What's new

Superman Returns Sequel discussion thread (1 Viewer)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino

He certainly is capable, I just personally hope he delivers a more balanced film (for me) this time.

I eagerly await the next installment and hope for the best.:)

Jason Roer

Supporting Actor
Hey All,

I second this thought that the next one could be great, and I hope it is. Singer has proved with the X-Men series that he can balance character and action. I was blown away by X-Men and I think that's where much of my disappointment with Superman Returns lies. But let's see where this goes!

Cheers,

Jason

Cory S.

Supporting Actor
Singer will pull it off. I personally feel that he doesn't have that far to go to balance it off because I greatly enjoyed what he did in Returns.

Still, I have no doubt, with the threads he's created and left unfinished in Returns, that the sequel will have more drama and more conflict, without sacrificing character that I think he got right in Returns.

I just really love what's going with DC's two biggest properties under the direction of Nolan and Singer. Hopefully, they won't get burned out.

Norm

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Norm
As much as Singer wanted to match his movie with Donners. To me they just seem to be in different universes. I sure wish he ignored Donners versions.

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
I don't have a problem with Zod, but I know it will piss off a lot of other folks. Thanks for the link, Norm.

Norm

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Norm
I don't mind Zod either but I think they need another Villain like Bizarro or someone else with super powers.

CoreyII

Second Unit

Well let's see there is:

Silver Banshee

Parasite

Myxlptlyyx (I know I spelled that wrong)

Bizzaro

Brainiac

Imperiex

Manchester Black and the Elite

Livewire

Satanus

Ruin

Maxima

Mongul

Lobo

and of course Darkseid.

Those are the one's off the top of my head.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Intergang would be fun.

Zod is a complete waste...if they go that way, I'll probably skip the film. It will indicate rather strongly that Singer doesn't care about Superman...just Donner's Superman I and II.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Zod. Bah. Just WHAT is the aversion to doing something ORIGINAL with Superman??? Singer did the homage bit in "Returns" and almost carried it too far, but IMO pulled it off without the project evolving into an actual remake. It worked once. Just once. :D But PLEASE, let's not do yet another Hollywood retread job by bringing characters from "Superman II" into the new series when there are so many great, FRESH ideas out there to work with as far as Supes is concerned.

If this is true and they go with Zod in the second film, what a testament it would be to a complete lack of guts and imagination. What would follow, Snoop Dog reprising Richard Prior's role in the "reimagining" of "Superman III"??? No thanks. And no offense to those of you who would like to see Zod return in a new Superman film, but I'll certainly not be buying any tickets (or DVD/HD-DVD) if this comes to pass.

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member
Doug nailed it.

I've promoted the view that SR was a "bridge" from the Donner films to a new Superman series. If they go with Zod in the SR sequel, it will be clear that they only want to retreat Donner and not take those characters in interesting new directions. Plus, Zod died in Superman II.

Bryan Ri

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan
I would love to see Braniac or Darkseid, or even the Cyborg. There are plenty of major baddies besides Zod that Supes could fight. Hell, throw Doomsday in there for kicks (even though you would get about zero characterization from him).

I wouldn't put too much stock into that Zod rumor, it's been flying around since before Singer was on board.

Adam Santangelo

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adam Santangelo
I can't imagine Singer touching Zod, considering how carefully he sidestepped around directly referencing Superman II in Returns. While I loved the connections to Donner's film in SR, I think bringing back General Zod would be a bit too much.

I really don't care whether they use a villain from the comics, but I do think a foe who can somehow fight toe-to-toe with Superman is the way to go, something imaginative now that all the set-up of SR is out of the way. When I look at the Metallo stuff from the SR videogame trailer, that seems to me like the kind of villain that would knock people's socks off.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I thought they cut it by more than $100,000 ? That's pennies to a film studio.

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
I think that Singer knows he will open himself to an immense amount of criticism if he goes with Zod, so I doubt he'll be back(unless it's some kind of cameo). I think that the chunk of New Krypton that Superman threw into space will play some part in the sequel. And I wouldn't be surprised if it involves either Brainiac or Darkseid. I bet Luthor will be around as well(I know this will excite the masses. ;) )

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
I assume they meant $100M...as the number tossed around for both S2 and B2 is $175M. Which is a increase for Batman :)

A cameo by Zod is fine...making him the major villain would be terrible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks