 2012 - 09:03 AM

Is the first season out? Saw this on the Warner Archive site today: http://www.wbshop.co...e/1000333850.do

#8 of 21 OFFLINE   HenryDuBrow

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter

• 1,280 posts

Posted July 11 2012 - 09:12 AM

Yes, DVD cover shown in the other thread.

#9 of 21 Guest__*

Guest__*

Posted July 11 2012 - 11:12 AM

its about time

#10 of 21 OFFLINE   Rick Thompson

Rick Thompson

Supporting Actor

• 896 posts

Posted July 11 2012 - 12:51 PM

Just ordered mine. And yes, it's about time. I can finally have a legit issue of the first season. Looking forward to Season 2 and trashing the last of the others.

#11 of 21 OFFLINE   Brian Himes

Brian Himes

Screenwriter

• 1,092 posts

Posted October 18 2012 - 07:32 AM

Well, I am just about finished watching Harry O season 1. Well...I haven't seen the show before and I do like it. However, outside of the pilot movies, they did change the opening credit sequence at least 3 times which sort of bugged me. Then 8 episodes from then end of the season they suddenly shift locations to LA. While LA is fine, I liked that the show took place in San Diego. Several other detective/cop shows of the 70s already took place in either LA (Starsky & Hutch, Charlies Angles, The Rockford Files, The Rookies, Police Woman, Columbo, Police Story, Adam 12, SWAT, Mod Squad, Quincy, CHiPs, Cannon, Barnaby Jones and Mannix) or New York (Kojak, Barney Miller, McCloud, Baretta, The Snoop Sisters) so I am already bored with those two locals. It's always nice to get a change of scenery like Boston (Banacek), San Francisco (McMillan & Wife, The Streets of San Francisco) or Hawaii (Hawaii Five-O). Plus, as far as I know, only one other dectective/cop show took place in San Diego and that was Simon and Simon and that was in the 80s. Also, it's always bothersome when they tinker with a show this much in the first season. Pick something and stick to it, ya know? Overall, the show is good so far. I do hope we get the final season. I really want to see the episodes with Farrah.

#12 of 21 OFFLINE   Rick Thompson

Rick Thompson

Supporting Actor

• 896 posts

Posted October 18 2012 - 07:37 AM

From what I've read over the years, it was more expensive to film in San Diego, and the city didn't make the producers' life easier. Unlike today, cities outside New York and L.A. didn't have the film offices to grease the skids. SInce Harry wasn't a ratings king, they decided it wasn't worth the trouble to continue in San Diego.

#13 of 21 OFFLINE   Brian Himes

Brian Himes

Screenwriter

• 1,092 posts

Posted October 18 2012 - 10:56 AM

From what I've read over the years, it was more expensive to film in San Diego, and the city didn't make the producers' life easier. Unlike today, cities outside New York and L.A. didn't have the film offices to grease the skids. SInce Harry wasn't a ratings king, they decided it wasn't worth the trouble to continue in San Diego.

I kinda figured that it was a cost saving thing to move the show to LA. Still, it is a bit of a bummer that they did it. Eventhough San Diego did look a bit like LA in places, it was still refreshing to see some other city in the 70s besides New York and LA.

#14 of 21 OFFLINE   shoeshineboy

shoeshineboy

Second Unit

• 318 posts

Posted October 19 2012 - 08:55 AM

What I'm finding -- and i'm only into about the 4th show in LA, so i still have a disc to go -- is that there is a more than slight tone shift with the series, too. The stories seemed to be more coherent, if a little less crammed together (especially the one about the black trumpet player - the whole beginning seemed to be badly truncated!)... I love how Zerbe becomes part-foil/part-cohort of Harry's, and think Janssen remains steadfast in his character. The change was done to save money but from what I see it lost something. I'm eagerly hoping things will smooth out over the final episodes of Season 1...

#15 of 21 OFFLINE   HenryDuBrow

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter

• 1,280 posts

Posted October 20 2012 - 04:49 AM

The Orwell/Trench relationship I always found interesting, I could never quite figure out why the Lt. disliked Harry so much but he seemed to do so from day one and the sparks that flew made for great TV watching. The first half of Season 1 may be the classic to most fans but I don't think more action really hurt the series or the character, Janssen just got to flesh out Harry even more and show his chops thus his take on it remained intriguing to viewers.

#16 of 21 OFFLINE   Rick Thompson

Rick Thompson

Supporting Actor

• 896 posts

Posted November 02 2012 - 11:41 PM

I liked Henry Darrow's Manny Quinlan and was sorry to see him go, but the sparks of the Harry/Trench respect/annoyance (friendship/pain-in-the-ass?) relationship gave the show a real zip. Zerbe is a much more high-energy actor than Darrow, which made for more contrast with the laconic style of Janssen. Now to more important stuff. When might we expect Season 2?

#17 of 21 OFFLINE   HenryDuBrow

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter

• 1,280 posts

Posted November 03 2012 - 05:45 AM

Soon, I think. They just released the second season of Alice and its first season came out I believe just a little before Harry O so we'll probably see it very shortly.

#18 of 21 OFFLINE   Rick Thompson

Rick Thompson

Supporting Actor

• 896 posts

Posted November 03 2012 - 02:47 PM

One of the best chances for Janssen (and Zerbe too, for that matter) to show off his comedy chops comes in season 2: "Mr. Five and Dime," which comes with great support from Les Lannom and J. Pat O'Malley as the old counterfeiter.

#19 of 21 OFFLINE   Walsh61

Walsh61

Stunt Coordinator

• 135 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted November 04 2012 - 01:34 AM

I always get a laugh out of the "Lester" episode, especially the ending when Lester is impersonating Harry.

#20 of 21 OFFLINE   HenryDuBrow

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter

• 1,280 posts

Posted November 04 2012 - 04:56 AM

Love it, one of my top episodes too! By the way, WAC also have Hawkins with James Stewart coming now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users