What's new

'LOST' season 1 on Blu-ray for $199.99 (1 Viewer)

MarekM

Supporting Actor
info from user StooMonster (avforum)

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=413790

original story

http://www.thetailsection.com/lost_n..._to_bluray.php

===================================
According to sources close to marketing at ABC, the network is very close to announcing the release of LOST Season One in Blu-Ray format. The set will be the flagship of a line of HDTV enhanced boxed sets the network plans to release in the coming summer. The LOST set will feature extras and extended scenes not included on the highly successful DVD release.
===================================

Bob_L

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Lindstrom
Yipes.

I know there are bigger "Lost" fans out there than I am; but $200 still seems pretty demented to me, not mention the 2-episodes-for-$20 strategy.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I'm a huge Lost fan and I'd never pay $150 (which is probably the price after discount) for it. If the MSRP was $100, I'd buy it but $200 is just nutty.

All that being said, I bet it'll look amazing. :)

MarekM

Supporting Actor

yes $200 is tooooooooo much hmm, I wonder what other shows they are plannig where cost of 2 episodes will be $20 hmm

Marek

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
That price is just ridiculous.

I have the DVD set and I'd be interested in upgrading to high definition, but $200 is just not going to happen (especially when I bought the DVD set for about $50).

List it for $100 and have it street for about $75, then I'd bite. But what they are asking is just crazy. Hope that changes.

LarryH

Supporting Actor
Even if Amazon has it for $140 (given that they don't give the 10% HD discount on sets - viz. Smallville) I just don't think I can justify it. I think they are trying to be just a bit greedy and unrealistic. Let's face it, how much more can it add to figuring out the mystery?

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
ummm... isn't this an opportunity to do VC1 on BluRay? i'm going to wait for the double/triple dip. this is really causing many HD fans to delay their purchase of HD players and media overall. it's certainly not encouraging them any!!!

CaptDS9E

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joey
With WB releasing Smallville at $80 for the season, whoever pays $200 for a set of any TV show is out of there minds. BR or HDDVD This coming from a HUGE lost fan.

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
I paid $38 and change for Lost S1 on DVD last year. I could see somewhat of a premium for a Blu-ray set, but anything over $60 isn't worth it and an MSRP of $200 is just plain nuts.

Unless it's all part of the Dharma initiative.

Harpozep

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Robert
Looks like the powers that be are trying to follow the LD model, that is charge a lot for those who dare go first and see what the market will bear.
If they want the market penetration of DVD, this is not the way to go about it.
First give us a unified HD format, them mass market the software, then make way for the inexpensive South east Asian players.
htf_images_smilies_rock.gif
Yup, then we'll be where we are today with the reality that is the DVD market.:eek: :laugh:

The reality here in the trenches is that the software known as DVD is practically valueless soon after it debuts. Between Wal Mart's value pricing with their blow out bins, the pawn shops selling them Five for $20.00, and the glut of recently rented product put out by Big Blue and friends, few DVDs have much resale value.

Sure some OOP DVDs will fetch some money, but they represent a small %.

Heck, I buy DVD season box sets at BJs usually for less than what they are selling for in the Big W, BB, and friends. Deep Discount DVD and the like have made the DVD commodity easy and cheap to access without ever leaving home. Not that this is all a bad thing. Look at how much we can get for our dollar compared to when DVDs first came out. I paid around $30.00 each for some early single releases. I do feel bad for those who paid $129.00 for early X-files season sets with them now all priced at $29.99 -$19.99 new!:eek:

I do tend to stay away from HBO and BBC offerings at their higher price levels. They all evenout at the pawn shops as they are priced close to used Buffy sets!:laugh:

Now I'm not really complaining, just observing. If we think our DVD collections are really worth anything, checkout a pawn shop or flea market.
Now is also a great time to get some DVD deals as Tower Records is liquidating all their inventory to the public further cheapening the value of DVDs yet giving us great prices.
So I'm not really sure where HD NEEDS to go, but I'm hoping HD software will decrease by 40% or more.

I have seen DVD become an almost valueless ( monetary ) commodity within a very short time due to its market penetration and overall success. We are all winners if we do not pay to high to get the product.

Bob_L

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Lindstrom
OK. I did a little more research into this. Apparently, the high price is because it comes with a pacemaker that blows up your heart if you ever try to play an HD DVD disk.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
at these prices, they better include TrueHD 7.1 AND DTS-HD Masters AND 1080p/24 encoding.

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
"rumored whopping price" ?

I want to see something more official. Is Disney stupid enough to price something so high that only a very small handful of the handful of HD consumers would buy it?

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann

For these prices it better come with a visit from the actor of your choice from the series for a night.

This would not be a buy for me even at a better price. 'LOST' lost me after about 6 or 7 episodes.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks