Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

HTF HD REVIEW: Gone in 60 Seconds (Blu-Ray)

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 OFFLINE   Ben_Williams

Ben_Williams

Second Unit

• 454 posts

Posted October 22 2006 - 01:28 PM

http://static.hometh...overs_75364.jpg">

Studio: Touchstone
Year: 2000
Rated: PG-13
Film Length: 118 minutes
Aspect Ratio: 2.35:1 1080P High Definition
Subtitles: English SDH, French & Spanish
Codec: AVC Mpeg-4

Release Date: October 17, 2006

The Movie:

(*/*****) 1/5

I have a long history with Gone in 60 Seconds. Back in 2000 when it was released theatrically, I was a picture quality control evaluator for Lucasfilm’s THX T.A.P. (Theater Alignment Program). Due to some kind of problem with a batch of release prints, I ended up having to sit through 3 different showings of the movie over the course of about 36 hours. Since that time, I’ve equated Gone in 60 Seconds with torture. This movie is haunting me.

Gone in 60 Seconds is a car chase movie without car chases. Okay, there’s one car chase. Does that sound interesting to you? Well, it isn’t. Nicolas Cage plays “Memphis” Raines: Former car thief and professional smart-aleck. When Memphis’ loser brother Kip (Giovanni Ribisi) botches a series of auto thefts for a very nasty client, Memphis has to come out of retirement and finish the job. Oh yeah, if Memphis and his team of highly skilled thieves don’t complete the task of stealing 50 exotic cars in 24 hours, young Kip gets killed.

So, if you couldn’t already tell, I’m not particularly fond of Gone in 60 Seconds. I’ve tried watching it several times on DVD and satellite, but it just doesn’t do anything for me. The plot is pretty much just hanging on a thread as an excuse to showcase some cool cars for 2 hours. Cars go fast, cars get banged up and cars even flip over! We get to witness many acts of theft, but surprisingly, only one real car chase. In a movie filled with various Ferraris, Lamborghinis, Porsches and other exotic autos, that lone car chase features an old Mustang. Frankly, I just thought it was boring. Robert Duvall drops in for a few lines reminiscent of what Yoda might say if he was a grizzled old car thief. Angelina Jolie also manages to show up in a few scenes to essentially add a female presence to the otherwise all-male cast. The big villain in the movie, who is touted by many a character as being the most evil thing since Hitler, has a terrifying hobby: He likes to make furniture. Also, I’d be doing everyone a disservice if I didn’t mention the plotline that involves feeding a dog Ex-Lax because it has eaten a set of keys. Enough said about that. So, I really dislike Gone in 60 Seconds.

Video:

(*****/*****) 5/5

Most of Gone in 60 Seconds takes place at night, so as you could imagine, this is a dark movie. This Blu-Ray transfer using the AVC codec is outstanding and does an excellent job of bringing clarity and detail to this shadowy movie. I detected an ever-so-slight amount of noise in a few backgrounds, but that’s essentially the only problem with this transfer. The print is perfect and the colorful scenes really pop. There is a real 3D effect present in the whole film. Film grain is also perfectly rendered. From a video standpoint, this is, again, reference material from Touchstone / Disney. They are doing an absolutely fantastic job with this latest batch of releases. Clearly, Disney is serious about presenting top grade video material for Blu-Ray.

Sound:

(****/*****)4/5

Dolby Digital 5.1 and uncompressed PCM 5.1 are the two options available with Gone in 60 Seconds. Both are extremely well done, but the edge definitely goes to the PCM mix. As is becoming the norm with PCM audio on Blu-Ray, this track is far more open, clear and dynamic than the Dolby track. Dialogue is razor sharp, directional effects are outstanding and the techno music score of the film really pounds out of every speaker. Subwoofer usage was outstanding and never boomy. However, there are seemingly long sections of the move where the entire soundtrack just seems to give up and take a break. During these mostly dialog-driven scenes, I felt like I was just sitting and listening to my center channel. Sound effects and music were so low in the mix that they were almost completely absent. So, I’m taking a point away from this mix for this inconsistency. While I certainly expect dialog to be intelligible and well presented, it just doesn’t have mean that everything else is cranked down to a whisper to accommodate.

Supplements:

(*/*****) 1/5

All this disc gets is a single feature regarding the filming of a big car jump scene. That’s it.

The Final Analysis:

(**/*****) 2/5

So, Gone in 60 Seconds is a lousy movie with lousy supplements. Video and Audio are great, but that can’t save a terrible flick. If you feel like turning your brain completely off for two hours and watching glossy scenes of cars and Angelina Jolie, then this might be for you. Otherwise, just skip this one.

#2 of 6 OFFLINE   Grant H

Grant H

Screenwriter

• 2,844 posts

Posted October 22 2006 - 02:11 PM

Haha. Nice review, Ben. I actually like this movie, so I'll look forward to picking it up when I take the Blu-Ray plunge.
My midis bring all the Force to the yard; my midis are better than yours!

#3 of 6 OFFLINE   Michael Osadciw

Michael Osadciw

Screenwriter

• 1,326 posts

Posted October 23 2006 - 03:10 AM

Ben

If you felt this movie was torture, why did you try even more to watch it on DVD and satellite! C'mon, admit it! You REALLY REALLY love this movie!! Posted Image

Mike

THX/ISF Professional Video Calibrator
HIGHEST FIDELITY CALIBRATIONS

#4 of 6 OFFLINE   Ben_Williams

Ben_Williams

Second Unit

• 454 posts

Posted October 23 2006 - 09:40 AM

I'm powerless against Gone in 60 Seconds... it follows me everywhere! For instance, I was on a transatlantic flight a few years ago with multi-channel video on demand. Every channel was malfunctioning except for the one that was playing... you guessed it... Gone in 60 Seconds. so, I had a choice of either staring at the back of the seat in front of me for 7 hours, or watching Gone in 60 Seconds. Tough call. Before the movie came out I was really looking forward to it, actually. I wanted to like it. Every time I watch it, I think: "Maybe this time I'll enjoy this..." Ugh.

#5 of 6 OFFLINE   ppltd

ppltd

Producer

• 3,044 posts

Posted October 23 2006 - 12:16 PM

Are you saying you wish this movie was 'gone in 60 seconds?'Posted Image
Thomas Eisenmann(Last updated 09/30/11)

Blu-Ray Collection  DVD Collection, Numerous BD players,

LG 55LX6500 55-Inch 3D 1080p 240 Hz LED

Pioneer VSX-94TXH, Panasonic PT-AE7000U 3D 1080p (PT-AE8000 Just Ordered, 

1124 BDs and going up, 1028 - DVDs and going down.

#6 of 6 OFFLINE   Ben_Williams

Ben_Williams

Second Unit

• 454 posts

Posted October 23 2006 - 04:26 PM

Even if this movie was Gone in 60 Seconds, it would still be 60 seconds too many!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users