-

Photo

"Shining" question that's been bugging me for years.....

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
50 replies to this topic

#21 of 51 Rolando

Rolando

Screenwriter

• 1,317 posts

Posted October 30 2006 - 04:56 AM

Wanna hear a good one?

I am still to this day convinced that I saw an ending for Lethal Weapon (the first one) that NO ONE remembers. Yet I cannot tell where it came from.

I remember that at the end when Mel and Gary busey go at it hand to hand there is a moment where they look at each other and they "pose" into a fighting style and the "title" of the style appears as a subtitle. they sort of kick each other around then stop, change fighting style once or twice more and each type a subtitle appears at the bottom of the screen describing it (like jujitsu etc).

Anyone remember this? Anyone seen it on another movie?

Everytime I see the movie now that scenn looks so messy, weird cuts and edits. It LOOKS like it was altered. too fast.

Anyway I guess the mind can do that to you.
Rolando Avendano

My Collection

#22 of 51 Stephanie B

Stephanie B

Agent

• 33 posts

Posted October 30 2006 - 05:31 AM

i dont understand why the ghosts of the hotel want jacks character dead
teenage mutant ninja turtles cgi movie teaser trailer
http://www.youtube.c......urtles movie

GO WIDE SCREEN AND SEE THE WHOLE MOVIE THE WAY IT WAS INTENDED

#23 of 51 JonZ

JonZ

Lead Actor

• 7,793 posts

Posted October 30 2006 - 05:48 AM

2 recent examples:

Seeing it in the theater,I thought I remembered in Kill Bill part 2 during his first conversation with her,Pei Mei asked Breatrix if she could cook, she said yes and he replied with hed be the judge of that.

Also in Hellboy, after Liz blasts the beasts Hellboy is fighting and everything goes black, theres slow fade in with ashes falling when John comes to. I remember during the discussion thread here,some people claimed that scene wasnt in the print they saw.

#24 of 51 Steve_Pannell

Steve_Pannell

Supporting Actor

• 587 posts
  • LocationNew Albany, MS

Posted October 30 2006 - 05:58 AM

Quote:
they sort of kick each other around then stop, change fighting style once or twice more and each type a subtitle appears at the bottom of the screen describing it (like jujitsu etc).

Anyone remember this? Anyone seen it on another movie?

They did this in a fight sequence in the movie Doc Savage: The Man of Bronze.

#25 of 51 Rolando

Rolando

Screenwriter

• 1,317 posts

Posted October 30 2006 - 06:49 AM

OMG!!!

Steve, I think you are right! Makes sense. I used to love watching that as a kid everytime it played on TV. Don't think I ever saw it all, just the end from different places as I flipped channels and recognized the title character.

I remember not know the name of the actor or the character until much later.

Edit: He does look a bit like Gary Busey no? or at least to a 5 to 10 year old no?
Rolando Avendano

My Collection

#26 of 51 Steve_Pannell

Steve_Pannell

Supporting Actor

• 587 posts
  • LocationNew Albany, MS

Posted October 30 2006 - 07:17 AM

Rolando: Ron Ely played Doc Savage. Here is a link to a pic:
http://www.imdb.com/....th_key=0072886

#27 of 51 Chris Roberts

Chris Roberts

Stunt Coordinator

• 223 posts

Posted October 30 2006 - 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephanie B
i dont understand why the ghosts of the hotel want jacks character dead

They don't just want him dead. They want him to kill others so he creates more ghosts and then he can join them in the party. Its been a while since I saw (or even talked about) this movie, but that's what I recall getting from it.

#28 of 51 Matt Czyz

Matt Czyz

Supporting Actor

• 902 posts

Posted October 30 2006 - 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan V
Does anyone remember the falling bird in Signs? I SWEAR that was in the theatrical prints. I adamantly refuse ot believe that was never there.

Regards,
Nathan

There was definitely no falling bird in the theatrical print I saw (opening week), because I was kind of upset afterwards that there *was* no shot of a bird
hitting the invisible ship.
I thought it would have been a cool shot, and I was disappointed that they didn't do it.

#29 of 51 Dan McW

Dan McW

Second Unit

• 335 posts

Posted November 01 2006 - 02:02 PM

I used to watch "Murder by Death" in the late 1970s in its local-station airings or possibly network movie-of-the-week showings. At the end of the movie when the famous mystery-novel detectives depart, I could have sworn there used to be a scene where someone driving away from the house encounters Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson arriving late for the proceedings.

I'm thinking either A) it was on old TV prints to help fill out the run time after some of the racier dialogue had been cut or B) I'm completely wrong on this. Probably "B." I've seen the film 10 or 15 times since then on uncut VHS and later DVD, and of course this scene is not there.

#30 of 51 Jeff Jacobson

Jeff Jacobson

Screenwriter

• 2,116 posts

Posted November 01 2006 - 04:26 PM

Also in Hellboy, after Liz blasts the beasts Hellboy is fighting and everything goes black, theres slow fade in with ashes falling when John comes to. I remember during the discussion thread here,some people claimed that scene wasnt in the print they saw.

I read about this on Roger Ebert's page. Apparently some projectionists switched the reels after everything goes black, thinking that the reel was over.

#31 of 51 Ron Reda

Ron Reda

Screenwriter

• 2,281 posts

Posted November 01 2006 - 04:46 PM

"a shot of Lecter actually cutting into Paul Krendler's brain in the gruesome finale of of the film, only to find that that shot had been omitted on the dvd"

That's crazy that it's not on the DVD. I saw that movie in the theater and recall that being a really funny scene to me because it was so over the top. I never did check it out on DVD (because I just thought it was too over the top and not true to what Lecter's character was).
"Music is a magic carpet loaded with oils and other soothing potions, it's just what you need when you don't know what you need, when you've got more questions than answers." - Bob Lefsetz

#32 of 51 Jack Johnson

Jack Johnson

Second Unit

• 277 posts

Posted November 02 2006 - 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Reda
"a shot of Lecter actually cutting into Paul Krendler's brain in the gruesome finale of of the film, only to find that that shot had been omitted on the dvd"

That's crazy that it's not on the DVD. I saw that movie in the theater and recall that being a really funny scene to me because it was so over the top. I never did check it out on DVD (because I just thought it was too over the top and not true to what Lecter's character was).

What's even crazier was how quickly many bought the denials that the shot existed in the first place. I mean, some of us had seen that film quite a few times in theaters... And especially with a shot that far exceeded--graphically--what had been released in any studio and theatrically released film I'd ever seen...I just don't walk easily into those "power of suggestion" arguments.

I have a feeling Ridley Scott got looking at that and thought, well, I just don't need to go there.

For the record, I thought it was in keeping with the over-the-top tone of the finale. The scene suffered by pulling back (losing the shot); a failure to go all the way after jumping in with both feet.

--Jack

#33 of 51 Dave Mack

Dave Mack

Producer

• 4,665 posts

Posted November 02 2006 - 05:48 PM

The hotel wants Danny for his power. The way to get him is to have Jack "whacK' him. They are not that interested in Jack himself is how I read it. Grady implying to Jack that Danny and Wendy needed to be corrected....
Also, 2 Gradys! Charles Grady, man that Ullman describes in beginning and Delbert Grady, ghost in the bar...

#34 of 51 Dan McW

Dan McW

Second Unit

• 335 posts

Posted December 20 2006 - 03:32 PM

Quote:
I used to watch "Murder by Death" in the late 1970s in its local-station airings or possibly network movie-of-the-week showings. At the end of the movie when the famous mystery-novel detectives depart, I could have sworn there used to be a scene where someone driving away from the house encounters Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson arriving late for the proceedings.

I'm thinking either A) it was on old TV prints to help fill out the run time after some of the racier dialogue had been cut or B) I'm completely wrong on this. Probably "B." I've seen the film 10 or 15 times since then on uncut VHS and later DVD, and of course this scene is not there.

For what it's worth, at this late date, I knew I was right on this! I wonder if any ancient VHS issues of the film have the now-cut footage.

http://www.imdb.com/...ternateversions

#35 of 51 Bill GrandPre

Bill GrandPre

Screenwriter

• 2,068 posts

Posted December 20 2006 - 04:26 PM

Quote:
What's even crazier was how quickly many bought the denials that the shot existed in the first place. I mean, some of us had seen that film quite a few times in theaters... And especially with a shot that far exceeded--graphically--what had been released in any studio and theatrically released film I'd ever seen...I just don't walk easily into those "power of suggestion" arguments.

I have a feeling Ridley Scott got looking at that and thought, well, I just don't need to go there.

For the record, I thought it was in keeping with the over-the-top tone of the finale. The scene suffered by pulling back (losing the shot); a failure to go all the way after jumping in with both feet.

It's not really about denials. You can see the scene as it played theatrically in the supplements and it plays just as presented on the DVD proper.

I've gotten into this debate on the IMDB boards and people with European copies of the movie have sworn up and down that *their* version has it only to go back to it and admit that it wasn't there and that they were mistaken.

When it comes to "Hannibal" there isn't a single shred of evidence that the shot of the brain actually being cut was ever included, period, end of story. Nobody's memory is infallible and I challenge you to prove me wrong.
Don't you ever, EVER compare me to "Family Guy," you hear me Kyle? Compare me to "Family Guy" again and so help me, I will kill you where you stand!

Do you have any idea what it's like? Everywhere I go: "Hey Cartman you must like 'Family Guy,' right?" "Hey, your sense of humor reminds me of...

#36 of 51 TonyD

TonyD

Executive Producer

• 16,083 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted December 21 2006 - 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Czyz
There was definitely no falling bird in the theatrical print I saw (opening week), because I was kind of upset afterwards that there *was* no shot of a bird
hitting the invisible ship.
I thought it would have been a cool shot, and I was disappointed that they didn't do it.

what section of the movie was that?
is this Signs..mel gibson?
invisible ship?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan McW

i have seen this ending on murder too, but i dont remember were or how.
facebook.com/whotony

#37 of 51 Barry_B_B

Barry_B_B

Second Unit

• 453 posts

Posted December 21 2006 - 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffMc
He was also lucky to see that infamous uncut sneak preview of "Logan's Run" before they chopped it down to a PG. Me, not so lucky on either count. Posted Image

I hadn't heard of this, can you shed some light?

#38 of 51 Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd

Screenwriter

• 1,695 posts

Posted December 21 2006 - 04:56 AM

LOGAN'S RUN, as it was filmed, had many more scenes of an... ahem... mature nature. The film was cut down quite a bit before general release and the naughty scenes were some of the casualties.

Here's a site with info on the scenes.

http://www.geocities...n/5357/lost.htm
---------------------------------------------
Support Film Preservation before it's too late!
---------------------------------------------

#39 of 51 Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan

Screenwriter

• 2,574 posts

Posted December 21 2006 - 09:48 AM

About the Hannibal scene:

If someone wants to put the argument to rest and is highly motivated, they should try to track down a copy of a bootleg made in the theater with a video camera.

This would basically settle it one way or the other, wouldn't it?

I suppose finding something like this would be extremely difficult, but it may be possible.

And I hope that the administrators can see that this suggestion really is not condoning or discussing "bootlegging". We all know that that stuff happens (though why anyone would want to watch a garbage copy of a film is beyond me), so I'm just pointing out that there may be evidence out there somewhere that can allow film fans to be able to put this particular argument to rest.
I don't believe in transcending the genre, I believe IN the genre - Joss Whedon

#40 of 51 Antony James

Antony James

Stunt Coordinator

• 160 posts

Posted December 21 2006 - 09:59 AM

There's no need. There is already "bootleg" footage in the making of that clearly shows the scene plays out exactly as it does on the DVD. (As was already noted earlier.)

I thought this ridiculous claim was dead and buried? This is what happens when someone resurrects an old thread.

Back to DVD

Forum Nav Content I Follow