What's new

Studio Canal and Weinstein Company HD DVD Cover Art (1 Viewer)

AaronSCH

Second Unit
Real Name
Aaron Schneiderman
Well, it looks like some of the Studio Canal releases will now be in the new red HD DVD keep cases. It will be nice to get our hands on some of the titles that might only be available on Blu-ray here in the U.S such as "John Carpenter's The Fog," "Total Recall," "Basic Instinct," and the "Rambo" films. "The Elephant Man," "The Pianist" and "King Kong" will eventually be released by Universal and Paramount here at home, but some people may want them now. Here are the Weinstein Company covers as well. Enjoy

AaronSCH

Second Unit
Real Name
Aaron Schneiderman
I tried to find a list of films that Studio Canal distributes in Europe that may be MGM, Fox or Columbia (Sony) product. Anybody have European distribution information? With the absence of regional coding we may be able to get our hands on a number of HD DVD titles being denied the U.S market

Daniel_TS

Stunt Coordinator
http://www.resetmag.com/planning/hddvd/

monday 5 march 2007

Arizona Dream | USA/France 1992
HD DVD | Studio Canal

La Grande Vadrouille | France 1966
HD DVD | Studio Canal

L'Armée des Ombres | France 1969
HD DVD | Studio Canal

Le Lauréat (The Graduate) | USA 1967
HD DVD | Studio Canal

Le Pacte des Loups | France/Italy 2001
HD DVD | Studio Canal

Leaving Las Vegas | USA 1995
HD DVD | Studio Canal

Les Trois Jours du Condor (Three Days of the Condor) | USA 1975
HD DVD | Studio Canal

Million Dollar Baby | USA 2004
HD DVD | Studio Canal

Mulholland Drive | USA 2001
HD DVD | Studio Canal

Nous étions soldats (We Were Soldiers) | USA 2005
HD DVD | Studio Canal

Ran | Japon 1985
HD DVD | Studio Canal

Serpico | USA 1973
HD DVD | Studio Canal

Terminator 2 | USA 1991
HD DVD | Studio Canal

Traffic | USA 2000
HD DVD | Studio Canal

Voyage au bout de l'enfer (The Deer Hunter) | USA 1978
HD DVD | Studio Canal

dkny75

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Danny
Xploitedcinema is a great site and has awesome customer service. I order Harry Potter from them (UK version) yesterday and it shipped in less than a hour from when I placed my order.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member

Yes they do. It will be great to have a reliable source for imports- and the non issue of PAL/NTSC with HD will be great too. I got in my copy of King Kong 76 yesterday but haven't had a chance to watch it yet. Hope to do so tonight.

AaronSCH

Second Unit
Real Name
Aaron Schneiderman
I am fighting the desire to order The Machinist, King Kong '76 and The Elephant Man because Paramount will probably hurry domestic release if they have made their way to HD DVD in Europe already. I plan on ordering John Carpenter's The Fog, Basic Instinct, Rebellion (Equilibrium) and Total Recall all Blu-ray exclusives in the U.S. I am just waiting to get some feedback on quality and whether the subtitles are forced.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
from what I have heard in several reviews the subtitles are NOT forced in any way.
In the case of Kong (and possibly Elephant Man) Paramount doesn't own the rights in Europe and is not releasing these there. They are owned by Studio-Canal. Given that Paramount had the opportunity to tie-in an easy special edition of Kong with one of the most hyped films last winter, and chose not to- on a format that enjoys overwhelming popularity, makes me seriously doubt that Kong 76 will get a release early in this formats history. Good grief, Paramount is notorious for not exploiting their catalog on any format in recent years, and after releasing only a few handfuls along with Mission Impossible, have pretty much taken a vacation alltogether.
No, I'm not expecting anything interesting from Paramount until the regime there changes.
I'll feel pretty secure ordering more imports of their film in the future.

Equilibrium is now out of print- get it while you can

Fritz Nilsen

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Fritz Nilsen
FYI:

I have the Equilibrium disc, it's from Japan actually (under the alternate title: Rebellion). On the back it states 1080i -interlaced.

First and only disc I've seen thats not progressive (bar those early US Warner titles that were from interlaced masters). The disc was issued by Toshiba.

Another Toshiba Japan title I own is Reign of Fire, and that just states "1080HiDef" on the back. I suspect it may be interlaced as well.

I've yet to buy a HD DVD player so I can't tell you what's actually on the discs, just what the cover states. (9 HD DVD titles and counting, and the players aren't even out over here 'till Dec/Jan. Madness!)

Fritz Nilsen

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Fritz Nilsen
I just received my King Kong (Jackson) and Doom from Universal UK. Noticed that the UK titles have different boxes than the US discs. The UK ones are the same width and height as the US, but they are thicker, like regular Amaray DVD cases. No biggie, they just don't match on my shelves. The HD DVD logo on top is actually embossed in silver, though. Nice touch.

I preordered the Rambo titles from Amazon France. They were supposed to street nov. 20, but have yet to ship as of dec.1. Anyone else received these discs from other vendors?

And for Japanese HD DVDs I recommend YesAsia Global. http://global.yesasia.com/en/Chinese/Index.aspx
They offer free shipping worldwide on purchases over $25 and are fast (titles take 5 days from Hong Kong to Norway). I've been using these guys for several years for DVD imports and they have yet to do me wrong.

AaronSCH

Second Unit
Real Name
Aaron Schneiderman

Well Paul, I guess that seals the deal for me. I was afraid I would have to watch with subtitles. I still think I am gonna wait on the Paramount stuff. I think we will begin hearing about a number of new releases in the weeks following the holidays.

Why is Equilibrium already out-of-print? That's bizarre. Did Buena Vista pull the plug?

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
i was just realizing last night that Parmount missed three golden opportunities for exploiting the 76 Kong. One was when the jackson film was released last year. All they chose to do was re-release the old disc with different jacket art.
The next opportunity was when Kong '05 was released on dvd in the spring.
and the third was anytime this year as this would have marked a 30th anniversary release.

I feel more confident than ever that getting the import was a solid choice. I don't think Paramount has any love for the film whatsoever- which would make sense as they seem to hate catalog material in general.
I love the film, though, and paying $36 with shipping wasn't a problem.
when I look at all the import DVD purchases I've made over the years, I would have to say this counts as the most satisfying easily.

I'm off to pre-order The Fog now...and maybe Total Recall

Rolando

Screenwriter
scary movie 4? isn't that from Dimension? As in Disney?
Could HD-DVD of Scream and The Crow be possible sometime soon?

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
There's been a bit of an overlap between Miramax/Dimension and the Weinstein company; I think pretty much anything that was in production when the Weinsteins left Disney became a co-production.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks