Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Day Break - ongoing thread (merged)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
187 replies to this topic

#1 of 188 Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley

Producer

• 3,335 posts

Posted November 02 2006 - 01:31 AM

Anyone plan to watch? I do--the promos look great!

I just hope that "Lost" fans don't turn up their noses at this, seeing as how it's taking over Lost's timeslot for several months. This show was, after all, designed to appeal to Lost's fans in the first place, so that they have something to watch while Lost is on hiatus. I hope nobody gets into the mindset that Day Break is pushing Lost off the schedule and so they will resent it--that's not the case...Day Break is only here so that we don't have to sit and watch reruns of Lost. Anyway, I hope D B does well--it looks very interesting, sort of a deadly version of "Groundhog Day."

#2 of 188 BrettB

BrettB

Producer

• 3,024 posts

Posted November 02 2006 - 03:19 AM

Looks pretty good. Looks like that X-files episode. I'll probably check it out.

#3 of 188 David Dias

David Dias

Stunt Coordinator

• 155 posts

Posted November 02 2006 - 03:39 AM

It looks cool, but obviously the whole living the same day over and over again isn't a new concept. Like you guys have mentioned, it was used in 'Groundhog Day', X-Files, and also an episode of Star Trek TNG and Millennium too.

I'll miss 'LOST' but this looks really promising.

#4 of 188 Stephen Orr

Stephen Orr

Screenwriter

• 1,105 posts

Posted November 02 2006 - 05:35 AM

I think the "repeating the same day over and over" gag was done BEST by SG1, when T'ealc and O'Neill relived that one day hundreds of times. I love these concepts, and will certainly DVR in (don't "tune in" much anymore...")

#5 of 188 Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,628 posts

Posted November 02 2006 - 05:48 AM

Why didn't they name it "Groundhog Day Break"? Posted Image
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#6 of 188 Scott Hanson

Scott Hanson

Screenwriter

• 2,862 posts

Posted November 02 2006 - 05:51 AM

The preview did nothing for me. I think I'll pass. Even though they can change it up as liberally as they want from episode to episode, I don't see how it won't get old after about 4 or 5.

#7 of 188 Jason Harbaugh

Jason Harbaugh

Screenwriter

• 2,968 posts

Posted November 02 2006 - 10:33 AM

I'm hoping it is good to fill that 'Lost' gap. I'll definitely check it out.

#8 of 188 Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley

Producer

• 3,335 posts

Posted November 03 2006 - 12:26 PM

Is it supposed to be an ongoing series, or is it a limited run series to fill that temporary gap for Lost? I can see if they resolve the whole thing in 10 episodes or whatever, then it'll be a good thing, but if it tries to go on for 5 years, believe me, it's going to get old real quick. I was just hoping it'd be a mini series that gets wrapped up and we can move on with our lives...

#9 of 188 Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,628 posts

Posted November 03 2006 - 12:30 PM

From what I can tell, it was just a 13-episode series for now. Perhaps it could get spun off to something else with Taye Diggs's character. (Then again, I sort of miss his other show on the former UPN).

#10 of 188 Howard Glenn

Howard Glenn

Stunt Coordinator

• 189 posts

Posted November 04 2006 - 05:18 AM

Instead of giving this show the green light, why couldn't they just bring back Tru Calling...a show that had an excellent cast, and was just hitting its stride when it was cancelled.

I'll probably check out the program, but I feel like I've already seen this before...and before...and before...and before...

#11 of 188 Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,628 posts

Posted November 04 2006 - 12:20 PM

Tru Calling was on Fox, Day Break is being shown on ABC.

#12 of 188 Louis C

Louis C

Supporting Actor

• 739 posts

Posted November 11 2006 - 11:49 AM

This show looks interesting. I thought I recognized someone from "The X-Files" in the previews they showed during Lost last week. So, I went to http://abc.go.com/pr...ak/gallery.html and sure enough, Mitch Pileggi "Skinner" is there. It is produced by Rob Bowman, also associated with "The X-Files." Also it has Adam Baldwin (from Firefly and Serenity).

That is enough to get my interest. Might be a half-way decent show.

#13 of 188 Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley

Producer

• 3,335 posts

Posted November 14 2006 - 07:22 PM

How did a "Day Break" banner ad end up in this thread? lol; actually that's what I'm looking at right now--you might be seeing something else.

I hate to say it, but the endless promos for this thing are annoying me. I still want to see it, but it might end up being one of those "wait for the dvd" shows for me.

#14 of 188 Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,628 posts

Posted November 15 2006 - 01:42 PM

So far is just feels like he just has recursively bad dreams over and over again.

This is turning into "Run Taye Run".

#15 of 188 Mikah Cerucco

Mikah Cerucco

Screenwriter

• 2,462 posts

Posted November 15 2006 - 03:42 PM

I'm finding it interesting so far. The 2 hour premiere helped establish the groundwork enough that I'm willing to watch it again next week. What doesn't work for me is the basic concept. It's a "real" show that asks you to believe living the same day over and over is possible. Getting past that (kinda), watching it unfold is interesting. At some point, he's going to need to start asking people what he should say to them the next "day" so it doesn't take so long for them to understand. My understanding is it can't be a note in their own handwriting, or anything like that, because the note wouldn't make it to the next day.

Anyway, I can't see how something like this can possibly last very long, but I'm liking that the networks are slowly giving us more quality short-run series instead of lots of re-runs. I've always said I'd rather have series share time slots rather than one series filling a given slot all year, often with reruns. This looks like it'll be a straight through run, which will help me get into it.
Studios, caption your internet streams.

#16 of 188 EricW

EricW

Screenwriter

• 2,309 posts

Posted November 15 2006 - 04:56 PM

i thought it was pretty interesting too, but i went in with low expectations because i thought it'd be lame. it really wasn't so much. there are all the cliche's and reused elements present, the conpiracies etc, i just hope it plays out with some degree of originality.
it looks like each forth coming epidose will be one day instead of the 30 min 'days' in the pilot. and according to epguides, the title of each episode starts with "what if..."
"now, if that's a fact, tell me... am i lying?"

#17 of 188 Qui-Gon John

Qui-Gon John

Producer

• 3,527 posts

Posted November 16 2006 - 12:22 AM

Anyone know if there is going to be an encore of the premiere airing. I didn't realize this started last night?

#18 of 188 Don S

Don S

Stunt Coordinator

• 109 posts

Posted November 16 2006 - 01:19 AM

Loved it. I thought this was very well done. Surprisingly well done in fact...
Don

#19 of 188 Ryan_Papineau

Ryan_Papineau

Agent

• 35 posts

Posted November 16 2006 - 01:23 AM

I enjoyed it as well. Not sure if this is supposed to be an ongoing series or just a short run. If it's an ogoing series, then I could see the concept getting a little old, but I'll definitely be checking it out from now on.

Curious if anyone can help me on this one. Twice in the episode, Taye winds up at what looks like a mining area with a number of large dump trucks. There is a guy speaking to him from the shadows though you can make out his face. I've seen this actor play a bad guy, usually as a henchmen so many times it's ridiculous, but for the life of me couldn't figure out his name or specifically what movies he's been in. Any help?

#20 of 188 Scott De

Scott De

Extra

• 15 posts

Posted November 16 2006 - 01:39 AM

"Curious if anyone can help me on this one. Twice in the episode, Taye winds up at what looks like a mining area with a number of large dump trucks. There is a guy speaking to him from the shadows though you can make out his face. I've seen this actor play a bad guy, usually as a henchmen so many times it's ridiculous, but for the life of me couldn't figure out his name or specifically what movies he's been in. Any help?"

Looked like Jonathan Banks to me...he was a bad guy in one of the Beverly Hills Cop movies and also had an arc on Wiseguy way back in the day, I think. Lots of other guest shots over the years.