-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Hill Street Blues abandoned?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
101 replies to this topic

#21 of 102 MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 6,142 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted October 29 2006 - 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_HR
If "Dramas" are such a bad product to sell why has a series like "Little House" had so many seasons released?

Because Goldhill released it, and they seem to have cut corners on its release.

Enough is enough, Disney. No more evasions or excuses. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray along with the uncut version of Bedknobs and Broomsticks on Blu-ray. I will not support anything your company produces until then.

#22 of 102 Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR

Producer

• 3,596 posts

Posted October 29 2006 - 07:59 AM

Quote:
Because Goldhill released it, and they seem to have cut corners on its release.
Well then FOX should cut corners if it gets all of HSB released. Send them to me in plain white paper if that's what it takes.
Cogito, Ergo Sum
My DVD Library / The BLOOD is the Life!
Pioneer Elite PRO PDP-111FD - 2/28/2009

#23 of 102 Aryn Leroux

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter

• 1,516 posts

Posted October 29 2006 - 08:12 AM

What makes this an even worse decision by fox if true, is we are not talking about just a tv show or just a drama, we are talking about one of the finest shows to ever grace the boob tube. HSB Changed the face of television forever and good sales or not FOX Should be required to release it or farm it out to someone who will. I garuntee there are many small companies that would indeed release it till the end. So it must make some money!! The idea it's a total loss for FOX is complete BS. These studios are comparing sales of older shows to what newer shows sell and it is not a fair comparison.

And the same goes for st. elsewhere with its 6 seasons. If you are not going to release it all don't bother give it to someone who will. As much as i love HSB, St. Elsewhere is even more a favorite of mine. I hate to see how i react if they screw with us with these releases.

See all of us are worked up here and we don't know for sure fox is done or not with HSB but the fact gord thinks they are makes me think it's true. Fox needs to make a statement of some sorts.

#24 of 102 Jay_B!

Jay_B!

Screenwriter

• 1,746 posts

Posted October 29 2006 - 09:16 AM

I don't think there should be much worry about St. Elsewhere. If Remington Steele sold well enough to get the whole series out just based on Pierce Brosnan's 007 fame, I think the enduring film career of Denzel Washington paired with the renergized popularity of Howie Mandel should make St. Elsewhere a no-brainer in terms of selling well. HSB didn't have that with any of it's cast members (except maybe Franz who didn't come in until later anyways).

#25 of 102 Bryan^H

Bryan^H

Screenwriter

• 2,594 posts

Posted October 29 2006 - 10:54 AM

I didn't even see Gord's post confirming HSB may be in serious trouble. He's always up to speed about these matters. I was really looking forward to
Fantasy Island season 2, until he noted that it was off the schedule,(contrary to the insert for Sony tv dvd's) which was very bad news, but it did save my sanity, because Sony would never let you know that. They would just let you go crazy all the while thinking season 2 is on the way. I will state now that my earlier post is incorrect, and I'd never bet my life for a money hungry, cheap shot studio like Fox again.

housekeeping 2.jpg

"She always does that, she just wanders away"

#26 of 102 Stephen Wight

Stephen Wight

Second Unit

• 477 posts

Posted October 29 2006 - 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aryn Leroux
What makes this an even worse decision by fox if true, is we are not talking about just a tv show or just a drama, we are talking about one of the finest shows to ever grace the boob tube. HSB Changed the face of television forever and good sales or not FOX Should be required to release it or farm it out to someone who will.
You're right.Hill Street Blues,if not,invented the genre of the dark,gritty,urban police drama with a continuing storyline defiinitely set the standard for it,which later shows would copy.Without Hill Street we,obvoiusly,wouldn't have had NYPD Blue and,perhaps,The Shield.It never ceases to amaze me that the shows with superior writing and great ensemble casting and acting are the ones that don't sell.If Hill Street was a current show with early/mid twentysomethings, in the cast,and deafening music every 5 seconds,you can bet we'd see every season and FOX wouldn't be using the excuse that it doesn't sell.

#27 of 102 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 29,044 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted October 29 2006 - 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Wight
If Hill Street was a current show with early/mid twentysomethings, in the cast,and deafening music every 5 seconds,you can bet we'd see every season...

But, thank goodness, it wasn't...or we wouldn't care.

Posted Image

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#28 of 102 Jay_B!

Jay_B!

Screenwriter

• 1,746 posts

Posted October 29 2006 - 12:44 PM

Quote:
If Hill Street was a current show with early/mid twentysomethings, in the cast,and deafening music every 5 seconds,you can bet we'd see every season and FOX wouldn't be using the excuse that it doesn't sell.

actually, Warner abandoned Everwood when it was current, and it had a lot of early/mid twentysomething actors in the cast

#29 of 102 Stephen Wight

Stephen Wight

Second Unit

• 477 posts

Posted October 29 2006 - 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_B!
actually, Warner abandoned Everwood when it was current, and it had a lot of early/mid twentysomething actors in the cast
I think that would be the exception rather than the rule.

#30 of 102 Mike*SC

Mike*SC

Second Unit

• 260 posts

Posted October 29 2006 - 03:47 PM

Quote:
FOX wouldn't be using the excuse that it doesn't sell.
I truly never understand how people can use the word "excuse" in this context. Are you suggesting that they have a secret agenda to let a profitable resource go unexploited?

#31 of 102 Sam Favate

Sam Favate

Producer

• 4,771 posts

Posted October 29 2006 - 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord Lacey
I doubt we'll see any more NYPD Blue either; both shows are on hold (the second time for NYPD Blue).

Yikes, I sure hope not. I hope Fox will at least release seasons 5 and 6 (finishing out the Jimmy Smits years). Season 4 ended on quite a cliffhanger!

#32 of 102 Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR

Producer

• 3,596 posts

Posted October 30 2006 - 06:31 AM

Quote:
HSB Changed the face of television forever and good sales or not FOX Should be required to release it or farm it out to someone who will. I garuntee there are many small companies that would indeed release it till the end. So it must make some money!! The idea it's a total loss for FOX is complete BS. These studios are comparing sales of older shows to what newer shows sell and it is not a fair comparison.

And the same goes for st. elsewhere with its 6 seasons. If you are not going to release it all don't bother give it to someone who will. As much as i love HSB, St. Elsewhere is even more a favorite of mine. I hate to see how i react if they screw with us with these releases.

See all of us are worked up here and we don't know for sure fox is done or not with HSB but the fact gord thinks they are makes me think it's true. Fox needs to make a statement of some sorts.

Is FOX just not making ENOUGH profit on HSB or are they losing $$$?

This applies to movies as well as TV shows, I don't see how keeping a product locked in your vault makes a company any $$$? Companies attitude AGAINST farming out product they don't wish to release themselves seems to me to be a formula for losing possible income. By farming out the product they don't wish to spend production money on a company gets some income without the cost of packaging & promoting it themselves. What is the reasoning behind this attitude? Posted Image
Cogito, Ergo Sum
My DVD Library / The BLOOD is the Life!
Pioneer Elite PRO PDP-111FD - 2/28/2009

#33 of 102 Scott_F_S

Scott_F_S

Second Unit

• 408 posts

Posted October 30 2006 - 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_HR
Is FOX just not making ENOUGH profit on HSB or are they losing $$$?

This applies to movies as well as TV shows, I don't see how keeping a product locked in your vault makes a company any $$$? Companies attitude AGAINST farming out product they don't wish to release themselves seems to me to be a formula for losing possible income. By farming out the product they don't wish to spend production money on a company gets some income without the cost of packaging & promoting it themselves. What is the reasoning behind this attitude? Posted Image

It's quite easy to assume -- I guess, because everyone seems to -- that just the fact of releasing a product is a guaranteed profit. It's not. Having something locked in your vault making no money is better than releasing it and losing money.

Keep in mind, there are a boatload of costs associated with releasing a DVD set. It's not a guaranteed win.

#34 of 102 Aryn Leroux

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter

• 1,516 posts

Posted October 30 2006 - 07:01 AM

I really don't see how it is possible to lose money at all. If they tell you they are losing money on a show where they sell say 5k,10k,20k units compared to it sitting in the vault collecting dust, they are full of it!

Not every show needs to sell like seinfeld to make money. A good company is gonna group similar types of shows from certain era's and judge things sales/expected sales from there and not compare sales to current shows and go from there. If they did that most of them would be pretty happy with for an example how HSB has sold and not abandon it. Because the show is making them some money whether they want to admit it or not.

#35 of 102 Aryn Leroux

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter

• 1,516 posts

Posted October 30 2006 - 07:09 AM

Sure there are some cases where it would be better to not bother attempting to release a certain show and keep it in the vault. There are cases for that where you know it's a losing situation going in. But for the most part most of these shows are making a profit that are released. Problem is studios look at it as pocket change and take the attitude why should we bother with this when we can just re-release a bigger name product and make 10 times that much. I have no problem with them doing that at all but don't dismiss the lower end money makers of your company either. Which seems to be the main reason they don't continue with alot of shows. The losing money excuse in most cases is a copout!

#36 of 102 Scott_F_S

Scott_F_S

Second Unit

• 408 posts

Posted October 30 2006 - 07:55 AM

Do you have evidence for your argument, Aryn? Are you privy to the corporate books, or are you just taking a wild guess?

I promise you these people have no hidden agenda to suppress certain products. These corporations survive to turn profits. That's all. If a company knows how to turn a profit from a product, they're not going to keep it in their vaults and make up excuses. That makes no sense.

#37 of 102 Doug Wallen

Doug Wallen

Supporting Actor

• 648 posts

Posted October 30 2006 - 08:32 AM

I don't profess to know how or where studios draw the line for the profitability of television shows. I just know as a dedicated fan that I wish ALL seasons of HSB would be available. I have hooked my son and he is dissappointed that he will not get to see the rest of the story. I admit that I will also miss it. I paid an extra amount for Brisco, I would be willing to pay more for HSB. Don't get me wrong, I like bargains, but I would pay a premium as this is something that I want all seasons for.

I paid much money for H:LOTS and collected all seven seasons. I want all of HSB. But, as I do not make the release decisions, I guess the bottom line does the talking/decision making.

That is sad as this was a truly historic show that changed the way stories were told on TV.

Guess this one gets filed with other discontinued shows like Barney Miller and Night Court.

As everyone else seems to say, I hope this does not happen to St. Elsewhere.
a:5:{s:9:"signature

#38 of 102 Jay_B!

Jay_B!

Screenwriter

• 1,746 posts

Posted October 30 2006 - 08:51 AM

it's not gonna happen with St. Elsewhere!!! they got the entire Remington Steele series out based on the "well, you know Pierce as 007" thing, St. Elsewhere has Oscar-winning megastar Denzel Washington, as well as Howie Mandel, whose career is probably at it's all time hottest thanks to Deal Or No Deal. I think we'll at least make it 2/3 through St. Elsewhere by the end of next year. HSB doesn't (at least in the early years) have any megastars to whore out their popularity to sell DVD's the way Fox did with Brosnan and Remington and Denzel/Mandel for St. Elsewhere.

#39 of 102 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 29,044 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted October 30 2006 - 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_F_S
If a company knows how to turn a profit from a product, they're not going to keep it in their vaults and make up excuses. That makes no sense.

Scott: Have you read the thread about the Disney Company and Song of the South?! Posted Image

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#40 of 102 Scott_F_S

Scott_F_S

Second Unit

• 408 posts

Posted October 31 2006 - 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Frezon
Scott: Have you read the thread about the Disney Company and Song of the South?! Posted Image

No, I haven't. Can you give me a Cliff's Notes version?

Back to TV on DVD and Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow