What's new

Disturbing service at Best Buy, and Circuit City (1 Viewer)

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I used to shop at Best Buy nearly every Tuesday. The Cashiers are usually friendly until they get to the "would you like EW, SI etc magazine trials?" When I tell them no, they become rude. One cashier actually rolled her eyes at me. Do they get kickbacks for the magazine trials? I have no idea, but I do know that this isn't an isolated incident.

So I tried Circuit City instead, and they have a buyer protection service for dvd's, and I declined buying into that. The cashier nearly threw the bag and receipt at me, and seemed upset. I don't know what's going on. If the cashiers are rewarded in some way because of these little pointless, annoying add ons, then that's just poor service. Maybe this is my imagination, but has anyone else experienced this?

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
I've never experienced the rude behavior, but I am tired of someone trying to sell me additional products. It's a pattern that is gaining traction in a lot of stores. It's almost impossible to go into a Gamestop without being harrangued about their Gamer Discount program.

Jimi C

Screenwriter
Please dont take offense to this, but are you sure that you are not being less than polite when declineing their offers? I'm sure that the cashiers are way more tired of being forced to ask the dumb questions than you are of being forced to answer. Just an fyi.

RomanSohor

Second Unit
no kickbacks for the regular employees. it affects the bonuses the supervisors and managers get. the only thing regular employees get for offering the stuff is they don't get hassled for not offering it. For better or worse, it is their job to offer the magazines, and if they do not offer if they can be disciplined for not doing their job (it is one of the things they are paid to do... it is a non-negotiable part of their job duties...get where i'm coming form here?)

It is the price we pay for getting our movies,etc, so cheaply. There is no margin, so they try to make the company money by other means.

Now, if you politely decline and an employee is rude to them, speak to a manager. They should not be rude if you decline, just like I can not refuse to sell a customer a Pioneer Elite plasma if they do not want a service plan.

Chris Gerhard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris Gerhard
I have often been asked the question but never heard anything but a polite response to my polite "no thank you". Although I often see complaints about Best Buy employees on these forums, I have nothing to complain about. I often know more than they do about what I am interested in but that is because I am interested enough to know a lot about those things. The products they sell I have no interest in, I am sure I know much less than they do.

Chris

theotherwhiteguy

Auditioning
Real Name
bob
I used to work at Best Buy, this is one of the reasons why I don't work there anymore. No, they don't make commission off those mags. But, Best Buy will threaten their employees with their jobs if they don't offer it. I wasn't a cashier when I worked there, but I often overheard cashiers getting lectures about offering the mags. Even in the case where the customer was displaying obvious discontent they'd still have to go on with their elongated pitch. If Best Buy found out they could legally start the customers on fire to make you sign up for those magazines, they'd do it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks