Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Battlebots question...

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 of 14 OFFLINE   Jay H

Jay H

Producer

• 5,677 posts
  • LocationPittsfield, MA

Posted September 19 2001 - 03:34 AM

After my hour dosage of 'bots last night, just curious who/what controls the kill saws and those other neutral destroyers in the battlebox? Are they randomly timed by a computer or is some guy sitting there pushing buttons? And who's to say he/she might be pushing the buttons in a preferable way to a contestant?

Jay

------------------
HUGBEES! My Equipment List

Rider in the 2001 Alaska AIDS Vaccine Ride
Wanna help?
You are the crispy noodle in the vegetarian salad of life

#2 of 14 OFFLINE   Grant B

Grant B

Producer

• 3,213 posts

Posted September 19 2001 - 07:23 AM

I always thought ( or heard) they were randomly set. I have notice them working even with nothing around them. Always wanted to build one that looked like to would just get creamed by the sadistic metal robots.Just before it got close enough to attack, hit a button that would generate an EMP spike that would wipe out all electronics ( including cameras, watches, pacemakers etc). Don't think they would like that ------------------ Why? Why do you keep hounding me and harassing me and hounding me? It's not like I don't have anything better to do, you know. It's not like the Phantom Cruiser is going to wax itself. It's not like last night's burrito stain will just up and remove itself from my cape. I am a superhero! A very very busy superhero! Who does...things! Now get out of here before I tell your mother. AND DON'T TRAMPLE MY BEGONIAS! -Space Ghost..
"Whatever it is, I'm against it!" G. Marx

Sony TAE/TAP/TAN(2)9000ES;DVP-CX860 DVP-CX777ES
Sony CDP-CX270 CDP-CX355 CDP-CX270 CDP-CX355
Sony S-TS 700ES XPR32450Pioneer Elite CLD 79 KEFs (5) Q75s & 20B Subwoofer

#3 of 14 OFFLINE   LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport

Screenwriter

• 2,980 posts

Posted September 19 2001 - 07:59 AM

There's a guy who controls them at the push of a button. I don't remember his name. He has orderes to show no mercy. ------------------ These chicks know how to party! - MoJo JoJo

#4 of 14 OFFLINE   Max Knight

Max Knight

Supporting Actor

• 535 posts

Posted September 19 2001 - 09:13 AM

The rules don't allow EMP weapons (as per Grant's idea), or the use of heat or cold or electricity (blow torches, arc welders, liquid nitrogen, tazers, etc.). But I would love to see someone use the "tethered projectile" weapon allowed by the rules! That would be really cool.

Check out the construction rules on the website , it really raises your appreciation for the more interesting bots entered.
I'm a total battlebots fiend!
-Max
Max Knight
----------
Lacking fins and tail
the gefilte fish swims with
great difficulty.

#5 of 14 OFFLINE   Dave Dugan

Dave Dugan

Stunt Coordinator

• 84 posts

Posted September 19 2001 - 11:49 AM

They show the guy pounding the buttons every now and again. Pay attention and you'll eventually see it. He has a big control panel laid out before him with big red buttons he can slap with abandon... -Dave

#6 of 14 OFFLINE   Dax Scott

Dax Scott

Stunt Coordinator

• 55 posts

Posted September 19 2001 - 09:20 PM

The man in charge of the BattleBox is Peter Lambertson. He was the head designer (he had help from others of course), and he's the guy who gets to push the buttons to activate the hammers, saws, ramps, etc. during battle. Occasionally you'll hear chants of "Pete! Pete! Pete!" from the crowd when he's being particularly nasty to a bot. Can't wait to see what he dreams up for next season... ------------------ Dax R. Scott - DVD Addict Ask yourself... what would Ditka do? [Edited last by Dax Scott on September 20, 2001 at 12:22 AM]
Dax R. Scott - DVD Addict
Ask yourself... what would Ditka do?

#7 of 14 OFFLINE   Jay H

Jay H

Producer

• 5,677 posts
  • LocationPittsfield, MA

Posted September 20 2001 - 03:34 AM

So, if it's manually controlled, how come he isn't quick enough to maul every robot every time they go over a hazard? There's times when I see robots go over a hazard and it isn't activated??? I would think a randomly controlled hazard by computer would be a more fair way of distributing, not relying upon some person's fast fingers. Is there a delay in which Mr. Lambertson can fire them off? There's plenty of times when that big hammer has no chance of hitting any robot yet it pounds away... it seems a waste of finger movement if it wasn't controlled by a computer!

Jay

------------------

Wanna help?

#8 of 14 OFFLINE   Damian

Damian

Agent

• 40 posts

Posted September 20 2001 - 06:00 AM

It is manually controlled. If there are times when a bot gets over a hazard undamaged, then it probably simply means he didn't want to hit it at that particular time. ------------------ -Damian
-Damian

#9 of 14 OFFLINE   Dax Scott

Dax Scott

Stunt Coordinator

• 55 posts

Posted September 20 2001 - 06:20 PM

The idea is for the two bots to beat the crap out of each other - the battlebox hazards are just to spice things up. But if Pete gets bored... look out! Posted Image

------------------

#10 of 14 OFFLINE   Jay H

Jay H

Producer

• 5,677 posts
  • LocationPittsfield, MA

Posted September 21 2001 - 04:50 AM

Yeah, I know that the main idea is for the bots to battle each other, but I was just curious about the hazards.. That must be a fun job, getting to bash each robot as one sees fit...

Jay

------------------

Wanna help?

#11 of 14 OFFLINE   LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport

Screenwriter

• 2,980 posts

Posted September 21 2001 - 01:50 PM

I think the main thing is that they want to keep the action moving. If you linger over/under a hazard, you get bit. ------------------ These chicks know how to party! - MoJo JoJo

#12 of 14 OFFLINE   Wes Ray

Wes Ray

Supporting Actor

• 508 posts

Posted September 21 2001 - 11:05 PM

I love this show. Battlebots rules. I'm sure the saws, etc. are randomly set.

------------------
Horror AND non-horror fans unite!

Posted Image

#13 of 14 OFFLINE   Dave Dugan

Dave Dugan

Stunt Coordinator

• 84 posts

Posted September 22 2001 - 07:50 AM

Dude, they're not random... As I said, they occasionally show the guy hitting the buttons. Watch closely. -Dave

#14 of 14 OFFLINE   Dax Scott

Dax Scott

Stunt Coordinator

• 55 posts

Posted September 22 2001 - 12:02 PM

... and the guy hitting the buttons is Peter Lambertson.

Anybody get the feeling we're going in circles here? Posted Image

------------------

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users