-

Photo
- - - - -

Superman Returns Sequel discussion thread

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
486 replies to this topic

#1 of 487 OFFLINE   Larry Sutliff

Larry Sutliff

Screenwriter

• 2,855 posts

Posted October 26 2006 - 04:55 AM

Thanks to TerryRL's post in the box office thread, I found this little item about the SR sequel on IESB.NET:
http://www.iesb.net/....=581&Itemid=27

Quote:
The studio was quite happy with the way Supes was reintroduced to the world and next time around expect to see him in full action battle mode. We’ve been told that Superman will have the battle of his life in the sequel and audiences can expect one of the ultimate baddies in the D.C. universe to come to Metropolis to pick a fight with the Man of Steel.

I don't want to see the SR sequel sacrifice the characters for action. But I trust Singer to create a film that will satisfy both fans of SR and those who wanted something a bit different.

#2 of 487 OFFLINE   Tim Glover

Tim Glover

Lead Actor

• 7,661 posts

Posted October 26 2006 - 05:29 AM

Good link Larry...more from that:

Quote:
Weeks before the DVD has it’s grandiose release, the IESB has learned that Bryan Singer has finalized a deal to move forward with the sequel this past weekend and the studio is planning to start production sometime next fall, possibly next September.

Posted Image

#3 of 487 OFFLINE   PeterTHX

PeterTHX

Screenwriter

• 2,034 posts

Posted October 26 2006 - 06:49 AM

Quote:
I don't want to see the SR sequel sacrifice the characters for action. But I trust Singer to create a film that will satisfy both fans of SR and those who wanted something a bit different.

"X2" proved Singer can do both. Posted Image

#4 of 487 OFFLINE   Tino

Tino

Producer

• 5,291 posts
  • LocationMetro NYC

Posted October 26 2006 - 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterTHX
"X2" proved Singer can do both. Posted Image

He certainly is capable, I just personally hope he delivers a more balanced film (for me) this time.

I eagerly await the next installment and hope for the best.Posted Image
It's gonna be a hell of a ride. I'm ready. .

#5 of 487 OFFLINE   Jason Roer

Jason Roer

Supporting Actor

• 977 posts

Posted October 26 2006 - 02:49 PM

Hey All,

I second this thought that the next one could be great, and I hope it is. Singer has proved with the X-Men series that he can balance character and action. I was blown away by X-Men and I think that's where much of my disappointment with Superman Returns lies. But let's see where this goes!

Cheers,

Jason

#6 of 487 OFFLINE   Cory S.

Cory S.

Supporting Actor

• 983 posts

Posted October 26 2006 - 10:57 PM

Singer will pull it off. I personally feel that he doesn't have that far to go to balance it off because I greatly enjoyed what he did in Returns.

Still, I have no doubt, with the threads he's created and left unfinished in Returns, that the sequel will have more drama and more conflict, without sacrificing character that I think he got right in Returns.

I just really love what's going with DC's two biggest properties under the direction of Nolan and Singer. Hopefully, they won't get burned out.
"Because he's the hero Gotham deserves.  But, not the one it needs right now.  So, we'll hunt.  Because he can take.  Because, he's not a hero.  He's a silent guardian, a watchful protector.  A DARK KNIGHT."

#7 of 487 OFFLINE   Norm

Norm

Screenwriter

• 2,015 posts

Posted October 27 2006 - 06:57 AM

As much as Singer wanted to match his movie with Donners. To me they just seem to be in different universes. I sure wish he ignored Donners versions.

#8 of 487 OFFLINE   Norm

Norm

Screenwriter

• 2,015 posts

Posted October 27 2006 - 12:18 PM

Quote:
Yep, Bryan Singer is indeed doing another "Superman" film - and word is, General Zod is about to make his first on-screen appearance in the series, since, well, that recent episode of 'Smallville'. Jude Law has always been the favourite for the part, and an insider told me this week that "nothing's changed. They still want Law to be Zod. Depends on finances". Yep, he's alluding to the sequel's lesser budget - it's had about a hundred grand shaved off, compared to the first film - and whether or not Warner can afford such a big-name cast this time around. Surely, they can.
http://www.moviehole....ey_271006.html

#9 of 487 OFFLINE   Larry Sutliff

Larry Sutliff

Screenwriter

• 2,855 posts

Posted October 27 2006 - 12:59 PM

I don't have a problem with Zod, but I know it will piss off a lot of other folks. Thanks for the link, Norm.

#10 of 487 OFFLINE   Norm

Norm

Screenwriter

• 2,015 posts

Posted October 27 2006 - 01:08 PM

I don't mind Zod either but I think they need another Villain like Bizarro or someone else with super powers.

#11 of 487 OFFLINE   Ray H

Ray H

Producer

• 3,481 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted October 27 2006 - 01:31 PM

I would prefer a villain we haven't seen before. Posted Image
"Here's looking at you, kid."

#12 of 487 OFFLINE   CoreyII

CoreyII

Second Unit

• 474 posts

Posted October 27 2006 - 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray H
I would prefer a villain we haven't seen before. Posted Image

Well let's see there is:

Silver Banshee

Parasite

Myxlptlyyx (I know I spelled that wrong)

Bizzaro

Brainiac

Imperiex

Manchester Black and the Elite

Livewire

Satanus

Ruin

Maxima

Mongul

Lobo

and of course Darkseid.

Those are the one's off the top of my head.

#13 of 487 OFFLINE   Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer

Lead Actor

• 7,980 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia

Posted October 28 2006 - 01:09 AM

Intergang would be fun.

Zod is a complete waste...if they go that way, I'll probably skip the film. It will indicate rather strongly that Singer doesn't care about Superman...just Donner's Superman I and II.
Hey buddy...did you just see a real bright light?

#14 of 487 OFFLINE   dpippel

dpippel

Producer

• 3,201 posts

Posted October 28 2006 - 01:27 AM

Zod. Bah. Just WHAT is the aversion to doing something ORIGINAL with Superman??? Singer did the homage bit in "Returns" and almost carried it too far, but IMO pulled it off without the project evolving into an actual remake. It worked once. Just once. Posted Image But PLEASE, let's not do yet another Hollywood retread job by bringing characters from "Superman II" into the new series when there are so many great, FRESH ideas out there to work with as far as Supes is concerned.

If this is true and they go with Zod in the second film, what a testament it would be to a complete lack of guts and imagination. What would follow, Snoop Dog reprising Richard Prior's role in the "reimagining" of "Superman III"??? No thanks. And no offense to those of you who would like to see Zod return in a new Superman film, but I'll certainly not be buying any tickets (or DVD/HD-DVD) if this comes to pass.

Careful man, there's a beverage here!

#15 of 487 OFFLINE   Chris Atkins

Chris Atkins

Producer

• 3,887 posts

Posted October 28 2006 - 02:35 AM

Doug nailed it.

I've promoted the view that SR was a "bridge" from the Donner films to a new Superman series. If they go with Zod in the SR sequel, it will be clear that they only want to retreat Donner and not take those characters in interesting new directions. Plus, Zod died in Superman II.

#16 of 487 OFFLINE   Bryan Ri

Bryan Ri

Screenwriter

• 1,636 posts

Posted October 28 2006 - 03:50 AM

I would love to see Braniac or Darkseid, or even the Cyborg. There are plenty of major baddies besides Zod that Supes could fight. Hell, throw Doomsday in there for kicks (even though you would get about zero characterization from him).

I wouldn't put too much stock into that Zod rumor, it's been flying around since before Singer was on board.

#17 of 487 OFFLINE   Adam Santangelo

Adam Santangelo

Stunt Coordinator

• 211 posts

Posted October 28 2006 - 04:05 AM

I can't imagine Singer touching Zod, considering how carefully he sidestepped around directly referencing Superman II in Returns. While I loved the connections to Donner's film in SR, I think bringing back General Zod would be a bit too much.

I really don't care whether they use a villain from the comics, but I do think a foe who can somehow fight toe-to-toe with Superman is the way to go, something imaginative now that all the set-up of SR is out of the way. When I look at the Metallo stuff from the SR videogame trailer, that seems to me like the kind of villain that would knock people's socks off.

#18 of 487 OFFLINE   Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Executive Producer

• 11,604 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted October 28 2006 - 04:27 AM

Quote:
Yep, he's alluding to the sequel's lesser budget - it's had about a hundred grand shaved off, compared to the first film
I thought they cut it by more than $100,000 ? That's pennies to a film studio.
The purpose of an education is to replace an empty mind with an open mind.

#19 of 487 OFFLINE   Larry Sutliff

Larry Sutliff

Screenwriter

• 2,855 posts

Posted October 28 2006 - 04:36 AM

I think that Singer knows he will open himself to an immense amount of criticism if he goes with Zod, so I doubt he'll be back(unless it's some kind of cameo). I think that the chunk of New Krypton that Superman threw into space will play some part in the sequel. And I wouldn't be surprised if it involves either Brainiac or Darkseid. I bet Luthor will be around as well(I know this will excite the masses. Posted Image )

#20 of 487 OFFLINE   Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer

Lead Actor

• 7,980 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia

Posted October 28 2006 - 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm R
I thought they cut it by more than $100,000 ? That's pennies to a film studio.
I assume they meant $100M...as the number tossed around for both S2 and B2 is $175M. Which is a increase for Batman Posted Image

A cameo by Zod is fine...making him the major villain would be terrible.
Hey buddy...did you just see a real bright light?

Back to Movies (Theatrical)

Forum Nav Content I Follow