What's new

'Smallville' Heads to HD DVD (1 Viewer)

Kyle McKnight

Senior HTF Member

TravisR, are you serious? You think it's just standard 480p video that they're gonna put on five HD-DVDs? It's going to be HiDef versions of the episodes, something that many will put a $20 premium on! They're not delivering HD-DVDs with standard resolution content on them, but with higher resolution video!

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
And it takes 5 discs for 16 or so hours of content?

EDIT: Saying you can fit the entire season on one disc is (of course) an over exageration but five discs seems like overkill when HD-DVDs are touted as having so much space. All that being said, I imagine this will be a very nice set and a good start for HD TV DVDs.

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
Yes, they have much more space than SD DVD, but HD content also takes up more space. Remember HD has six times the resolution of SD.

LarryH

Supporting Actor

People were agonizing over whether the 30 GB HD-DVD would be enough for a two-hour movie, hence the touted superiority of Blu-ray.

I just hope they aren't over-compressed to get four HD episodes (~160 minutes) on three single disks and five episodes (~200 minutes) on two disks, since there are 22 episodes in a season.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
This is great news. Nov 28 is certainly a day for Superman & HD-DVD...

Superman:The Movie HD-DVD
Superman II HD-DVD
Superman Returns HD-DVD
Smallville: Season 5 HD-DVD

Greatness....:)

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann

There should be absolutly no problem fitting 4 episodes in HD on a 30 GB HD-DVD without worring about compression problems.

MarekM

Supporting Actor

I agree Thomas, with digital source, they will get better compression results compare to film source....

Marek

Marko Berg

Supporting Actor

I've never heard this claim made before. How is an all-digital source better than a digital source that originated from film as far as compression is concerned? It's an honest question and I'd like to know more, so if you have a link please provide one.

MarekM

Supporting Actor

Marko, if it was filmed with DIGITAL CAMERAS, you have cleaner image, no film grain etc etc.... so in the final you will get better compression ratio compare to film source....

Marek

PS. it's almost like when I am doing DVD from digital source (with digital camera involved) compare to analog betacam, you will have analog noise...... so I have to be more carefull and I need more bitrates to handle that noise, here you have film grain (of course depends on film stock or digital cleaning..)

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
It should also be noted that unlike most films, each episode will only have one audio track (DD 5.1), which helps save space for the video compression.

Real Name
John S. Troutman
Each BROADCASTED episode of Smallville is in the ballpark of 5gb at 1080i and Dolby 5.1, give or take. Assuming that the HD-DVDs will contain higher quality versions, I'd say it's reasonable to expect 4 to 5 episodes on each disc. Ergo, 5 discs sound exactly right to me if they're 30gb discs.

Then again, VC-1 could probably get the file sizes down LOWER than the MPEG2 broadcasts, so all this math is probably meaningless. ;)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
so it will probably be about $45 on first week.

how am i going to buy all these supermen

MarekM

Supporting Actor
sorry for little off topic, anyone with link to hires TRAILER for season 5 ? I was not able to google that trailer :frowning:

thanx
Marek

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks