What's new

Battlebots question... (1 Viewer)

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
After my hour dosage of 'bots last night, just curious who/what controls the kill saws and those other neutral destroyers in the battlebox? Are they randomly timed by a computer or is some guy sitting there pushing buttons? And who's to say he/she might be pushing the buttons in a preferable way to a contestant?
Jay
------------------
HUGBEES! Link Removed
Rider in the 2001 Alaska AIDS Vaccine Ride
Wanna Link Removed

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
I always thought ( or heard) they were randomly set. I have notice them working even with nothing around them.
Always wanted to build one that looked like to would just get creamed by the sadistic metal robots.Just before it got close enough to attack, hit a button that would generate an EMP spike that would wipe out all electronics ( including cameras, watches, pacemakers etc).
Don't think they would like that
------------------
Why?
Why do you keep hounding me and harassing me and hounding me?
It's not like I don't have anything better to do, you know.
It's not like the Phantom Cruiser is going to wax itself.
It's not like last night's burrito stain will just up and remove itself from my cape.
I am a superhero!
A very very busy superhero! Who does...things!
Now get out of here before I tell your mother.
AND DON'T TRAMPLE MY BEGONIAS!
-Space Ghost..

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
There's a guy who controls them at the push of a button. I don't remember his name. He has orderes to show no mercy.
------------------
These chicks know how to party! - MoJo JoJo

Max Knight

Supporting Actor
The rules don't allow EMP weapons (as per Grant's idea), or the use of heat or cold or electricity (blow torches, arc welders, liquid nitrogen, tazers, etc.). But I would love to see someone use the "tethered projectile" weapon allowed by the rules! That would be really cool.
Check out the construction rules on the website , it really raises your appreciation for the more interesting bots entered.
I'm a total battlebots fiend!
-Max

Dave Dugan

Stunt Coordinator
They show the guy pounding the buttons every now and again. Pay attention and you'll eventually see it. He has a big control panel laid out before him with big red buttons he can slap with abandon...
-Dave

Dax Scott

Stunt Coordinator
The man in charge of the BattleBox is Peter Lambertson. He was the head designer (he had help from others of course), and he's the guy who gets to push the buttons to activate the hammers, saws, ramps, etc. during battle.
Occasionally you'll hear chants of "Pete! Pete! Pete!" from the crowd when he's being particularly nasty to a bot. Can't wait to see what he dreams up for next season...
------------------
Dax R. Scott - DVD Addict
Ask yourself... what would Ditka do?
[Edited last by Dax Scott on September 20, 2001 at 12:22 AM]

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
So, if it's manually controlled, how come he isn't quick enough to maul every robot every time they go over a hazard? There's times when I see robots go over a hazard and it isn't activated??? I would think a randomly controlled hazard by computer would be a more fair way of distributing, not relying upon some person's fast fingers. Is there a delay in which Mr. Lambertson can fire them off? There's plenty of times when that big hammer has no chance of hitting any robot yet it pounds away... it seems a waste of finger movement if it wasn't controlled by a computer!
Jay
------------------
HUGBEES! Link Removed
Wanna Link Removed

Damian

Agent
It is manually controlled. If there are times when a bot gets over a hazard undamaged, then it probably simply means he didn't want to hit it at that particular time.
------------------
-Damian

Dax Scott

Stunt Coordinator
The idea is for the two bots to beat the crap out of each other - the battlebox hazards are just to spice things up. But if Pete gets bored... look out! :)
------------------

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Yeah, I know that the main idea is for the bots to battle each other, but I was just curious about the hazards.. That must be a fun job, getting to bash each robot as one sees fit...
Jay
------------------
HUGBEES! Link Removed
Wanna Link Removed

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
I think the main thing is that they want to keep the action moving. If you linger over/under a hazard, you get bit.
------------------
These chicks know how to party! - MoJo JoJo

Wes Ray

Supporting Actor
I love this show. Battlebots rules. I'm sure the saws, etc. are randomly set.
------------------
Horror AND non-horror fans unite!
jasvparbanner2.jpg

Dave Dugan

Stunt Coordinator
Dude, they're not random... As I said, they occasionally show the guy hitting the buttons. Watch closely.
-Dave

Dax Scott

Stunt Coordinator
... and the guy hitting the buttons is Peter Lambertson.
Anybody get the feeling we're going in circles here?
laugh.gif

------------------

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hemolens
Recent bookmarks