• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 of 16 Jon Baker

Jon Baker

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted November 09 2006 - 04:24 AM

I came across this on another site, but no info. Does anyone know if and when this is going to be released?

#2 of 16 MatthewA

MatthewA

Advanced Member

• 5,787 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted November 09 2006 - 05:06 AM

That's got to be a fake. From a studio that refuses to release any more of its superior parent series (which, frankly, they screwed up in its DVD release)?

#3 of 16 Jay_B!

Jay_B!

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,746 posts

Posted November 09 2006 - 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewA
That's got to be a fake. From a studio that refuses to release any more of its superior parent series (which, frankly, they screwed up in its DVD release)?

well, look at Sony with Maude/Good Times, I consider the parent to be superior to the child but we haven't seen one set of Maude yet while Good Times has been finished

#4 of 16 MatthewA

MatthewA

Advanced Member

• 5,787 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted November 09 2006 - 05:11 AM

But "Fish" was seen floating in the ABC tank after one year. Good Times ran exactly five and one half years and is two generations away from All in the Family, which is past the halfway mark.

#5 of 16 Steve...O

Steve...O

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,165 posts

Posted November 09 2006 - 05:42 AM

Got to be a joke/fake. I saw this in its original run and there is a reason why some shows not only live in obscurity but deserve to be there.

I'll believe this when I see the "Holmes and Yo Yo" Complete series collection. (sorry John Schuck fans).
Please help UCLA restore the Laurel & Hardy films: https://www.cinema.u...aurel-and-hardy

#6 of 16 Derek K.

Derek K.

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted November 09 2006 - 08:32 AM

Wasnt Abe Vigoda dead before Fish was even in production?

Posted Image

#7 of 16 Michael Alden

Michael Alden

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 825 posts

Posted November 09 2006 - 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek K.
Wasnt Abe Vigoda dead before Fish was even in production?

Posted Image

He's still alive. The show was dead before it was in production however.

#8 of 16 Jon Baker

Jon Baker

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted November 09 2006 - 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewA

Hmm...why would someone make a fake Fish DVD cover? Odd.

And what was the screw-up in the Barney Miller release?

#9 of 16 Michael Alden

Michael Alden

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 825 posts

Posted November 09 2006 - 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Baker

No one bought it?

#10 of 16 MatthewA

MatthewA

Advanced Member

• 5,787 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted November 09 2006 - 04:35 PM

Quote:

The screw up was that two episodes were edited, including the premiere.

Furthermore, there were NO extras, and the original pilot "The Life and Times of Captain Barney Miller", in the best Sony tradition, was omitted.

The cover is a fake. A nice fake, but a fake nonetheless.

Quote:
I'll believe this when I see the "Holmes and Yo Yo" Complete series collection. (sorry John Schuck fans).

Universal owns that, and since they are the new kings of one-and-done this would be ideal. Posted Image

#11 of 16 AndyMcKinney

AndyMcKinney

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts
  • LocationKentucky, USA

Posted November 10 2006 - 03:15 AM

Quote:

Maybe somebody's bootlegging off-TV recordings?

#12 of 16 MatthewA

MatthewA

Advanced Member

• 5,787 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted November 10 2006 - 04:44 AM

That is conceivable, because the show did air on the WWOR satellite feed several years ago with other short-lived Columbia properties like Gloria, Temperature's Rising, etc.

#13 of 16 Jeff#

Jeff#

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,942 posts

Posted November 10 2006 - 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Alden
He's still alive. The show was dead before it was in production however.
For once we agree...and what's more now you can never accuse me of "thread crapping" again, because you just did the same thing. Even if I had actually liked the Fish spinoff I wouldn't have argued with your right to disagree about a TV series! That's the beauty of discussing things on a forum. Posted Image

#14 of 16 Stephen Wight

Stephen Wight

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 476 posts

Posted November 13 2006 - 09:54 AM

Quote:
Right.I got my doubts as to wether this is fake.There are alot more believeable shows that somebody could make up cover art for.If,indeed,this isn't fake and is actually being released on DVD,does anybody thing we'll see the other spin-off Detective School released?In that series Inspector Luger ran a detective school and taught a motley collection of students how to become private detectives.Among the students were the lady who played Aunt Esther in Sanford & Son and Randolph Mantooth(Emergency!).

#15 of 16 David Rain

David Rain

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts

Posted November 13 2006 - 12:12 PM

This "Fish" is starting to smell.
Still Turning the Beat Around at Our Cool New Pad

Retro Remixes

#16 of 16 Jon Baker

Jon Baker

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted November 14 2006 - 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve...O
Got to be a joke/fake. I saw this in its original run and there is a reason why some shows not only live in obscurity but deserve to be there.

I don't know why everyone is down on "Fish". I thought it was a good show. Remember Victor and Denise Miller - "Hey Mista Fish!"

More negative comments found regarding "Fish":

-Okay, Fish, a pessimistic, misanthropic sad sack retires so he and his wife can play nursemaids to a house full of adorable juvenile delinquents, none of whom take drugs or commit acts of violence. How much coke did the ABC brass snort before coming up with that idea? And why did Abe Vigoda forget how to act between "The Godfather" and "Barney Miller?" Tessio was a scary, slimy MF with a shark's grin (pardon the pun), Fish looked and acted like a reanimated corpse

-You can't take a character who was present at the beginning of one show and expect a successful spin-off. Fans of "Barney Miller" were always left to wonder if tired, old Fish would even make it to retirement. Once he did, that question was answered. Familiar to unfamiliar is always a recipe for disaster. "Fish" was truly out of water.

-They took the best character from Barney Miller and gave him his own stupid show. BIG MISTAKE. It definitely jumped when he and his wife were moving into the house and his wife encouraged him to squint so the house would look better. And didn't he adopt a little black kid at some point?

...and yes, Abe Vigode is still alive. The woman who played his wife had passed away not long ago. I don't know what happened to any of the kids except for Todd Bridges who played Loomis.

I would buy "Holmes and Yoyo" too if it ever got released.

Back to TV on DVD and Blu-ray

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Forum Nav Content I Follow