Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN ON HD DVD

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
24 replies to this topic

#1 of 25 OFFLINE   Bradley-E

Bradley-E

Screenwriter

• 1,019 posts

Posted November 01 2006 - 08:25 AM

From DVDTIMES:

Universal Studios Home Video have announced the HD DVD release of Brokeback Mountain (Collector’s Edition) for 23rd January 2007 priced at $34.98 SRP. Winner of three Academy Awards®, including Best Director, Ang Lee’s gripping drama comes to HD DVD in collector’s edition form on the same day as the standard definition DVD release.

A HD DVD / DVD Combo release Brokeback Mountain is presented in 1080P 1.85:1 Widescreen with English, French (DDP5.1) and Spanish (DDP2.0) audio and subtitle options on Side A, and in standard definition on Side B. The full array of special features expected on this release are still TBC, but we do know you can expect all-new bonus features, never-before-seen footage and collectible packaging (including postcards).

Posted by Dave Foster on 01-11-2006 20:55 (57 views)

#2 of 25 OFFLINE   dpippel

dpippel

Producer

• 3,303 posts

Posted November 01 2006 - 08:31 AM

Not ANOTHER combo!! Posted Image

Careful man, there's a beverage here!

#3 of 25 OFFLINE   Paul.S

Paul.S

Producer

• 3,814 posts
  • LocationHollywood, California

Posted November 01 2006 - 08:36 AM

Interesting that U is tying an SD re-release to the HD.

#4 of 25 OFFLINE   dpippel

dpippel

Producer

• 3,303 posts

Posted November 01 2006 - 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul.S
Interesting that U is tying an SD re-release to the HD.
Literally. Posted Image

#5 of 25 OFFLINE   Paul.S

Paul.S

Producer

• 3,814 posts

Posted November 01 2006 - 08:48 AM

Heh--well let's keep our fingers crossed that it's like The Thing, Doug: announced as a combo, but released as exclusively HD.

#6 of 25 OFFLINE   MattGuyOR

MattGuyOR

Stunt Coordinator

• 116 posts

Posted November 01 2006 - 01:51 PM

Yeah, why release this as a new 2 disc SD-DVD, only to make the HD-DVD a combo? Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

#7 of 25 OFFLINE   Travis

Travis

Second Unit

• 258 posts

Posted November 02 2006 - 03:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattGuyOR
Yeah, why release this as a new 2 disc SD-DVD, only to make the HD-DVD a combo? Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

One word, money.

#8 of 25 OFFLINE   DeeF

DeeF

Screenwriter

• 1,677 posts

Posted November 02 2006 - 03:43 AM

Do people hate the combos? Why? As long as I'm getting the picture and extras I want, I don't care what's on the other side.

#9 of 25 OFFLINE   Travis

Travis

Second Unit

• 258 posts

Posted November 02 2006 - 03:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeF
Do people hate the combos? Why? As long as I'm getting the picture and extras I want, I don't care what's on the other side.

Ummmmmmmm, how about the fact that you are paying more for something you're never going to watch.

#10 of 25 OFFLINE   DeeF

DeeF

Screenwriter

• 1,677 posts

Posted November 02 2006 - 03:49 AM

Well, that's true.

Here's a funny thing that's pseudo-related: I'm a little bit bummed about the upcoming Ultimate Superman set. I want to buy the set, but I'll also be buying the HD-DVD versions of Superman, Superman II Donner Cut, and Superman Returns.

Any way you look at it, I'll be buying stuff I don't want and won't ever watch (like Superman IV).

#11 of 25 OFFLINE   AaronSCH

AaronSCH

Second Unit

• 284 posts

Posted November 02 2006 - 12:16 PM

Personally, I don't like dual-sided discs. But this movie will really shine on HD DVD. It was beautifully acted, directed and photographed. And besides, how many films can you name where both the good guys get it in the end?

#12 of 25 OFFLINE   Travis

Travis

Second Unit

• 258 posts

Posted November 03 2006 - 03:42 AM

Quote:
And besides, how many films can you name where both the good guys get it in the end?

I'm not going to touch that one with a ten foot pole, lol.

#13 of 25 OFFLINE   dpippel

dpippel

Producer

• 3,303 posts

Posted November 03 2006 - 03:56 AM

Huh-huh. You said "pole".

#14 of 25 OFFLINE   Paul.S

Paul.S

Producer

• 3,814 posts

Posted November 04 2006 - 06:19 AM

I want to buy the set, but I'll also be buying the HD-DVD versions of Superman, Superman II Donner Cut, and Superman Returns.

Any way you look at it, I'll be buying stuff I don't want and won't ever watch (like Superman IV).
In case, by "[a]ny way you look at it," you're analogizing your Supes box situation to combos, I'd argue that's a horse of a different color: titles versus SD / HD versions of that title.

On Supes for whatever reason(s), you're choosing to purchase the box in addition to the separately available HDs of "I", Donner II and "Returns." But any one just interested in HD "Returns" is SOL: they don't have the choice to skip the SD version and pay Warner Bros.' lower list price for a dedicated HD version.

#15 of 25 OFFLINE   Cees Alons

Cees Alons

Executive Producer

• 18,668 posts

Posted November 04 2006 - 11:22 AM

Quote:
Ummmmmmmm, how about the fact that you are paying more for something you're never going to watch.
We bought several DVDs having a P&S on one side and the widescreen version on the other. I never watched the other side on all of them (except the first one: a few scenes just to see that it was there indeed).

The key question is: are we paying for it indeed?
Example: the HD DVD version of Superman Returns (which is said to be a combo) is about $4 more expensive than the BD version, but it features a TrueHD track, while the BD-version doesn't. So our first suspicions that the combo-version costs $4 more doesn't need to be true.

Cees

#16 of 25 OFFLINE   Paul.S

Paul.S

Producer

• 3,814 posts

Posted November 04 2006 - 12:34 PM

Cees: I understand your (academic) point but the (practical) bottom line is that--regardless of one-off exceptions--the list price of U's and WB's combos is higher than standalones. Whether that additional cost is really attributable to higher mastering costs is of course very debatable. Personally, I think the studios are using the combo as a gimmick/specious rationale for a higher list price that's not empirically justifiable.

P.S. - Unlike the R2 according to your post, Stateside Batman Begins is not a combo and I think has the same list as other non-combo Warner titles.

#17 of 25 OFFLINE   dpippel

dpippel

Producer

• 3,303 posts

Posted November 05 2006 - 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cees Alons
We bought several DVDs having a P&S on one side and the widescreen version on the other. I never watched the other side on all of them (except the first one: a few scenes just to see that it was there indeed).
The difference is that SD DVDs that include, where applicable, both fullscreen/P&S and widescreen versions of the film are not priced any higher than a DVD containing just one version of the film. Combos carry a premium pricetag over their non-combo counterparts.

Quote:
Example: the HD DVD version of Batman Begins (which is said to be a combo) is about $4 more expensive than the BD version, but it features a TrueHD track, while the BD-version doesn't. So our first suspicions that the combo-version costs $4 more doesn't need to be true.
"Batman Begins" can be found at several online retailers for $19.95 and $19.99 at Target B&M stores. The U.S. release is not a combo disc and since HD-DVD is not region coded you can buy it from any retailer that will ship to you and play it just fine. Besides Cees, this film is not yet available on Blu-ray anywhere AFAIK.

The point is that every single combo disc released so far carries a MSRP of $39.99 and retails for $24-$37 depending on where you make your purchase. We ARE paying a premium for them. There's no question about it.

#18 of 25 OFFLINE   Jace_A

Jace_A

Second Unit

• 293 posts

Posted November 05 2006 - 09:39 AM

Quote:

Example: the HD DVD version of Batman Begins (which is said to be a combo) is about $4 more expensive than the BD version, but it features a TrueHD track, while the BD-version doesn't. So our first suspicions that the combo-version costs $4 more doesn't need to be true.

Cees

Batman Begins isn't an HD-DVD combo and has not been announced for Blu-Ray.

#19 of 25 OFFLINE   Cees Alons

Cees Alons

Executive Producer

• 18,668 posts

Posted November 05 2006 - 11:25 AM

No.
I meant to type Superman Returns, but somehow my fingers mixed up the heros. Posted Image
Thanks, I edited my post to correct it.

Cees

#20 of 25 OFFLINE   Paul.S

Paul.S

Producer

• 3,814 posts

Posted November 05 2006 - 12:29 PM

It's still a problematic notion (made difficult to disprove because I don't think there are any BDs with TrueHD at this time? . . . and even if there were, they wouldn't be combos), and now we're comparing chalk and cheese as it were: I think BD and HD DVD have different list prices to begin with, yes?

There are combos with no TrueHD that still carry that higher list (i.e. Rumor Has It, Animal House).

Back to Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow