Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Endless Wire - THE WHO

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
16 replies to this topic

#1 of 17 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Executive Producer

• 16,203 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted October 28 2006 - 05:02 AM

well their first studio in 24 years.

i've heard a couple songs and they're not bad.

look forward to the entire album.

i'm hoping someone will know what the bonus exclusive dvd will be that is offered at CC and best buy.

same dvd or different?
facebook.com/whotony

#2 of 17 OFFLINE   Grant B

Grant B

Producer

• 3,213 posts

Posted October 28 2006 - 07:12 PM

24 years my how times fly
I wish they would have called it Townsend & Daltry,
Glad they went on but it's not "The Who". John & Keith were too much of the band.
"Whatever it is, I'm against it!" G. Marx

Sony TAE/TAP/TAN(2)9000ES;DVP-CX860 DVP-CX777ES
Sony CDP-CX270 CDP-CX355 CDP-CX270 CDP-CX355
Sony S-TS 700ES XPR32450Pioneer Elite CLD 79 KEFs (5) Q75s & 20B Subwoofer

#3 of 17 OFFLINE   Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,535 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted October 30 2006 - 07:38 AM

The Best Buy ad says this:

Quote:
Save and get free shipping on Endless Wire, The Who's first studio album in 25 years. This 2-disc set includes a 21-track CD and a limited edition DVD, Live at Lyon filmed on tour in July, 2006. Plus, get a free Best Buy exclusive CD featuring seven additional "Live in Lyon" tracks:

The Seeker
Who Are You
Mike Post Theme
Relay
Greyhound Girl
Naked Eye
Won't Get Fooled Again

Won't Get Fooled Again, Mike Post Theme (which appears to be an original song, as opposed to some Mike Post theme Posted Image ), and Who Are You are probably the audio from the DVD (the other 2 DVD tracks are Baba O'Reilly and Behind Blue Eyes). The Circuit City ad just lists the 21-track CD and 5-track DVD, same as Amazon. I think Best Buy may be the only retailer with an actual exclusive. Both are selling it for $9.99. (They are both also offering expensive import editions.)

I also noticed a new live DVD of a 1999 concert in Vegas that comes out next week.

Quote:
Glad they went on but it's not "The Who". John & Keith were too much of the band.

I agree, but if anyone's going to fill in, Pino Palladino and Zak Starkey were as good choices as any.
"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#4 of 17 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Executive Producer

• 16,203 posts

Posted November 04 2006 - 03:57 PM

anyone yet?

still waiting for my best buy to get their copies in.
had to get a rain check 'cause they wont get them 'till next week.
facebook.com/whotony

#5 of 17 OFFLINE   Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,535 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted November 06 2006 - 04:42 AM

That's strange -- I got mine at Best Buy last Wednesday. Or was it Tuesday?
"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#6 of 17 OFFLINE   Danny Tse

Danny Tse

Producer

• 3,190 posts

Posted November 06 2006 - 05:06 AM

$9.99 at Target for the CD/DVD 2-disc set. Today is the last day.
SACD not listed at sa-cd.net (updated 8/26/2009)

#7 of 17 OFFLINE   Vic_T

Vic_T

Stunt Coordinator

• 203 posts

Posted November 10 2006 - 04:41 AM

I didn't even know about the sale at Target when I got mine. I was surprised when it rang up as only $10. I call that a bargain!

The new album didn't knock me out, but there are quite a few good tracks on it. "Mike Post Theme" is pretty good and appears to be the stand out track.
Hi, how's it going?

#8 of 17 OFFLINE   Russell G

Russell G

Lead Actor

• 9,989 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted November 10 2006 - 04:48 AM

Quote:
I call that a bargain!

The best you ever had? Posted Image

Quote:
The new album didn't knock me out, but there are quite a few good tracks on it. "Mike Post Theme" is pretty good and appears to be the stand out track.

I liked the full length "We Got A Hit".

#9 of 17 OFFLINE   TedT

TedT

Second Unit

• 422 posts

Posted November 10 2006 - 05:16 AM

Quote:
limited edition DVD, Live at Lyon filmed on tour in July, 2006

How long is the DVD? Is it a complete concert?

#10 of 17 OFFLINE   Vic_T

Vic_T

Stunt Coordinator

• 203 posts

Posted November 10 2006 - 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedT
How long is the DVD? Is it a complete concert?

Nope. 5 tracks

1. Can't Explain
2. Behind Blue Eyes
3. Mike Post Theme
4. Baba O Reily
5. Won't Get Fooled Again

Recorded in Lyon France, 2006
Hi, how's it going?

#11 of 17 OFFLINE   Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm

Lead Actor

• 6,885 posts

Posted November 10 2006 - 10:55 AM

Copied from my post on another forum....

I just sat down to watch the live DVD today. I had not seen video of the Pino powered Who until now. Poor Roger, he probably had a cold or something on the night of that show, because I can't believe his voice is that gone. After watching that "Who" I was so dissapointed I pulled out my "30 Years of Maximum R&B Live" LaserDisc set.

Wow.

Keith Moon was a genius.

The guy had fair technical ability and not great timing, particularly on his fills. But the pure musicality of his playing is just amazing. Amazing. And perfect for the ensemble, every time. The musicality and 'feel' of his playing, in service of the song, not the fair to poor technical aspects, reminds me more of jazz drums than typical rock playing.

And Kenny Jones, though he's generally not held in very high regard, was a great replacement. His playing on the 1979 footage, both in the rehearsal studio and live, is excellent. Though technically not as proficient, his playing has much better feel than Simon Phillips, who though a great drummer, was a poor choice for The Who.

The one thing the New Who has going for it is Zack. He seems to fit in really well.

It almost makes me wish they would have stayed together in the 80s instead of splitting up in '82. Almost. Then I listen to Pete's solo work from that period. Would I rather have a follow-up to "It's Hard" or "All the best cowboys have chinese eyes" and "White City: A Novel". The latter.

All Who fans, buy the "30 years" DVD. It's a great document of some fantastic stuff.

I don't know how I like the record. I also got a couple old Roger Waters albums I had never had before in my shipment and they seem to be sticking to my CD players like glue.
Philip Hamm
Moderator Emeritus

#12 of 17 OFFLINE   Mark_TB

Mark_TB

Second Unit

• 339 posts
  • LocationOmaha, Nebraska

Posted November 12 2006 - 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Hamm
Poor Roger, he probably had a cold or something on the night of that show, because I can't believe his voice is that gone.

Sirius satellite radio currrently has a dedicated WHO channel, featuring a live concert recording every night. Many have been from the current tour and, sad to say, Roger's voice is sounding very ragged. (On "Baba O'Riley," his voice ranges from a gruff growl to a shout -- with little in between.) I'm finding this a bit disappointing, since I have tickets for their show in Omaha on December 7th.

Pete sounds good, though, and the musicianship is top-notch, so I'm still expecting a good show.

I think the new album is solid, and it seems to get better with each listening.

Mark

#13 of 17 OFFLINE   Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds

Producer

• 3,597 posts

Posted November 12 2006 - 05:05 PM

Quote:
Sirius satellite radio currrently has a dedicated WHO channel, featuring a live concert recording every night
thanks a lot, i wanted to CANCEL my free 3 month subscription from volkswagen, now you gave me a reason to keep it, and i didnt want to! Posted Image

CJ
And then when I feel so stuffed I can't eat anymore, I just use the restroom! And then I CAN eat more!

#14 of 17 OFFLINE   Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,535 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted November 13 2006 - 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Hamm
All Who fans, buy the "30 years" DVD. It's a great document of some fantastic stuff.

What "30 Years" DVD? There's no DVD of that (at least in region 1).

#15 of 17 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Executive Producer

• 16,203 posts

Posted November 13 2006 - 05:52 AM

there is, or was.

http://www.intervoca...on.aspx/whotony

go to #153

or here to buy it

http://www.amazon.co....?ie=UTF8&s=dvd
facebook.com/whotony

#16 of 17 OFFLINE   Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,535 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted November 14 2006 - 03:48 AM

OK, that is really strange. I went to Amazon to look it up, and it didn't show up in the search! Thanks for the link!

#17 of 17 OFFLINE   Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,535 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted November 14 2006 - 03:51 AM

Loved this comment (for the VHS edition) that someone posted on Amazon:

Quote:
I'm so lucky to get this gem for only $3.00 in a nice condition, my school's lunch is $2.50 and it sucks!!!!!!!!!

Back to Music & Soundtracks

Forum Nav Content I Follow