Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

The Passion of the Christ: Definitive Edition - 02/06/07

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
47 replies to this topic

#1 of 48 OFFLINE   PaulP

PaulP

Producer

• 3,291 posts

Posted November 03 2006 - 05:06 AM

Via DavisDVD:

Quote:
The two-disc special edition will feature an anamorphic widescreen transfer, Aramaic Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS Surround tracks and English subtitles. Bonus materials have yet to be revealed, so stay tuned for more on that. Retail will be $26.98.

HUGE NEWS!

#2 of 48 OFFLINE   Russell G

Russell G

Executive Producer

• 10,036 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted November 03 2006 - 05:44 AM

I'd pick this up if they corrected the video and sub-title quality.

#3 of 48 OFFLINE   Larry Sutliff

Larry Sutliff

Screenwriter

• 2,858 posts

Posted November 03 2006 - 05:58 AM

I wonder if this will be released on Blu-Ray.

#4 of 48 OFFLINE   Joe Karlosi

Joe Karlosi

Producer

• 6,001 posts

Posted November 03 2006 - 06:16 AM

Well, they duped us again. They said there wouldn't be a "special edition", and here it comes. Anyway --

I'M THERE! Posted Image

#5 of 48 OFFLINE   Peter McM

Peter McM

Supporting Actor

• 923 posts

Posted November 03 2006 - 06:25 AM

I have always held off purchasing this very important work, knowing the rumored SE would eventually appear. One thing seems certain: the re-release will cause the recent firestorm over Gibson's arrest to reignite.
I am Car Salesman of Borg. You will be assimilated with no money down and easy terms available.

#6 of 48 OFFLINE   Nathan V

Nathan V

Supporting Actor

• 960 posts

Posted November 03 2006 - 02:17 PM

I knew this would happen. I'm there. I hope the extras are worthwhile explorations of the filmmaking process and are not targeted exclusively at the more high-profile fans of the film.

Regards,
Nathan
The Tree of Life / Brad Pitt / Sean Penn / Directed by Terrence Malick / 2010

#7 of 48 OFFLINE   Frank@N

Frank@N

Screenwriter

• 1,718 posts

Posted November 04 2006 - 12:49 AM

Wonder if this will be the reduced-violence version they put back in theaters a year or two ago...

#8 of 48 OFFLINE   Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer

Lead Actor

• 7,996 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia

Posted November 05 2006 - 03:54 AM

I'd prefer they deleted the post, the membership, and left it at that. The adults can still talk about the film.
Hey buddy...did you just see a real bright light?

#9 of 48 OFFLINE   Lee-c

Lee-c

Second Unit

• 497 posts

Posted November 05 2006 - 06:50 AM

I wonder if they will put the scenes back in that were taken out before it was released in theaters? Also, they could have the "recut" version with the toned down violent scenes included easily via seamless branching, it would just shorten some of those scenes a bit. And then either version could be watched.

#10 of 48 OFFLINE   Nathan V

Nathan V

Supporting Actor

• 960 posts

Posted November 05 2006 - 08:49 AM

Give me the theatrical cut. I can't foresee having any reason to see the "Aunt Martha" cut, which still would've gotten an R had it been rated. I know there's people out there who prefer that sort of thing, but for me it'd dilute the film's impact.

I too would prefer that this thread remains open, sans his post and membership.

Regards,
Nathan
The Tree of Life / Brad Pitt / Sean Penn / Directed by Terrence Malick / 2010

#11 of 48 OFFLINE   Steve...O

Steve...O

Producer

• 3,293 posts

Posted November 05 2006 - 10:20 AM

This is why I held off on the initial release; the inevitable double dip.

Another vote for the original theatrical cut, which was one of the most powerful motion pictures I have ever seen.

Steve
Please help UCLA restore the Laurel & Hardy films: https://www.cinema.u...aurel-and-hardy

#12 of 48 OFFLINE   paul_austin

paul_austin

Second Unit

• 271 posts

Posted November 05 2006 - 01:49 PM

what? they're not touting this as the "holy grail edition"?
"My Hovercraft is Full of Eels"

#13 of 48 OFFLINE   Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D

Screenwriter

• 2,688 posts

Posted November 05 2006 - 02:17 PM

I'm glad that I passed on the barebones release.....I didn't buy into that bs about there never being an SE for this film. It's way too big a film to not have some significant extras included. I'm definitely in for this release. Posted Image
Recently watched- Die Hard 2: Die Harder, Die Hard, Up 3D, The Grandmaster, Edge Of Tomorrow 3D, The Comedy Of Terrors, The Raven(1963), Mulholland Falls, Saturn 3, Cheers: Season 6, Nosferatu: The Vampyre, Battle Beyond The Stars, Invasion Of The Body Snatchers(1978), Ransom, Dragonheart, Tomb Of Ligeia

Currently watching- Planet Earth, True Blood: Season 2, Gatchaman: The Complete Series, The Equalizer: Season 2, Tales From The Crypt: Season 2, WKRP In Cincinnati: Season 1, Arrow: Season 2, Star Trek: Season 1

"Now I have a machinegun.  HO-HO-HO"

#14 of 48 OFFLINE   Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart

Lead Actor

• 7,477 posts
  • LocationAlpharetta, GA, USA

Posted November 06 2006 - 01:19 AM

I'm hoping there's some material on the cinematography and music. Both were excellent. I've been to a lecture by Jim Caveziel and he had some facinating stories about the filming of The Passion - although, I'm not sure if commentaries would work well. It would be neat if there was a commentary with some scholars. There was a making-of documentary that aired on PAX back in 2004, which was good. Mel Gibson wore a clown nose between some scenes in order to lighten up the actors in the more grisly scenes.

#15 of 48 OFFLINE   Jim Peavy

Jim Peavy

Supporting Actor

• 717 posts

Posted November 06 2006 - 04:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph J.D
I'm glad that I passed on the barebones release.....I didn't buy into that bs about there never being an SE for this film. It's way too big a film to not have some significant extras included. I'm definitely in for this release. Posted Image
My thoughts exactly. And I take it the original's A/V quality left something to be desired?
"I just pre-ordered I DRINK YOUR BLOOD, even though I have no job."

#16 of 48 OFFLINE   Larry Sutliff

Larry Sutliff

Screenwriter

• 2,858 posts

Posted November 06 2006 - 10:57 AM

Quote:
My thoughts exactly. And I take it the original's A/V quality left something to be desired?

It looks great on my setup, but Robert Harris and others with better video equipment felt that it was lacking in detail.

#17 of 48 OFFLINE   RobertDigilio

RobertDigilio

Auditioning

• 13 posts

Posted November 07 2006 - 09:51 AM

The latest on Special Features/Extras for The Passion Of The Christ: The Definitive Edition from Word Distribution (http://www.worddistr....etail&pID=2583) :

The Passion of the Christ is a ground breaking film that has changed countless lives by illuminating the last few hours of Christ's life and ministry on earth. The film stands as the #11 biggest films in terms of box office sales for all time and the original DVD sold over 15 million units. Now, for the first time, we bring you the incredible full story of how this film came to be in The Passion of the Christ - The Definitive Edition. Explore behind the scenes and witness the journey of the many passionate and determined individuals that worked against the odds to bring this culture-impacting film to life.

SPECIAL FEATURES
*2 DVD set
*Commentary From Mel Gibson, Theologian Father William J. Fulco, and Music Commentary by John Debney
*Includes 'By His Wounds We Are Healed: Making the Passion of the Christ' Documentary
*'The Legacy' Feature-Commentary on the Times and Culture during the time of Christ
*Deleted Scenes
*Theatrical Trailers
*Still Picture Galleries
*And Much, Much More

#18 of 48 OFFLINE   PaulP

PaulP

Producer

• 3,291 posts

Posted November 07 2006 - 10:12 AM

Specs look good. "Much, much more" sounds promising as well. Hopefully, "music commentary" means isolated score with commentary.

#19 of 48 OFFLINE   Peter Raber

Peter Raber

Stunt Coordinator

• 115 posts

Posted November 07 2006 - 10:14 PM

Those specs sound very intriguing. I am alwayas a sucker for a good commentary and deleted scenes. I can't wait to see what the much, much more entails as what else could there be?

I waited a year before I bought the bare bones DVD, and still haven't watched it yet. The movie is still fresh in my mind from when it first came out in the theatres. This is the most powerful movie I have ever seen.

#20 of 48 OFFLINE   PaulP

PaulP

Producer

• 3,291 posts

Posted November 20 2006 - 02:21 PM

As per DavisDVD: the street date is now 01/30 (a week earlier), and will also include "The Passion Recut" for us completists! I just hope it's via seamless branhcing, and not the second disc.

Forum Nav Content I Follow