What's new

Weight limit on commercial toilets? (1 Viewer)

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Just wondering if anybody knows or can guess the mfgr's stated weight limits on toilets made for commercial buildings.

We have toilets that connect to the back wall via 4 fairly thick (3/4"??) threaded rods and washer/nuts and then hooked up to the intake and goes through a pretty wide flange...(4"?)

They are porcelain and they don't touch the floor at all and are connected via the 4 threaded rods to the back of the toilet and then cauked around the edges.

Does anybody know how much weight can the porcelain withstand before it crumbles? I'm just curious, a bunch of us software engineer nerds were talking about it the other day. Apparently one of the toilets developed a leak behind a wall so maintenance went in there and removed the toilet and also a lot of the tiling behind it to expose the wall so I got a chance to see the innards.... Then we started wondering about weighs and how to crack it... bwahhahahahaha...

Jay

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member
Oh! Oh! I know !!
htf_images_smilies_rock.gif

Well, sort of...

I work in a hospital with toilets that attach to the wall (rather than seated on the floor). The common wisdom is that, for any patient greater than 250 lbs., they are to steer clear of the permanent toilets and use a bedside commode.

I know of one unhappy instance where the toilet wasn't up to the task.

Jon

TimtheToolman

Auditioning
Real Name
Richard
Wall Mount Closets have a 500lb limit and Floor Mount Closets have a 1000lb limit. Per Kohler Mfg.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Holy thread bumps. What made you search that out and post it as an intro? Normally I'd suspect foul motives but this one is just too.... rich?!?!

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Is there a good reason to have a toilet not touching the floor? Even if you've got a good reason to run the plumbing out the back, why wouldn't you want to use the support provided by the floor?

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
In a public setting, probably so they can easily mop below it. Clean up without a lot of effort. Just a total guess.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
We had a in-wall toilet where I used to work and one day I went in there to find the toilet removed and one by one, started to wonder why...

it never touched the ground, yet it wasn't a "urinal"..

Jay

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks