-

Photo
- - - - -

Studio Canal and Weinstein Company HD DVD Cover Art

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
25 replies to this topic

#1 of 26 AaronSCH

AaronSCH

Second Unit

• 284 posts

Posted November 06 2006 - 08:36 AM

Well, it looks like some of the Studio Canal releases will now be in the new red HD DVD keep cases. It will be nice to get our hands on some of the titles that might only be available on Blu-ray here in the U.S such as "John Carpenter's The Fog," "Total Recall," "Basic Instinct," and the "Rambo" films. "The Elephant Man," "The Pianist" and "King Kong" will eventually be released by Universal and Paramount here at home, but some people may want them now. Here are the Weinstein Company covers as well. Enjoy

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 of 26 Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair

Producer

• 3,320 posts

Posted November 06 2006 - 10:21 AM

Thanks.
Time to start selling off even MORE SD DVD's!
Movies are: "The Greatest Artform".
HD should be for EVERYONE!

#3 of 26 AaronSCH

AaronSCH

Second Unit

• 284 posts

Posted November 06 2006 - 02:37 PM

I tried to find a list of films that Studio Canal distributes in Europe that may be MGM, Fox or Columbia (Sony) product. Anybody have European distribution information? With the absence of regional coding we may be able to get our hands on a number of HD DVD titles being denied the U.S market

#4 of 26 Daniel_TS

Daniel_TS

Stunt Coordinator

• 67 posts

Posted November 09 2006 - 05:44 AM

http://www.resetmag....planning/hddvd/

monday 5 march 2007

Arizona Dream | USA/France 1992
HD DVD | Studio Canal

La Grande Vadrouille | France 1966
HD DVD | Studio Canal

L'Armée des Ombres | France 1969
HD DVD | Studio Canal

Le Lauréat (The Graduate) | USA 1967
HD DVD | Studio Canal

Le Pacte des Loups | France/Italy 2001
HD DVD | Studio Canal

Leaving Las Vegas | USA 1995
HD DVD | Studio Canal

Les Trois Jours du Condor (Three Days of the Condor) | USA 1975
HD DVD | Studio Canal

Million Dollar Baby | USA 2004
HD DVD | Studio Canal

Mulholland Drive | USA 2001
HD DVD | Studio Canal

Nous étions soldats (We Were Soldiers) | USA 2005
HD DVD | Studio Canal

Ran | Japon 1985
HD DVD | Studio Canal

Serpico | USA 1973
HD DVD | Studio Canal

Terminator 2 | USA 1991
HD DVD | Studio Canal

Traffic | USA 2000
HD DVD | Studio Canal

Voyage au bout de l'enfer (The Deer Hunter) | USA 1978
HD DVD | Studio Canal

#5 of 26 Daniel_TS

Daniel_TS

Stunt Coordinator

• 67 posts

Posted November 09 2006 - 05:52 AM

BTW, Renaissance (HD DVD) is from the French editor Pathé, another HD DVD-biased editor :
http://www.dvdfr.com....ce_hd-dvd.html

#6 of 26 Daniel_TS

Daniel_TS

Stunt Coordinator

• 67 posts

Posted November 09 2006 - 05:56 AM

The Pianist (HD DVD) from the Spanish editor DeAPlaneta :
http://www.zonadvd.c....ticle&sid=6835

Brothers Grimm (HD DVD) from the Spanish editor DeAPlaneta :
http://www.zonadvd.c....ticle&sid=6958

#7 of 26 Daniel_TS

Daniel_TS

Stunt Coordinator

• 67 posts

Posted November 09 2006 - 06:03 AM

The Downfall: Hitler and the End of the Third Reich (HD DVD) from the Spanish editor DeAPlaneta (no English audio track, no English subtitles) :
http://www.zonadvd.c....ticle&sid=2624

#8 of 26 Daniel_TS

Daniel_TS

Stunt Coordinator

• 67 posts

Posted November 22 2006 - 06:39 AM

Running Scared with English audio track (DTS HD 5.1) from Germany :
http://www.ems-newme....ng-scared.html
http://www.amazon.de....?ie=UTF8&s=dvd

Posted Image

#9 of 26 AaronSCH

AaronSCH

Second Unit

• 284 posts

Posted November 30 2006 - 03:28 PM

You can now place orders with this Ohio based company for the European Import HD DVDs: Xploitedcinema.com

Posted Image

Posted Image

#10 of 26 dkny75

dkny75

Stunt Coordinator

• 189 posts

Posted December 01 2006 - 09:01 AM

Xploitedcinema is a great site and has awesome customer service. I order Harry Potter from them (UK version) yesterday and it shipped in less than a hour from when I placed my order.

#11 of 26 Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott

Lead Actor

• 6,546 posts

Posted December 01 2006 - 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkny75
Xploitedcinema is a great site and has awesome customer service.

Yes they do. It will be great to have a reliable source for imports- and the non issue of PAL/NTSC with HD will be great too. I got in my copy of King Kong 76 yesterday but haven't had a chance to watch it yet. Hope to do so tonight.

#12 of 26 AaronSCH

AaronSCH

Second Unit

• 284 posts

Posted December 01 2006 - 04:12 PM

I am fighting the desire to order The Machinist, King Kong '76 and The Elephant Man because Paramount will probably hurry domestic release if they have made their way to HD DVD in Europe already. I plan on ordering John Carpenter's The Fog, Basic Instinct, Rebellion (Equilibrium) and Total Recall all Blu-ray exclusives in the U.S. I am just waiting to get some feedback on quality and whether the subtitles are forced.

#13 of 26 Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott

Lead Actor

• 6,546 posts

Posted December 01 2006 - 08:20 PM

from what I have heard in several reviews the subtitles are NOT forced in any way.
In the case of Kong (and possibly Elephant Man) Paramount doesn't own the rights in Europe and is not releasing these there. They are owned by Studio-Canal. Given that Paramount had the opportunity to tie-in an easy special edition of Kong with one of the most hyped films last winter, and chose not to- on a format that enjoys overwhelming popularity, makes me seriously doubt that Kong 76 will get a release early in this formats history. Good grief, Paramount is notorious for not exploiting their catalog on any format in recent years, and after releasing only a few handfuls along with Mission Impossible, have pretty much taken a vacation alltogether.
No, I'm not expecting anything interesting from Paramount until the regime there changes.
I'll feel pretty secure ordering more imports of their film in the future.

Equilibrium is now out of print- get it while you can

#14 of 26 Fritz Nilsen

Fritz Nilsen

Second Unit

• 398 posts

Posted December 01 2006 - 08:20 PM

FYI:

I have the Equilibrium disc, it's from Japan actually (under the alternate title: Rebellion). On the back it states 1080i -interlaced.

First and only disc I've seen thats not progressive (bar those early US Warner titles that were from interlaced masters). The disc was issued by Toshiba.

Another Toshiba Japan title I own is Reign of Fire, and that just states "1080HiDef" on the back. I suspect it may be interlaced as well.

I've yet to buy a HD DVD player so I can't tell you what's actually on the discs, just what the cover states. (9 HD DVD titles and counting, and the players aren't even out over here 'till Dec/Jan. Madness!)

#15 of 26 Fritz Nilsen

Fritz Nilsen

Second Unit

• 398 posts

Posted December 01 2006 - 08:39 PM

I just received my King Kong (Jackson) and Doom from Universal UK. Noticed that the UK titles have different boxes than the US discs. The UK ones are the same width and height as the US, but they are thicker, like regular Amaray DVD cases. No biggie, they just don't match on my shelves. The HD DVD logo on top is actually embossed in silver, though. Nice touch.

I preordered the Rambo titles from Amazon France. They were supposed to street nov. 20, but have yet to ship as of dec.1. Anyone else received these discs from other vendors?

And for Japanese HD DVDs I recommend YesAsia Global. http://global.yesasi...nese/Index.aspx
They offer free shipping worldwide on purchases over $25 and are fast (titles take 5 days from Hong Kong to Norway). I've been using these guys for several years for DVD imports and they have yet to do me wrong.

#16 of 26 Daniel_TS

Daniel_TS

Stunt Coordinator

• 67 posts

Posted December 02 2006 - 10:57 PM

HD DVD titles from Universal Australia :
http://www.ezydvd.co....title&q=hd dvd

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#17 of 26 AaronSCH

AaronSCH

Second Unit

• 284 posts

Posted December 03 2006 - 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_Scott
from what I have heard in several reviews the subtitles are NOT forced in any way.
In the case of Kong (and possibly Elephant Man) Paramount doesn't own the rights in Europe and is not releasing these there. They are owned by Studio-Canal. Given that Paramount had the opportunity to tie-in an easy special edition of Kong with one of the most hyped films last winter, and chose not to- on a format that enjoys overwhelming popularity, makes me seriously doubt that Kong 76 will get a release early in this formats history. Good grief, Paramount is notorious for not exploiting their catalog on any format in recent years, and after releasing only a few handfuls along with Mission Impossible, have pretty much taken a vacation alltogether.
No, I'm not expecting anything interesting from Paramount until the regime there changes.
I'll feel pretty secure ordering more imports of their film in the future.

Equilibrium is now out of print- get it while you can

Well Paul, I guess that seals the deal for me. I was afraid I would have to watch with subtitles. I still think I am gonna wait on the Paramount stuff. I think we will begin hearing about a number of new releases in the weeks following the holidays.

Why is Equilibrium already out-of-print? That's bizarre. Did Buena Vista pull the plug?

#18 of 26 Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott

Lead Actor

• 6,546 posts

Posted December 03 2006 - 01:49 PM

i was just realizing last night that Parmount missed three golden opportunities for exploiting the 76 Kong. One was when the jackson film was released last year. All they chose to do was re-release the old disc with different jacket art.
The next opportunity was when Kong '05 was released on dvd in the spring.
and the third was anytime this year as this would have marked a 30th anniversary release.

I feel more confident than ever that getting the import was a solid choice. I don't think Paramount has any love for the film whatsoever- which would make sense as they seem to hate catalog material in general.
I love the film, though, and paying $36 with shipping wasn't a problem.
when I look at all the import DVD purchases I've made over the years, I would have to say this counts as the most satisfying easily.

I'm off to pre-order The Fog now...and maybe Total Recall

#19 of 26 Rolando

Rolando

Screenwriter

• 1,317 posts

Posted December 04 2006 - 07:45 AM

scary movie 4? isn't that from Dimension? As in Disney?
Could HD-DVD of Scream and The Crow be possible sometime soon?
Rolando Avendano

My Collection

#20 of 26 Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver

Lead Actor

• 9,306 posts

Posted December 04 2006 - 08:22 AM

There's been a bit of an overlap between Miramax/Dimension and the Weinstein company; I think pretty much anything that was in production when the Weinsteins left Disney became a co-production.
Jay's Movie Blog - A movie-viewing diary.
Transplanted Life: Sci-fi soap opera about a man placed in a new body, updated two or three times a week.
Trading Post Inn - Another gender-bending soap, with different collaborators writing different points of view.

"What? Since when was this an energy...

Forum Nav Content I Follow