What's new

Universal Cinema Classics: The Heiress, etc. on 02-06-07 (1 Viewer)

Charles H

Screenwriter
Universal is starting a new line (Universal Cinema Classics). The first wave includes ALL QUIET ON THE WESTERN FRONT, ARABIAN NIGHTS, THE HEIRESS, and GOING MY WAY. They will include trailers and introductions (?).
Retail is $14. Check out Davisdvd.com.

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
Wow, fantastic! That's really great news.

Hopefully All Quiet on the Western Front has gotten a new transfer. I've never seen the original DVD of that one, as I understand it didn't look very good. I saw it at a museum screening earlier this year with a very nice-looking print.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The price is right; Universal has been doing some decent work of late, hopefully 'All Quiet' will get a makeover; Arabian Nights should look spectacular.

Corey

Screenwriter
Finally Universal throws us some goodies. I will be getting all of these titles.

Corey

Screenwriter
i know Maria Montez fans are gonna be happy with the release of Arabian Nights.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Damn! Wouldn't you know I just picked up All Quiet On The Western Front and Going My Way in the past couple of months! Frankly, I didn't much care for either one enough to upgrade to better transfers but The Heiress and Arabian Nights is great news! Now if they'll take a lesson from Warners and Fox and use original cover art, one couldn't ask for more.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
Looking forward to Arabian Nights and The Heiress- the only twinge of disappointment I have is that I was hoping the Heiress would anchor a DeHavilland collection (because what I really want is Hold Back The Dawn).

If the elements for Arabian Nights are in good shape, I would love to see this be one of Universals first 1.33 AR classic HD DVD releases.

DeeF

Screenwriter
The Heiress is one of the greatest movies ever made. It was the only movie I ever bought on VHS. I hope it has some restoration work done to it, and I hope there are some extras. Olivia herself is still around to do a commentary.

Van594

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Scott
hmmm...I'm happy but once again I think Universal doesn't get it...they start a new line which is great but you would think they would start off with titles with more of a bang. I would rather they continue with the Noir line they didn't even give a chance. We'll see how long they continue this line.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Really thrilled to read about THE HEIRESS at long last! It IS one of the greatest movies ever made and not nearly celebrated enough. Hopefully, a quality DVD transfer will rectify that situation somewhat.

PattyFraser

Second Unit
The Heiress--hurray! I hope there is a commentary on it, with the lady herself. This is one of the greatest of the classic title releases--a real bang-up way to start this collection.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
re: "..... once again I think Universal doesn't get it ... they start a new line which is great but you think they would start off with titles with more of a bang".

More of a bang? All Quiet On The Western Front and Going My Way are best picture Oscar winners and The Heiress contains a best actress Oscar winning performance. Arabian Nights is an example of gorgeous 3 strip Technicolor glory and Montez fans have eagerly awaited the debut of her films to the DVD format.

It may have been a champagne cork pop to your ears but to many it was a cannon going off!

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

Davis DVD is saying just intros and trailers; at the price point I don't think we can expect more (until they're upgraded to 'Legacy Series' staus ;) )

Jefty

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David Fiore
I quite agree! it's about time Hold Back the Dawn made it to some home format--and a De Havilland boxed set would be ideal!

Jacqui

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jacqui
And so it starts. The offensive of my back pocket for 2007. Thrilled that there is a remaster of All Quiet on The Western Front, and the long awaited The Heiress. As a fan of Olivia de Havilland, this is marvellous news :)

I hope this finally means a release of Sometimes a Great Notion.

Being a moderate Maria Montez fan (saw Cobra Woman in 35mm a couple years back) and being a very hardcore fan of technicolor adventures in general and Sabu in particular, Arabian Nights shall be mine.

Van594

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Scott
My thoughts were knowing what they have in their vaults that these are not the best of titles to start with. There is only one I would consider getting out of this first group, and knowing them it will be the last group.

I have a list of 75 Universal classic titles I want and none of these were on it so for me it's a disappointment.

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
All I can say is WHAT TOOK SO LONG ?????????
Now, I would LIKE TO SEE-
"Madame X"
"Portrait In Black"
"Midnight Lace"
"Magnificent Obsession"
"Back Street"'-Both versions on one DISC
"The Tarnished Angels"

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leif_sauce
Recent bookmarks