What's new

So, what did you think of the "Friends" season premiere? (1 Viewer)

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
Pretty lame, huh?
I got a few chuckles, thanks to Ross and Phoebe, but otherwise it was pretty dull. Joey's small feet are supposed to make us laugh? Chandler has slippery shoes? Uh-huh. Rachel is pregnant, but we knew that already, and not much was done with it.
They'll have to do better than this.
/Mike

Chuck C

Senior HTF Member
I agree. What a mild episode. I did get a kick out of Monica's dad.."you could get arrested, you're stealing my moves!"
ER...now there's a show baby!
------------------
Chuck
http://www.hometheaterinsider.com

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale
Yes, I was extremely disappointed with this season premeire. Flat, flat, flat. It would have been cool if they had shown Joey trying to be Chinese though.
------------------
Rich
"A) You can never go too far and B) If I'm going to get busted it is NOT going to be by a guy like DAT."
My Website

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, unfortunately I have to agree. Not too great for a season premiere.
How long do you think that they'll string us along with 'Who's the dad?'?
------------------
You want to upgrade again?!!

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
How long do you think that they'll string us along with 'Who's the dad?'?
easy answer: until the season finale (if they're smart). i guess the show is still kinda funny, but i think it's about run it's course.
it seems to me like they did shoot joey acting chinese, but i bet they took it out to prevent any flack from the asian community. i, being asian, would have thought it would have been funny! :)
------------------
You step in the stream,
But the water has moved on.
This page is not here.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
**SPOILER AHEAD**
I keep getting emails on forthcoming Friends episodes from people who've seen the episodes filmed, and the rumour is that they wrap up the question of who the dad is in the next few episodes (and the answer is the very obvious one) - the big issue to be strung out over the series would seem to be whether Rachel will remain independent or end up with the dad (i.e. essentially repeat the same plot line that was charming in Series 2 and boring thereafter). However, these sources have been wrong in the past.

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
I wish the show would have been an hour long. We didn't need another lame comedy after Friends.
------------------
These chicks know how to party! - MoJo JoJo

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
it seems to me like they did shoot joey acting chinese, but i bet they took it out to prevent any flack from the asian community
If they want to do that, it would have to be *VERY* funny and original. Judging from the rest of the episode, they're not quite up to it. So it's funnier to imply that he did something outrageous.
//Ken

John_Lee

Supporting Actor
I notice that those posting on this thread are thus far of the masculine persuasion [as am I]. But I think this was supposed to be a tour de force of drama from Rachael. Not so much funny as pulling-at-your-heartstrings over her decision.
Not sure it succeeded, but I do think the neck line on her bridesmaid dress deserves an outstanding guest appearance Emmy. Yowza.

EricW

Senior HTF Member
i actually liked it, if for no other reason that it's still WAY better than the last half of last season. there were no glaringly bad sub-plots and some good genuine laughs. i think Phoebe doing the whole negative/positive thing was really good.
i mean LAST season's opener, with the whole "stealing thunder" thing... ~that~ was bad.

Robert Monzo

Agent
I liked it too. I thought some of the episode seemed unnecessary such as Phoebe talking about James Brolin being the father of her baby. However, the final scene with Rachel taking a second pregnancy test more than made up for the rest of the episode. Jennifer Aniston was brilliant here. 7.5 out of 10 overall but a solid 10 for that last scene. This will no doubt be Rachel's year.
Also, 31.7 million viewers made it the highest rated episode in 5 years and the 7th highest rated episode in the show's history.
Robert
[Edited last by Robert Monzo on September 29, 2001 at 02:02 PM]

Dave Dugan

Stunt Coordinator
I thought the thing with Ross and the little girls was really cute. The fat joke was a bit cheap, though...
Not a boffo start to the season, but picked last season's tone and energy up seemingly effortlessly.
-Dave

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
Well, this shows that there are a lot of different tastes. I have to say that I liked very much the season premiere. I’m sure there are many other people who liked it. My only concern is Matthew Perry. After all these years, it seems that unfortunately he is unable to overcome his problems in real life and his career has gone downward. Very unfortunate indeed. On the positive side, I find David Schwimmer getting better and funnier with time. He gets some of the best moments of the show right now. Before, I got laughs from Chandler and not much from Ross, but the situation has inversed since 2 seasons ago.
[Edited last by Sam Davatchi on September 30, 2001 at 04:21 PM]

Matty B

Stunt Coordinator
A)Mona is a freaking hottie
B)If Rachel has a baby, and keeps it, the show will successfull have jumped the shark and we can kiss it goodbye, sad because it will leave Will and Grace as the only good show on NBC (good comedy that is)

SteveMc

Stunt Coordinator
Another in agreement here. I was expecting an hour show, it seemed too short IMO. I got a kick out of the Ross dancing thing (yeah the fat joke was cheap but it was funny). When Phoebe did the negative thing I thought "That's soooo mean" but her intentions were good. i thought it was kinda cool. I hope they can keep the series going with this final season, it definately seems to be struggling. I haven't enjoyed that much since the season after everyone knew about Monica and Chandler. IMO, the best ones were when the were hiding it. And my personal fav is where joey finds out.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
We should find out this week who the father is...according to the previews.

I can almost guarantee that's just a way to draw viewers, and nothing will be revealed. NBC are experts at doing that (ER and Frasier, anyone?).
/Mike

DaveZ

Grip
I thought it was one of the more boring Friends episodes I've seen. But finally, this wedding garbage is over! They should have had Chandler's boss there to make it interesting.
The only interesting, or funny, part of the show was Ross dancing with those girls.
"I'm so gonna score!"
"What?"
"I LIKE YOUR BOW!"
Friends Trivia: Did you know according to one episode, Chandler works in the WTC?
[Edited last by DaveZ on October 02, 2001 at 11:25 AM]

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
According to NEXT week's TV Guide Rachel still hasn't told the father. My guess is that Phoebe, who supposedly figures out who the father is, sets up a meeting with Rachel at the coffee shop, which I bet will happen at the last minute of the episode. We'll all gasp because it will be something unexpected or dissapointing. Then, next week, we'll find out that Phoebe got it wrong.
I don't think Ross will turn out to be the father, but I bet Ross and Rachel will get back together by the final episode.
------------------
These chicks know how to party! - MoJo JoJo

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks