Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Freddie Mercury biopic in the works

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 OFFLINE   Michael Allred

Michael Allred

Screenwriter

• 1,718 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted November 09 2006 - 02:32 AM

http://uk.news.yahoo....y-mercury.html

Quote:
A film tribute to rock band Queen is being produced, prompting a battle between the biggest showbiz names desperate to be cast as the late Freddie Mercury.

The We Will Rock You musical which features the band's hits, has been a massive success. But this movie is the first ever attempt to document the charismatic singer's life. Mercury died of an Aids related illness in 1991.

The surviving members of the band - Brian May, Roger Taylor and John Deacon - will all be involved in the project.

Guitarist May says, "There is a film in the pipeline and we're all involved in it.

"I'm not allowed to say much about it and casting isn't finalised but we've had some incredible offers to play Freddie. Really incredible."

#2 of 7 OFFLINE   BridgetJZ

BridgetJZ

Second Unit

• 262 posts

Posted November 09 2006 - 02:58 AM

ick!

I'm not too sure that this is such a fantastic idea...

#3 of 7 OFFLINE   Michael Allred

Michael Allred

Screenwriter

• 1,718 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted December 22 2006 - 07:00 AM

from www.brianmay.com on reports of Johnny Depp portraying Mercury;

Quote:
But you're right about one thing ... Johnny Depp is fantastic. He would be a worthy counterpart for Freddie on screen. I don't think I can say any more right now.

Here's a bit from article:

Quote:
PIRATES Of the Caribbean star Johnny Depp is in line to play Freddie Mercury in a Hollywood biopic.

The movie, planned for next year, is being developed by Robert De Niro's Tribeca Productions and will focus on Mercury's life, from his birth in Zanzibar in 1946 to his AIDS-related death in 1991, when he was just 45.

Queen guitarist Brian May and drummer Roger Taylor will have the final say over the music in the film - which will see Depp 43, miming to Mercury's original vocal recordings.

Mercury's long-term girlfriend, Mary Austin said: 'I can't think of anyone better to play Freddie.'

#4 of 7 OFFLINE   Coressel

Coressel

Supporting Actor

• 668 posts

Posted December 24 2006 - 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BridgetJZ
ick!

I'm not too sure that this is such a fantastic idea...

Well, if the surviving members of the band are behind it, then maybe it will be cool.

As a life-long Queen fan, I'd love to see this. If it's true that Depp is playing Mercury, then that's fantastic news indeed.

#5 of 7 OFFLINE   WillG

WillG

Producer

• 5,234 posts

Posted December 24 2006 - 09:47 AM

I'm definately interested in a big screen biopic of Mercury. But yeah, it's taking a chance. This film is going to truly live or die with how that performance turns out. And nailing the character of Mercury is going to be a real challenge. Love him or hate him, there's no denying that he was one of a kind
STOP HIM! He's supposed to die!

#6 of 7 OFFLINE   Nigel McN

Nigel McN

Supporting Actor

• 848 posts

Posted December 25 2006 - 02:41 AM

Depp would be interesting, certainly a lot better than many I could think of.

#7 of 7 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,513 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted December 25 2006 - 04:53 PM

Some cases, like Walk the Line, it's really neat seeing the stars sing the songs themselves. Not so with Mercury. Nobody's got pipes like that man had. I could definitely see Johnny in the role.

Back to Movies (Theatrical)

Forum Nav Content I Follow