-

Photo
- - - - -

Enough already Fox. Are we EVER going to see WKRP released?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
649 replies to this topic

#1 of 650 OFFLINE   Dan*T

Dan*T

Supporting Actor

• 525 posts

Posted October 22 2006 - 12:17 PM

I was just jonesing to watch a few eps of WKRP and remembered how crappy my VHS copies of it are. Then I realized that it has almost been two years since it was supposedly being "Looked At for future release".
What's the holdup?? If Uni can release Miami Vice with the music intact. Why can't Fox release WKRP. It's currently the 8th most requested unreleased title on TVShowsOnDVD.com
This one really burns me..
Dan T.

#2 of 650 OFFLINE   george kaplan

george kaplan

Executive Producer

• 13,064 posts

Posted October 22 2006 - 02:55 PM

I want this more than anything, but I'm praying and hoping that they don't release it until and unless they can get all the music rights. I'm sad it's not out, but if it comes out with replaced music then I will be majorly pissed off.
"Movies should be like amusement parks. People should go to them to have fun." - Billy Wilder

"Subtitles good. Hollywood bad." - Tarzan, Sight & Sound 2012 voter.

"My films are not slices of life, they are pieces of cake." - Alfred Hitchcock"My great humility is just one of the many reasons that I...

#3 of 650 OFFLINE   Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D

Screenwriter

• 2,686 posts

Posted October 22 2006 - 03:02 PM

I love this show as well.....however, if it is ever released without it's original music 100% intact - they can count me out on ever purchasing it. Better they release WKRP completely intact or not at all.
Recently watched- Simon & Simon: Season 3, Lost: Season 5, I Am Legend, Krull, The Beast Within, Subspecies, Lost: Season 4, District 9, Lost: Season 3, The Warrior's Way, The Twilight Zone: Season 1, Godzilla 3D, The Walking Dead: Season 4, Lost: Season 2, Dracula(1979), Lost: Season 1, True Grit(2010)

Currently watching- Planet Earth, Cheers: Season 6, True Blood: Season 2, Gatchaman: The Complete Series, The Equalizer: Season 2, Lost: Season 6, Tales From The Crypt: Season 2

"I can help! I can save you! I can save everybody!"

#4 of 650 OFFLINE   MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 6,216 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted October 22 2006 - 04:39 PM

First Miami Vice comes to DVD with its music.

Now SNL season 1 complete and uncut.

Fox is running out of excuses.

Enough is enough, Disney. No more evasions or excuses. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray along with the uncut version of Bedknobs and Broomsticks on Blu-ray. I will not support anything your company produces until then.

#5 of 650 OFFLINE   David Rain

David Rain

Screenwriter

• 1,095 posts

Posted October 22 2006 - 08:29 PM

It's apples and oranges. Just because certain shows are released complete does not mean all shows can be or we'd have seen The Wonder Years a long time ago. It's also possible that studios make their decisions based on what they think will sell and warrant all that trouble and expense. A lot of older sitcoms are not selling that well, especially ones that have not been seen regularly in sydication for years.
Still Turning the Beat Around at Our Cool New Pad

Retro Remixes

#6 of 650 OFFLINE   Sam Favate

Sam Favate

Producer

• 4,851 posts

Posted October 22 2006 - 11:48 PM

Why not include a feature on the DVDs that says "if you enjoyed the music on these DVDs, the songs are available [insert names of albums.]" That's free marketing for the music folks and it's a cheap way for the DVD producers to get cooperation.

#7 of 650 OFFLINE   Jeff#

Jeff#

Screenwriter

• 1,942 posts

Posted October 23 2006 - 12:40 AM

I never cared for WKRP, but it has a big enough following to get released on disc. You guys have nothing to worry about.

#8 of 650 OFFLINE   Steve...O

Steve...O

Producer

• 3,260 posts

Posted October 23 2006 - 12:46 AM

This is Fox who won't even pony up to clear song snippets in "Mary Tyler Moore" and "Addams Family" prefering to edit certain episodes instead. Fans of WKRP are either going to have to wait a long time or pay an exhorbitant price for this series.
Please help UCLA restore the Laurel & Hardy films: https://www.cinema.u...aurel-and-hardy

#9 of 650 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 39,931 posts

Posted October 23 2006 - 04:11 AM

I wouldn't exactly put all the blame on Fox. I have heard
them mention this show specifically before. They are aware
of the demand for it, but the clearance for music rights is an
absolute nightmare.

Some licensing hurdles are easier to clear than others.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#10 of 650 OFFLINE   Joe*A

Joe*A

Stunt Coordinator

• 186 posts

Posted October 23 2006 - 05:55 AM

I for one don't understand the importance of the music when it comes to this show (which is kind of ironic because we're talking radio station here). So what if they replace the songs with something else (does it really take away from the great comedy this show has to offer?) No. Wonder Years is a little different because the music was meant as way of setting the mood of the scene. I can't remember when a song on WKRP was meant to do that other than Johnny Fever putting an LP on - correct me if I'm wrong. Any song would've done just fine.

Grant it, the original uncut version would be the way to go but if the powers that be are having issues over a certain song (re-edit the song) and give us a great show. Just don't cut the scene for the song.

#11 of 650 OFFLINE   Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,507 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted October 23 2006 - 06:24 AM

Quote:
I for one don't understand the importance of the music when it comes to this show (which is kind of ironic because we're talking radio station here). So what if they replace the songs with something else (does it really take away from the great comedy this show has to offer?) No. Wonder Years is a little different because the music was meant as way of setting the mood of the scene. I can't remember when a song on WKRP was meant to do that other than Johnny Fever putting an LP on - correct me if I'm wrong. Any song would've done just fine.

I'm sure many WKRP fans can give you examples. For me, every time I heard Van Morrison's "Caravan" I think of Johnny Fever lip synching to the song in the booth. That scene would be ruined for me with any other song.

#12 of 650 OFFLINE   Kevin Hewell

Kevin Hewell

Screenwriter

• 1,962 posts

Posted October 23 2006 - 07:30 AM

Just a few moments that come to mind:

"Tiny Dancer" with that Russian guy. That song was significant to the plot.

"Hot Blooded" with Les putting on the wig when he was getting ready for his date with Jennifer.

"The Long Run" - "Johhny finally played a hit!" The episode with Johnny's daughter.

There are many others but that was what first popped to mind.

#13 of 650 OFFLINE   Scott_F_S

Scott_F_S

Second Unit

• 408 posts

Posted October 23 2006 - 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joepepe

Grant it, the original uncut version would be the way to go but if the powers that be are having issues over a certain song (re-edit the song) and give us a great show. Just don't cut the scene for the song.

Obviously, you have either never seen WKRP or you don't have a very good memory.

#14 of 650 OFFLINE   Joe*A

Joe*A

Stunt Coordinator

• 186 posts

Posted October 23 2006 - 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_F_S
Obviously, you have either never seen WKRP or you don't have a very good memory.

I obviously don't have a good memory of one of my favorite sitcoms. Thanks for mentioning some examples Scott and Kevin - I retract my opening statement. This show is great and shouldn't be tampered with.

The episode that I'll never forget has to be the company softball game when Johnny Fever lay (I believe it was third base) and he was looking at the white lines and thinking "cocaine?" Great episode. I was in stitches.

Joe

#15 of 650 OFFLINE   Dan*T

Dan*T

Supporting Actor

• 525 posts

Posted October 23 2006 - 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald Epstein
I wouldn't exactly put all the blame on Fox. I have heard
them mention this show specifically before. They are aware
of the demand for it, but the clearance for music rights is an
absolute nightmare.

Some licensing hurdles are easier to clear than others.

Hey Ron,
Do you think that there is a way to somehow let the powers that be over at Fox aware of this thread. As well as the fact that since yesterday, 425 people have viewed it. That shows that there is ALOT of interest in this show.
I'm just trying to think of anything that will get their attention. It worked for the MTM show..
Dan T.

#16 of 650 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 39,931 posts

Posted October 23 2006 - 10:37 AM

Fox is aware of the demand.

As I said, it's music licensing issues that have been holding
the release up.

What I am not certain of is if the studio is still pursuing to
clear up those issues or if they feel it's not worth the cost
at this time.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#17 of 650 OFFLINE   Mike*SC

Mike*SC

Second Unit

• 260 posts

Posted October 23 2006 - 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Favate
Why not include a feature on the DVDs that says "if you enjoyed the music on these DVDs, the songs are available [insert names of albums.]" That's free marketing for the music folks and it's a cheap way for the DVD producers to get cooperation.

This is something that is frequently explored, but for whatever reason, it rarely seems to actually work out.

#18 of 650 OFFLINE   Linda Thompson

Linda Thompson

Supporting Actor

• 966 posts

Posted October 23 2006 - 03:52 PM

An informative list of some of the changes (in both music AND dialogue) which have ALREADY been made to WKRP for latter-day syndicated runs:

http://members.allst.../wkrpmusic.html

Imagine how that would all translate to a DVD release. Would any of us actually want something that botched?

As I've stated in other threads regarding music replacement, I'm not really much of a stickler. My one and only "line in the sand" so far has been Quantum Leap...I simply refuse to reward Universal by giving them my money for such an inferior treatment of such a superior show.

WKRP is simply too important to me for me to ever be satisfied with anything other than the unadulterated, original version.

I've really gotta go with George on this one...

#19 of 650 OFFLINE   Gord Lacey

Gord Lacey

Screenwriter

• 2,447 posts

Posted October 23 2006 - 05:15 PM

Guys, if this is released there's no way it'll have all the music cleared. You can try comparing it to other shows when it comes to music, but it's not a fair comparison unless you've seen the contracts under which all that music was originally licensed under.

Gord
Want to see your favorite show on DVD?

#20 of 650 OFFLINE   Carlos Garcia

Carlos Garcia

Screenwriter

• 1,065 posts

Posted October 23 2006 - 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan*T
I was just jonesing to watch a few eps of WKRP and remembered how crappy my VHS copies of it are. Then I realized that it has almost been two years since it was supposedly being "Looked At for future release".
What's the holdup?? If Uni can release Miami Vice with the music intact. Why can't Fox release WKRP. It's currently the 8th most requested unreleased title on TVShowsOnDVD.com
This one really burns me..

I'm still more shocked that they're going release season 1 of Saturday Night Live, complete, unedited and with ALL the musical acts the way it originally aired...Kinda makes you wonder why they can't do the same with WKRP. Although I'm sure it's alot easier tracing musical guests that appeared over 24 episodes of SNL than it is finding and securing the rights for every single record that was ever played on WKRP.
I'm a classic TV fan. Widescreen? What's that?

Back to TV on DVD and Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow