What's new

Enormous space, but no OST? (1 Viewer)

Mattias_ka

Supporting Actor
Yes, I have seen a very disturbing trend on many HD releases. That they only comes with a remixed audiotrack and not the original. I really hope this will stop because I don't want to have to choose between better resolution (HD) or OST (DVD). Have anyone more thought about this?

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Don’t forget that a good many DVDs have had remixed sound tracks. There appears to be some market for surround sound on older movies that were made in stereo or mono. Also some releases have had remixes that expanded the frequency range of the original recordings.

For me, I’d rather have original sound track, but altering them is hardly a practice that began with HD.

Dave_P.

Supporting Actor
Yep, just look at the wonderful DD remix of The Terminator that's on the DVD and Blu-Ray discs. Arnie's handgun mysteriously seems to have received an invisible silencer. Maybe courtesy of Cyrberdyne? No original track to be found.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
are there AVR's that downmix multichannel into mono into center channel? i'd like to think there is... but it sounds like many AVR's take mono and expand that into surround more. i mean, that's like the same effect if people want mono =). it's like people w/o 5.1 but playback DVD's encoded with ONLY DD5.1, it can be demux into 2.0.

Mattias_ka

Supporting Actor

Yes, this kind of things make me *holding my breath*, angry. And I will never buy a HD-DVD when they destroy's the original movie like that. I still "only" have the THX LD on that one.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Funny reaction, given the fact that The Terminator is not on a HD DVD disc, but on Blu-ray.

But I understand your feelings.

In fact, I'm rather angry myself, I started buying three Blu-ray discs: T1, T2 and The Fifth Element (trusting they would do their very best to make the new format shine), and as it appeared they were all f*%!ed up in different ways. :angry:
Image bad, sound track not restored, scratches and fuzzy. Not really *worse* than the SDVD version, but certainly not worth the price or the format.

Cees

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks