Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Enough already Fox. Are we EVER going to see WKRP released?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
649 replies to this topic

#21 of 650 OFFLINE   Jay_B!

Jay_B!

Screenwriter

• 1,746 posts

Posted October 23 2006 - 06:35 PM

ouch, damn. I saw that page, I am so happy I am not a WKRP fan because if I was, I'd be furious with how little music has been retained.

#22 of 650 OFFLINE   Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa

Producer

• 5,287 posts

Posted October 24 2006 - 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos Garcia
I'm still more shocked that they're going release season 1 of Saturday Night Live, complete, unedited and with ALL the musical acts the way it originally aired...Kinda makes you wonder why they can't do the same with WKRP. Although I'm sure it's alot easier tracing musical guests that appeared over 24 episodes of SNL than it is finding and securing the rights for every single record that was ever played on WKRP.

I'm not Saturday night Live alwaysd gravitated to the Alt-music scene some what, clearing Patty Smith and The Rembrandts are easier than Clearing 60's and 70's rock supergroups.
My DVD Collection

The Megaplex

#23 of 650 OFFLINE   Derek K.

Derek K.

Stunt Coordinator

• 66 posts

Posted October 24 2006 - 04:17 AM

I may be in the minority, but I say, release these puppies any way you can (with or without music replacements).

#24 of 650 OFFLINE   Scott_F_S

Scott_F_S

Second Unit

• 408 posts

Posted October 24 2006 - 06:32 AM

Quote:
I'm still more shocked that they're going release season 1 of Saturday Night Live, complete, unedited and with ALL the musical acts the way it originally aired...Kinda makes you wonder why they can't do the same with WKRP. Although I'm sure it's alot easier tracing musical guests that appeared over 24 episodes of SNL than it is finding and securing the rights for every single record that was ever played on WKRP.

I think you answered your own question here, Carlos.

#25 of 650 OFFLINE   HenryDuBrow

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter

• 1,319 posts

Posted October 24 2006 - 06:47 AM

I agree with Derek, I'm a HUGE fan of this show and I want it no matter what, it's simply a too important show not to be released. Thank God, Fox are aware. The songs played were never that important to me, I love it for the jokes, and the superb ensamble cast. It's IMO the best sitcom ever, but even I can live with music replacements. What I can't live with though, is cut-out scenes. We demand this UNCUT, as far as scenes are concerned, no syndication editing can be accepted. Period. If they can clear the music rights, great, and I hope they can. Fingers crossed.

#26 of 650 OFFLINE   Dan*T

Dan*T

Supporting Actor

• 534 posts

Posted October 24 2006 - 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald Epstein
Fox is aware of the demand.

As I said, it's music licensing issues that have been holding
the release up.

What I am not certain of is if the studio is still pursuing to
clear up those issues or if they feel it's not worth the cost
at this time.

How do we find out if this is still being pursued?
Gord, any chance you could look into this ( I know..again)

I'm with Henry on this one. I obviously want all the original music, but would buy it in a heartbeat. No matter what, as long as the scenes were not butchered. I'd take this show anyway I could get it.
As I'm sure plenty of the baby boomer generation who watched it every week would as well!

Thanks for all the input guys, this has turned out to be a great thread!
That's what this forum is all about!! Posted Image
Dan T.

#27 of 650 OFFLINE   Linda Thompson

Linda Thompson

Supporting Actor

• 966 posts

Posted October 24 2006 - 02:53 PM

Quote:
What I can't live with though, is cut-out scenes. We demand this UNCUT, as far as scenes are concerned, no syndication editing can be accepted. Period.

Quote:
I obviously want all the original music, but would buy it in a heartbeat. No matter what, as long as the scenes were not butchered.

But, you can't have it both ways. You simply cannot have both music substitutions AND unaltered scenes.

Did you check out the list to which I posted a link before? Even with the music alterations which have already had to be made for the show's latter-day syndication runs, there are many cases in which dialogue has had to be altered, left out, or re-recorded by vocal impersonators. To me, that definitely constitutes the sort of altering you both say you could NOT accept.

Consider this... Even something as simple as the scene in which Mr. Carlson walks into the booth while Johnny is playing Pink Floyd's "Dogs"...Mr. Carlson listens a moment and then asks "Do I hear dogs?" Johnny answers "I do."

If the rights to "Dogs" couldn't be negotiated, how would you suggest that scene be handled on a DVD release? Would the rest of the episode work without that one scene? In the overall scheme of things, yes. But, would I be satisfied if that scene were altered in any way, or left out completely? Absolutely not.

Several here (including the two I quoted above) have stated that they would accept music alterations but NOT cut or altered scenes, but that simply is not possible. That's just the way it is with shows like this...you CAN'T alter the music without altering the scenes themselves.

#28 of 650 OFFLINE   Kevin Segura

Kevin Segura

Stunt Coordinator

• 108 posts

Posted October 24 2006 - 08:40 PM

Quote:

Well, the reason they're able to do it for SNL is two-fold: a) Lorne Michaels is willing to put up the money to license the songs from the respective publishers; and b) Lorne **only** has to deal with the publishers, instead of the publishers **plus** the various record labels, which is what he'd have to do if he were trying to license the original hit recordings of those songs.

As an example, Lorne might have to pay a music publisher $10,000 (a fairly standard amount) to license Paul Simon's "50 Ways to Leave Your Lover" for a live performance on his show, but if the producers of WKRP need to clear that same song, they've likely used the hit record version, so they'll pay Simon's publishers $10,000, plus an additional amount (which may equal or surpass the publisher's fee) to the record label to license the hit recording. As you might guess, with something as music-heavy as WKRP, there's practically no conceivable way they could recoup that investment from the existing fan base of the program... assuming, of course, that they could clear everything in the first place.

I'm afraid the economics of the music industry are going to be a continual stumbling block in the release of this series...

-Kevin

#29 of 650 OFFLINE   Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa

Producer

• 5,287 posts

Posted October 24 2006 - 11:42 PM

I also fear this series would look on par with another 70's series All in the Family. I believed this is another taped show and every syndication print I've seen, the show looks as thou it's being viewed thru a veil of haze. I wonder how good these would look on DVD
My DVD Collection

The Megaplex

#30 of 650 OFFLINE   seanOhara

seanOhara

Supporting Actor

• 820 posts

Posted October 25 2006 - 02:03 AM

Quote:
Lorne **only** has to deal with the publishers, instead of the publishers **plus** the various record labels, which is what he'd have to do if he were trying to license the original hit recordings of those songs.

Untill they get to Ashlee Simpson Posted Image
My Blog
Les Miserables Volume 1 with my reading of "Four and Four"
Librivox Short Story Collection 34 with my reading of Jack London's "War"

#31 of 650 OFFLINE   MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 6,318 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted October 25 2006 - 03:40 AM

Well, on the "Mama's Family" thread, someone said the syndication versions were at least 6 generations removed from the original.

Assuming their storage has been adequate, the original tapes to WKRP would be better quality (or at least a digi-beta transfer from the original 1" or 2" tapes, which a theoretical DVD release would use). "What's Happening," for instance was a taped sitcom from the same time (and actually used the same post-production facility as WKRP, Golden West) and the DVDs look far superior to syndicated versions.

"All in the Family" looks bad in any version because Norman Lear wanted it to look as ugly as possible. He didn't even want color; CBS made him shoot in color. Someone once commented that the Bunkers' living room looked like something out of the Great Depression. Other videotaped 1970s shows on DVD look better.

Enough is enough, Disney. No more evasions or excuses. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray along with the uncut version of Bedknobs and Broomsticks on Blu-ray. I am going to boycott The Walt Disney Company until then.

#32 of 650 OFFLINE   HenryDuBrow

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter

• 1,319 posts

Posted October 26 2006 - 04:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda Thompson
But, you can't have it both ways. You simply cannot have both music substitutions AND unaltered scenes.

Did you check out the list to which I posted a link before? Even with the music alterations which have already had to be made for the show's latter-day syndication runs, there are many cases in which dialogue has had to be altered, left out, or re-recorded by vocal impersonators. To me, that definitely constitutes the sort of altering you both say you could NOT accept.

Consider this... Even something as simple as the scene in which Mr. Carlson walks into the booth while Johnny is playing Pink Floyd's "Dogs"...Mr. Carlson listens a moment and then asks "Do I hear dogs?" Johnny answers "I do."

If the rights to "Dogs" couldn't be negotiated, how would you suggest that scene be handled on a DVD release? Would the rest of the episode work without that one scene? In the overall scheme of things, yes. But, would I be satisfied if that scene were altered in any way, or left out completely? Absolutely not.

Several here (including the two I quoted above) have stated that they would accept music alterations but NOT cut or altered scenes, but that simply is not possible. That's just the way it is with shows like this...you CAN'T alter the music without altering the scenes themselves.
I think it could be done. In the dogs scene, just insert dogs barking instead of the Floyd song, wouldn't that be possible? It wouldn't be a biggie to me. Even altered dialogue I can live with, to be honest. I know it sounds terrible to say, but it'd just be a few snippets, nothing earthshattering or plot hurting (hopefully). It's either that or syndications, and I won't have those. Whole scenes left out, is what I won't accept.

#33 of 650 OFFLINE   george kaplan

george kaplan

Executive Producer

• 13,064 posts

Posted October 26 2006 - 04:40 AM

Wow! The degree to which people are willing to live with music replacement, edited episodes, etc., never fails to astound me. Posted Image
"Movies should be like amusement parks. People should go to them to have fun." - Billy Wilder

"Subtitles good. Hollywood bad." - Tarzan, Sight & Sound 2012 voter.

"My films are not slices of life, they are pieces of cake." - Alfred Hitchcock"My great humility is just one of the many reasons that I...

#34 of 650 OFFLINE   HenryDuBrow

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter

• 1,319 posts

Posted October 26 2006 - 06:49 AM

Depends on what you mean by 'edited', I don't think many here are willing to live with episodes missing scenes. That is my sole point. I love WKRP, I consider it the best sitcom ever, best written, best cast, it's just perfect and TV comedy doesn't get any better that this. But I'm also tired of waiting...still, I don't want some half-ass job by Fox, but want them to do the best they can to secure it as complete (and authentic) as possible.

#35 of 650 OFFLINE   Scott_F_S

Scott_F_S

Second Unit

• 408 posts

Posted October 27 2006 - 02:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryDuBrow
Depends on what you mean by 'edited', I don't think many here are willing to live with episodes missing scenes. That is my sole point. I love WKRP, I consider it the best sitcom ever, best written, best cast, it's just perfect and TV comedy doesn't get any better that this. But I'm also tired of waiting...still, I don't want some half-ass job by Fox, but want them to do the best they can to secure it as complete (and authentic) as possible.

You seem to be contradicting yourself. You say it would be OK to replace the music, but you don't want some half-ass job and you want it complete and authentic? I'm confused.

#36 of 650 OFFLINE   HenryDuBrow

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter

• 1,319 posts

Posted October 27 2006 - 03:54 AM

I don't see it's contradictory, I won't mind good music replacements, not something half-baked. By authentic I mean, if they need to loop lines, that it's as authentic as can be. All this can hopefully be avoided (though I won't say no to it), if they can secure the music rights and thereby make it original and complete. In essence, I won't mind it either way, it's the shoddy syndications I don't want. Posted Image

#37 of 650 OFFLINE   Pavan_P

Pavan_P

Second Unit

• 321 posts

Posted December 10 2006 - 04:06 PM

WKRP is coming soon from Fox!

Check out the blog story with a photo of an insert saying this set is coming soon:

http://www.sitcomson....-dvd-soon.html

#38 of 650 OFFLINE   Curtis F

Curtis F

Stunt Coordinator

• 94 posts

Posted December 10 2006 - 05:09 PM

That looks pretty promising, but I think I'll hold the applause until I see something more definite.

#39 of 650 OFFLINE   Michael Alden

Michael Alden

Supporting Actor

• 825 posts

Posted December 10 2006 - 06:02 PM

I'll believe it when I see it.

#40 of 650 OFFLINE   David Rain

David Rain

Screenwriter

• 1,097 posts

Posted December 10 2006 - 06:42 PM

I like this show and am surprised that it's not currently airing in syndication on any of the big channels but I would not want this on DVD if there were a lot of changes done to it. If that would involve not only removing songs but also replacing dialogue and/or entire scenes then that could easily become a butcher job.

I shudder to think what a first season DVD release would look & sound like. Perhaps they've recast Loni Anderson with Ruth Buzzi.
Still Turning the Beat Around at Our Cool New Pad

Retro Remixes

Back to TV on DVD and Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow