What's new

Hissing from rear speakers...Help? (1 Viewer)

Jean D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jean D
In my bedroom 5.1 setup, Im running some cheap Cambridge Soundworks Cubes and 12" box Sub off of a cheap low end Sony Receiver. When Im watching something (and I think it happens with both 2.0 and 5.1), I hear a hissing from my rear speakers only. the connections are fine and the speaker wire is also good, Ive adjusted the levels via SPL meter and DVE. Ive had these speakers hooked up to a higher Sony receiver model and didnt experience this before, I believe the hissing is due to the receiver. Can anyone confirm this or give me any tips to fix this?

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I would almost say it sounds like you are using the variable analog output on your dvd player. Are you using the digital out exclusively? Because if you are and you have set your levels with and SPL and DVE and the settings are correct. I would say you have yourself a problem in your Sony receiver. My experiences have been that the standard Sonys have problems IMHO. If you have a shop that will give you a free diagnoses, I would take it in and find out if its worth fixing? How old is the reciever? If its getting old you might want to replace it if the cost of fixing it is to high?

Jean D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jean D
The Sony is fairly old Im guessing 6-8 years old, plus it was a low end one that came in a set with a 5 disc dvd player and cheap sony speakers. I wanted 5.1 in the bedroom and I just took a bunch of old stuff I had lying around and threw it together. Im using dig coax as the input. perhaps I should try the optical. I have a feeling its the reciever though. Too bad, I was hoping that my next upgrade in the bedroom would be the SVS SBS-01's, and bass shakers. looks like I may have to upgrade my reciever in the livingroom and transplant that one into the bedroom (it also happens to be a Sony). It's about 5 years old, but I havent had any problems at all......yet.:)

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
It wouldn't hurt to try the optical at all. If you upgrade your livingroom reciever I would recomend a Pioneer Elite or Denon. I am asuming that your livingroom system is a home theater set up and its where you watch the majority of your movies. The Denon's have great processing, they use better parts and have stronger amplifier sections than the Sony's. If you are dead set on Sony I would at least step up to a Sony ES instead of the standard line. The ES uses better parts, better chassis and the power supply is alittle bigger. That is if your problem with your bedroom reciever is not fixed.

Jean D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jean D
Oh dont worry, Im a fan of Denon, I only had Sony to get me buy for now. Yeah my livingroom is primarily movies, but I do use it for music streamed through my 360, DVD-A and SACD's. So Id say 50/50.

Robert_Gaither

Screenwriter
If it's just for the bedroom I'd recommend a cheap Sherwood AVR to replace what you have. I had the same problem as to what you have with my former Pioneer AVR (one of thier first DD AVRs) and I think this was pretty common for most brands mass market models (I notieced this seem to disappear when companies started to add DTS processing to their budget AVR lineup) sold in your non-audio only stores (Bestbuy etc). I think the Sony budget AVRs are the worst models out there imho (and it seems yours came from a htib which is a compromise at all levels).

Jean D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jean D
Well, my livingroom one is my primary area, and when I do update that it will be to a Denon AVR-2807 I think. once I do that, I think Ill just move teh Sony in there to the bedroom and toss the other one, (or use it as an amp for more bass shakers if possible)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks