-

Photo
- - - - -

Problems with HK Receivers

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 of 11 OFFLINE   dlachman1023

dlachman1023

Auditioning

• 6 posts

Posted October 20 2006 - 10:39 AM

Has anyone had any problems with HK 335 or 340 Receivers going into permanent "Protect" mode which effectively kills the receiver. My HK 335 had some sort of issue after little over a year and the factory replacement (a 340) did the same thing after about a month. I have not had any electrical issues in the house and even have added a whole house surge protector recently. HK has been great to deal with, but I am baffled as to why I am having this issue - is it a HW problem or environmental? Any thoughts?

#2 of 11 OFFLINE   homthtr

homthtr

Supporting Actor

• 519 posts

Posted October 21 2006 - 03:38 AM

Does the Amp Stay in protected mode even after disconnecting all the speaker wires from the back of the amp?

In other words if you disconnect everything, place the amp on your kitchen table and plug it in does it still stay in protection?

#3 of 11 OFFLINE   Roger D

Roger D

Agent

• 39 posts

Posted October 21 2006 - 09:31 AM

I've had the HK 130 for almost 2 years and haven't had any problems.

I am having an issue where my center channel is very quiet with DTS, but I think that's an issue with my DVD player.

#4 of 11 OFFLINE   Steve Adams

Steve Adams

Second Unit

• 434 posts

Posted October 22 2006 - 02:17 PM

common problem with H/K receivers, i know i have said this a million times...but the "hi current" H/K says is great, is actually bad for the units. when I was selling them I had a return rate over 60%. all effectively cooked from the hi current circuitry. send it back and get a replacement.
"I did'nt know she was a cop, I thought she was a hooker!" (homer simpson)

#5 of 11 OFFLINE   dlachman1023

dlachman1023

Auditioning

• 6 posts

Posted October 23 2006 - 04:48 AM

The units stay in protected mode when everything is disconnected. HK Tech Support said there could be a short happening with the speaker wires? I've got everything connected via banana plugs so I am not sure how that could happen.

#6 of 11 OFFLINE   dlachman1023

dlachman1023

Auditioning

• 6 posts

Posted November 14 2006 - 12:26 AM

I received another replacement receiver yesterday and hooked it up last night. Within about 10 minutes it died. The whole reason I bought the receiver was for its multi-room function - I wired speakers through out the 1st floor of my house. I have the multi-room speakers connected to a Sima speaker selector box which controls the speakers from room to room. I was testing out the speakers in the other rooms when it blew. Any ideas why this might be happening? HK has been a pleasure to deal with, but my patience is growing thin.

#7 of 11 OFFLINE   Ryan Leemhuis

Ryan Leemhuis

Second Unit

• 490 posts

Posted November 15 2006 - 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlachman1023
I received another replacement receiver yesterday and hooked it up last night. Within about 10 minutes it died. The whole reason I bought the receiver was for its multi-room function - I wired speakers through out the 1st floor of my house. I have the multi-room speakers connected to a Sima speaker selector box which controls the speakers from room to room. I was testing out the speakers in the other rooms when it blew. Any ideas why this might be happening? HK has been a pleasure to deal with, but my patience is growing thin.

Something seems wrong to me with what your doing or you have a short SOMEWHERE if you have gone through receivers that quickly. I own a 435 and have had no problems.

#8 of 11 OFFLINE   gene c

gene c

Producer

• 5,713 posts
  • LocationBay area, Ca

Posted November 16 2006 - 11:05 AM

I've had an H/K 520 for 4 years and a 435 for 8 months without any problems. I must be part of the other "40 percent"! But I don't push mine too hard either. H/K does seem to have more "issues" than most other brands, but it sounds to me like the OP might have some other wiring problems as well.
"Everyday room": Panasonic 58" Plasma, Dish HD DVR, Pioneer Elite vsx-23, BDP-23 BR, dv58avi universal dvd player, Paradigm Studio 20 V1, CC-450, Dayton HSU-10 subwoofer.

"Movie/Music room": Toshiba 65" DLP, Dish HD receiver, Marantz 7005, CC-4003, BD-7006, Polk LSI25's-LSi7's-LSiC, 2 original Dayton 10" "Mighty-Mites" subwoofers. (subject to change without notice).

Also have  MB Quart Vera VS05 +.....too much to list. Help me.

#9 of 11 OFFLINE   dlachman1023

dlachman1023

Auditioning

• 6 posts

Posted November 27 2006 - 12:25 AM

I spoke with the HK Tech Supervisor and they are going to send me a 445 B stock unit. I am thinking about utilizing a second receiver instead of using the multi-room feature. The short seems to be there - both replacement receivers have fried after making adjustments to the speaker selector box. I'll just run some RCA connections between the two receivers to get the DVD and Digital Music from the cable box through out the house. It is getting too painful to try figure out where the short is.

#10 of 11 OFFLINE   JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin

Producer

• 3,219 posts

Posted November 27 2006 - 12:48 AM

and what of the speaker selector box? Might that be part of the problem?

#11 of 11 OFFLINE   dlachman1023

dlachman1023

Auditioning

• 6 posts

Posted November 28 2006 - 12:04 AM

My guess is that the speaker box is the problem. I got the box from J&R - the maker is Sima. The wiring connections are to terminal blocks which then snaps into the speaker box. I am thinking there could be a bad connection between the terminal block and the speaker box. This is as close to a root cause as I can get to.

At this point, having gone through 3 receivers I am probably going to use a second receiver for multi-room functions instead of risking destruction of a 4th receiver.