Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Disturbing service at Best Buy, and Circuit City

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 OFFLINE   Bryan^H

Bryan^H

Screenwriter

• 2,734 posts

Posted October 22 2006 - 09:21 AM

I used to shop at Best Buy nearly every Tuesday. The Cashiers are usually friendly until they get to the "would you like EW, SI etc magazine trials?" When I tell them no, they become rude. One cashier actually rolled her eyes at me. Do they get kickbacks for the magazine trials? I have no idea, but I do know that this isn't an isolated incident.

So I tried Circuit City instead, and they have a buyer protection service for dvd's, and I declined buying into that. The cashier nearly threw the bag and receipt at me, and seemed upset. I don't know what's going on. If the cashiers are rewarded in some way because of these little pointless, annoying add ons, then that's just poor service. Maybe this is my imagination, but has anyone else experienced this?

housekeeping 2.jpg

"She always does that, she just wanders away"

#2 of 7 OFFLINE   David Williams

David Williams

Screenwriter

• 2,290 posts

Posted October 22 2006 - 09:34 AM

I've never experienced the rude behavior, but I am tired of someone trying to sell me additional products. It's a pattern that is gaining traction in a lot of stores. It's almost impossible to go into a Gamestop without being harrangued about their Gamer Discount program.
"Only two things are infinite––the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe." ––Albert Einstein

#3 of 7 OFFLINE   Jimi C

Jimi C

Screenwriter

• 1,209 posts

Posted October 22 2006 - 01:58 PM

Please dont take offense to this, but are you sure that you are not being less than polite when declineing their offers? I'm sure that the cashiers are way more tired of being forced to ask the dumb questions than you are of being forced to answer. Just an fyi.
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/theend13/sabres.jpg[/IMG]

#4 of 7 OFFLINE   RomanSohor

RomanSohor

Second Unit

• 360 posts

Posted November 06 2006 - 01:20 AM

no kickbacks for the regular employees. it affects the bonuses the supervisors and managers get. the only thing regular employees get for offering the stuff is they don't get hassled for not offering it. For better or worse, it is their job to offer the magazines, and if they do not offer if they can be disciplined for not doing their job (it is one of the things they are paid to do... it is a non-negotiable part of their job duties...get where i'm coming form here?)

It is the price we pay for getting our movies,etc, so cheaply. There is no margin, so they try to make the company money by other means.

Now, if you politely decline and an employee is rude to them, speak to a manager. They should not be rude if you decline, just like I can not refuse to sell a customer a Pioneer Elite plasma if they do not want a service plan.
Roman Sohor, CTS

#5 of 7 OFFLINE   Chris Gerhard

Chris Gerhard

Screenwriter

• 1,275 posts

Posted November 06 2006 - 02:53 AM

I have often been asked the question but never heard anything but a polite response to my polite "no thank you". Although I often see complaints about Best Buy employees on these forums, I have nothing to complain about. I often know more than they do about what I am interested in but that is because I am interested enough to know a lot about those things. The products they sell I have no interest in, I am sure I know much less than they do.

Chris

#6 of 7 OFFLINE   theotherwhiteguy

theotherwhiteguy

Auditioning

• 13 posts

Posted November 21 2006 - 11:26 PM

I used to work at Best Buy, this is one of the reasons why I don't work there anymore. No, they don't make commission off those mags. But, Best Buy will threaten their employees with their jobs if they don't offer it. I wasn't a cashier when I worked there, but I often overheard cashiers getting lectures about offering the mags. Even in the case where the customer was displaying obvious discontent they'd still have to go on with their elongated pitch. If Best Buy found out they could legally start the customers on fire to make you sign up for those magazines, they'd do it.

#7 of 7 OFFLINE   Stephen J*

Stephen J*

Stunt Coordinator

• 107 posts

Posted November 22 2006 - 02:04 AM

I've, um, 'heard' that they get secret shopped on asking those questions as well.