Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Ace In The Hole restoration - DVD Release on 07-17-07 See Post #66

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#1 of 69 OFFLINE   Bruce Morrison

Bruce Morrison

Supporting Actor

• 533 posts

Posted October 28 2006 - 06:48 AM

See the following link:

http://www.filmforum.../films/ace.html

I wonder if Paramount might at last release a DVD based on this restoration? Anyone heard any rumours?
Bruce Morrison

#2 of 69 OFFLINE   Jeff Newcomb

Jeff Newcomb

Second Unit

• 279 posts

Posted October 28 2006 - 01:13 PM

That certainly bodes well. If this new restoration tours other U.S. cinemateques after it finishes run at Film Forum, I would count on it. Paramount did the same thing with The Conformist recently.

#3 of 69 OFFLINE   Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson

Screenwriter

• 2,959 posts

Posted October 30 2006 - 12:05 AM

This is combination with the fact that it is airing on TCM in January (The first television broadcast in nearly a decade - Get your Tivo's ready!) certainly does bode well. However, this film has made regular tours of art-house theaters for years. I've seen it at least twice in Chicago during the last decade. Sadly, this is still a Paramount title and I have very little faith that they will make the right decision. I hope like hell that I'm wrong, but every year there is a thread about this title that seems to point in the direction of a DVD release, and every year it turns out to be just rumor & innuendo. In my opinion, this is easily the best film not yet released on DVD. Come on Paramount!!

#4 of 69 OFFLINE   Jon Hertzberg

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter

• 1,503 posts

Posted February 22 2007 - 02:17 PM

I can't say too much except that an announcement on Ace in the Hole/The Big Carnival, similar to the one regarding if..., should be forthcoming...

#5 of 69 OFFLINE   AlexNoir

AlexNoir

Agent

• 30 posts

Posted February 22 2007 - 05:35 PM

In layman's terms, I would flip a bitch were this to happen. Been wanting to see that one forever.
"Victims? Don't be melodramatic. Tell me, would you really feel any pity if one of those dots stopped moving forever? If I offered you twenty thousand pounds for every dot that stopped, would you really, old man, tell me to keep my money...or would you calculate how many dots you could afford to...

#6 of 69 OFFLINE   Dan McW

Dan McW

Second Unit

• 361 posts

Posted February 22 2007 - 08:36 PM

"Ace" looked pristine and DVD-ready on TCM last month. Pending a DVD release, TCM will run it again at noon EST on March 17. For what it's worth, both Robert Osborne for TCM and the host for AMC in 1999 introduced the film as "The Big Carnival," but "Ace in the Hole" was the title that came on screen seconds later.

#7 of 69 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 25,826 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted February 22 2007 - 10:35 PM

IMHO, the original title of "Ace in the Hole" is what the film should be called.

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#8 of 69 OFFLINE   Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson

Screenwriter

• 2,959 posts

Posted February 23 2007 - 12:56 AM

I couldn't agree more, although my father remembers seeing this in the theater as "The Big Carnival", so his personal fondness for the film is under that name. I purchased an original insert poster several years ago, and I nearly bought the copy that had a secondary label glued over the top of the poster that said "The Big Carnival". The seller thought that the label could be removed and both restored separtely, but I decided to not take my chances and went with the original un-altered poster.

#9 of 69 OFFLINE   Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson

Screenwriter

• 2,959 posts

Posted February 23 2007 - 03:27 AM

I was just reading the "IF" thread. If the announcement is similar than this means that "Ace in the Hole" will be a Criterion release!!!! I'm trying not to scream out loud, right now!!!!!

#10 of 69 OFFLINE   JohnPM

JohnPM

Second Unit

• 273 posts

Posted February 23 2007 - 03:37 AM

Lots more info about the 1951 release of "Ace In The Hole"/"The Big Carnival", with rare photos and ads, etc., at the link below ---

http://greenbriarpic....cm-showed.html

#11 of 69 OFFLINE   Jeff Newcomb

Jeff Newcomb

Second Unit

• 279 posts

Posted February 23 2007 - 04:37 AM

Criterion recently licensed several titles from Paramount. Robinson Crusoe on Mars and If... have already been confirmed. Criterion CEO Jonathan Turrell has suggested (but not definitely confirmed) that Ace in the Hole, Bergman's Face to Face, and Fuller's White Dog may be among the other titles in the works.

#12 of 69 OFFLINE   Jon Hertzberg

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter

• 1,503 posts

Posted February 23 2007 - 04:51 AM

As with Ace in the Hole, Film Forum in New York has recently screened a freshly-struck print of Paramount's White Dog--this was part of their Morricone retrospective.
Morricone at Film Forum

#13 of 69 OFFLINE   oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx

Lead Actor

• 7,632 posts

Posted February 23 2007 - 07:21 AM

looks very promising indeed
Toastmasters International

Communication is Everything

#14 of 69 OFFLINE   Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson

Screenwriter

• 2,959 posts

Posted February 23 2007 - 07:54 AM

That's some great info John. Thanks!

Any thoughts as to extras for Criterion?
  • I would certainly hope for a commetary track (maybe Cameron Crowe?) or some other Wilder expert. Ed Sikov was OK on the Sunset Blvd commetary, but he didn't have anything that I didn't already know. Of course, I've read nearly every book on Wilder so that might happen, no matter who did the commentary.
  • Both opening title sequences
  • Poster art for both versions
  • Information on the Floyd Collins cave-in that was the impetus for the story and also reference in the film.
  • The other thought is an extremely rare documentary on Wilder that was made around the time of "Buddy, Buddy". I have the name written down at home, but I can't find any reference on the web. I think that the name has "99%" in the title.

#15 of 69 OFFLINE   Jeff Newcomb

Jeff Newcomb

Second Unit

• 279 posts

Posted February 23 2007 - 06:22 PM

That's a great list of potential supplements. I think that Crowe might be better (and more likely to participate) in one of the "director introductions" that Criterion used to do. Costa-Gavras, who directed a loose remake of Ace in the Hole (Mad City), might be interesting as well. I'm not familiar with the doc that you are referring to, but I wouldn't mind seeing this one, which was made for German television. The Oscar-nominated animated short The Big Story also seems like an obvious candidate for inclusion.

#16 of 69 OFFLINE   Bruce Morrison

Bruce Morrison

Supporting Actor

• 533 posts

Posted February 23 2007 - 10:04 PM

Wow - I hope it's true about Criterion licensing 'Ace In the Hole'! Together with the news about them releasing 'If...' in June, I'll be thinking Christmas has come early. These are my two most-wanted DVD titles.
Bruce Morrison

#17 of 69 OFFLINE   Jeff Newcomb

Jeff Newcomb

Second Unit

• 279 posts

Posted March 05 2007 - 09:20 AM

Confirmed by Variety:

The article also has other quotes by Becker and Warner's George Feltenstein as well as some unsatisfactory explanation to the foot-dragging on Paramount's The African Queen (No, I don't think there's any chance they'd license that one to Criterion).

#18 of 69 OFFLINE   Bruce Morrison

Bruce Morrison

Supporting Actor

• 533 posts

Posted March 05 2007 - 10:09 AM

That's great news, confirming that Criterion are preparing 'Ace In The Hole'. I wonder if we'll see it this year? Any educated guesses on a likely release date?
Bruce Morrison

#19 of 69 OFFLINE   Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson

Screenwriter

• 2,959 posts

Posted March 05 2007 - 10:24 AM

All I can say is WOW!!! I'm hoping that I'm reading that right and that "Ace in the Hole" is part of the regular Criterion Collection and not the new Eclipse line. Either way, you can count me in for multiple copies.

#20 of 69 OFFLINE   Jeff Newcomb

Jeff Newcomb

Second Unit

• 279 posts

Posted March 05 2007 - 11:01 AM

It will definitely be part of the regular Criterion line. Becker implies as much in the article. Also, Criterion wouldn't pay Paramount hefty licensing fees for something in their budget line.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users