Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

HBO's Hacking Democracy

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 Kevin Farley

Kevin Farley

Second Unit

• 395 posts

Posted November 04 2006 - 11:10 AM

I can't believe I'm starting this thread. This has been out for 2 days and we just watched it. If anything, an independent investigation needs to happen into voting machines.

#2 of 5 Patrick_S

Patrick_S

Screenwriter

• 2,969 posts

Posted November 04 2006 - 11:44 AM

That was scary stuff.

I thought the poor election officials were going to start to cry once they saw how easy it was to manipulate the count.

#3 of 5 LewB

LewB

Screenwriter

• 1,282 posts

Posted November 05 2006 - 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick_S
That was scary stuff.

I thought the poor election officials were going to start to cry once they saw how easy it was to manipulate the count.
As should we all.

#4 of 5 Francois Caron

Francois Caron

Screenwriter

• 2,145 posts

Posted November 05 2006 - 03:14 AM

Honestly, this wasn't a big surprise for me. I've been working in the computer field long enough to understand how easy it can be to rig an election that uses electronic voting machines once someone finds "THE" weakness in the system. Plus, the now defunct TechTV show "Screen Savers" once had a guest that demonstrated this very same tactic of switching votes from one candidate to another as a way to rig a vote.

Despite its long known flaws (mainly ballot box stuffing), the use of paper ballots physically marked by humans is probably still the most reliable method to tabulate votes during an election. Whatever happens, you always have a physical paper trail that hasn't passed through a machine at any stage.

I found the film to be a bit on the long side. I was waiting for them to get to the point and demonstrate the flaws in the system.

#5 of 5 Paul_Sjordal

Paul_Sjordal

Supporting Actor

• 831 posts

Posted November 05 2006 - 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois Caron
Honestly, this wasn't a big surprise for me. I've been working in the computer field long enough to understand how easy it can be to rig an election that uses electronic voting machines once someone finds "THE" weakness in the system. Plus, the now defunct TechTV show "Screen Savers" once had a guest that demonstrated this very same tactic of switching votes from one candidate to another as a way to rig a vote.

Despite its long known flaws (mainly ballot box stuffing), the use of paper ballots physically marked by humans is probably still the most reliable method to tabulate votes during an election. Whatever happens, you always have a physical paper trail that hasn't passed through a machine at any stage.

I found the film to be a bit on the long side. I was waiting for them to get to the point and demonstrate the flaws in the system.

Sadly, there seems to be a large number of people who don't want the vote counting to be accurate or reliable. I wonder why they'd want that?
“It’s great to be known, but it’s even better to be known as strange.” —Takeshi Kaga

Forum Nav Content I Follow