What's new

Enough already Fox. Are we EVER going to see WKRP released? (1 Viewer)

Dan*T

Supporting Actor
I was just jonesing to watch a few eps of WKRP and remembered how crappy my VHS copies of it are. Then I realized that it has almost been two years since it was supposedly being "Looked At for future release".
What's the holdup?? If Uni can release Miami Vice with the music intact. Why can't Fox release WKRP. It's currently the 8th most requested unreleased title on TVShowsOnDVD.com
This one really burns me..

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
I want this more than anything, but I'm praying and hoping that they don't release it until and unless they can get all the music rights. I'm sad it's not out, but if it comes out with replaced music then I will be majorly pissed off.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
First Miami Vice comes to DVD with its music.

Now SNL season 1 complete and uncut.

Fox is running out of excuses.

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
It's apples and oranges. Just because certain shows are released complete does not mean all shows can be or we'd have seen The Wonder Years a long time ago. It's also possible that studios make their decisions based on what they think will sell and warrant all that trouble and expense. A lot of older sitcoms are not selling that well, especially ones that have not been seen regularly in sydication for years.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Why not include a feature on the DVDs that says "if you enjoyed the music on these DVDs, the songs are available [insert names of albums.]" That's free marketing for the music folks and it's a cheap way for the DVD producers to get cooperation.

Jeff#

Screenwriter
I never cared for WKRP, but it has a big enough following to get released on disc. You guys have nothing to worry about.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
This is Fox who won't even pony up to clear song snippets in "Mary Tyler Moore" and "Addams Family" prefering to edit certain episodes instead. Fans of WKRP are either going to have to wait a long time or pay an exhorbitant price for this series.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I wouldn't exactly put all the blame on Fox. I have heard
them mention this show specifically before. They are aware
of the demand for it, but the clearance for music rights is an
absolute nightmare.

Some licensing hurdles are easier to clear than others.

Joe*A

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joe
I for one don't understand the importance of the music when it comes to this show (which is kind of ironic because we're talking radio station here). So what if they replace the songs with something else (does it really take away from the great comedy this show has to offer?) No. Wonder Years is a little different because the music was meant as way of setting the mood of the scene. I can't remember when a song on WKRP was meant to do that other than Johnny Fever putting an LP on - correct me if I'm wrong. Any song would've done just fine.

Grant it, the original uncut version would be the way to go but if the powers that be are having issues over a certain song (re-edit the song) and give us a great show. Just don't cut the scene for the song.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

I'm sure many WKRP fans can give you examples. For me, every time I heard Van Morrison's "Caravan" I think of Johnny Fever lip synching to the song in the booth. That scene would be ruined for me with any other song.

Kevin Hewell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Hewell
Just a few moments that come to mind:

"Tiny Dancer" with that Russian guy. That song was significant to the plot.

"Hot Blooded" with Les putting on the wig when he was getting ready for his date with Jennifer.

"The Long Run" - "Johhny finally played a hit!" The episode with Johnny's daughter.

There are many others but that was what first popped to mind.

Joe*A

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joe

I obviously don't have a good memory of one of my favorite sitcoms. Thanks for mentioning some examples Scott and Kevin - I retract my opening statement. This show is great and shouldn't be tampered with.

The episode that I'll never forget has to be the company softball game when Johnny Fever lay (I believe it was third base) and he was looking at the white lines and thinking "cocaine?" Great episode. I was in stitches.

Joe

Dan*T

Supporting Actor

Hey Ron,
Do you think that there is a way to somehow let the powers that be over at Fox aware of this thread. As well as the fact that since yesterday, 425 people have viewed it. That shows that there is ALOT of interest in this show.
I'm just trying to think of anything that will get their attention. It worked for the MTM show..

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Fox is aware of the demand.

As I said, it's music licensing issues that have been holding
the release up.

What I am not certain of is if the studio is still pursuing to
clear up those issues or if they feel it's not worth the cost
at this time.

Mike*SC

Second Unit

This is something that is frequently explored, but for whatever reason, it rarely seems to actually work out.

Linda Thompson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Linda
An informative list of some of the changes (in both music AND dialogue) which have ALREADY been made to WKRP for latter-day syndicated runs:

http://members.allstream.net/~jacjud/wkrpmusic.html

Imagine how that would all translate to a DVD release. Would any of us actually want something that botched?

As I've stated in other threads regarding music replacement, I'm not really much of a stickler. My one and only "line in the sand" so far has been Quantum Leap...I simply refuse to reward Universal by giving them my money for such an inferior treatment of such a superior show.

WKRP is simply too important to me for me to ever be satisfied with anything other than the unadulterated, original version.

I've really gotta go with George on this one...

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
Guys, if this is released there's no way it'll have all the music cleared. You can try comparing it to other shows when it comes to music, but it's not a fair comparison unless you've seen the contracts under which all that music was originally licensed under.

Gord

Carlos Garcia

Screenwriter

I'm still more shocked that they're going release season 1 of Saturday Night Live, complete, unedited and with ALL the musical acts the way it originally aired...Kinda makes you wonder why they can't do the same with WKRP. Although I'm sure it's alot easier tracing musical guests that appeared over 24 episodes of SNL than it is finding and securing the rights for every single record that was ever played on WKRP.

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
ouch, damn. I saw that page, I am so happy I am not a WKRP fan because if I was, I'd be furious with how little music has been retained.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks