What's new

LCD TV Suggestions? (1 Viewer)

J-EL

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
J
I'm looking into getting a new television, probably an LCD from the looks of it. I'm looking for something in the price range of around $1,000 - $1,500 and something around 37 - 42 inches. I'm not sure if I'll ever get a HD-DVD player, so long as it has some kind of HDMI input, I guess I'm okay, right? As I mentioned, I've got a pretty basic set-up. A Toshiba CRT and a Dolby Digital/DTS 5.1 receiver connected to my DVD player via optical cable. I've had the Toshiba CRT for quite sometime and it's done me good, but seeing Superman Returns on a big ol' LCD HDTV is just to cool to pass up. :D

Any suggestions on brands or specific televisions within the price and size range I've mentioned would be very helpful. Thanks in advance. :)

SethH

Senior HTF Member
The 42" Westinghouse 1080p can be found for just over $1500. If your $1500 maximum is a hard max, then you might should consider the Sharp Aquos 37".

J-EL

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
J

Thanks. I believe I've seen the Sharp in stores and it looks like a pretty nice set. How's the quality? Is it up to par with say Panasonic or Toshiba? Most of the Sharp/Sanyo models I've seen of standard def CRT's...the quality doesn't quite see up to Panny, Sony, or Toshiba. But their if their LCD's are of good quality, then I'll definitely check around. Thanks again. :)

SethH

Senior HTF Member
Sharp was one of the earliest players in the LCD television business. If you look around at posts by Arthur S you'll find that Consumer Reports recently rated the Sharp at the best picture quality for a 37" LCD. The Westinghouse 42" received an overall rating of 4th among the 42" LCDs, but is the closest to your price range out of the highly rated 42" screens.

If you were looking plasma instead of LCD then Panasonic would be top of the list. I'm honestly not all that familiar with Toshiba LCDs.

J-EL

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
J

Well, it looks like the Sharp LCD is the best way to go.

Which is better, LCD or Plasma? I was under the impression that LCD's are better and in the long run last longer?

I haven't seen many Toshiba LCD's in stores. I think perhaps they tend to focus more on Rear Projection rather than LCD and Plasma.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
Plasma has burn-in issues, espacially if you play video games. I am probably going with a Sony SXRD, but it costs considerably more than your $1,500 budget.

J-EL

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
J
I also have a question regarding HD-DVD. Now, I'm going to wait a good while before I get into the HD-DVD/Blu-Ray stuff, but I just want to know that if I do eventually get one and hook it up to my receiver via the optical cable (my receiver doesn't have a HDMI input) will I still get the full 5.1 sound? Will it sound as good as standard DVD? I'm really quite happy with my sound system and don't really want to upgrade. So if I can get the same kind of sound out of the optical cable from the HD-DVD player as I do from a standard DVD player, then it's all good and I might go ahead and get into this HD-DVD stuff. :)

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter

The HD-A1 has both the Optical SPDIF & RCA plug SPDIF OUTput.

Since my Yamaha AV Receiver has 6-CH INPUTS, I use the HD-A1 5.1 Analog OUTputs exclusively to hear my HD DVD's "Dolby Digital Plus" audio format or "TrueHD 5.1" :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :D (Batman Returns)
htf_images_smilies_dance.gif
audio format, ... which, by the way, surpasses any audio format to date available for consumer playback.

IMHO - Using the HD-A1 5.1 Analog OUTputs for my SD DVD's DD/DTS-5.1 Audio OUTput sounds better (frequency, dynamics and resolution) vs. the RCA plug SPDIF option.

Hope this helps,
Phil

FYI: See digital images of my HD DVD "The Phantom of the Opera" (2.40:1 Aspect Ratio) on my Westinghouse LTV-37w2 HDTV - HDMI INPut - Calibrated using Digital Video Essentials DVD.

LTV-37w2 Aspect Ratio = Standard
HD-A1 HD DVD OUTput = 1080i

J-EL

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
J
Thanks for the information, Phil! It's good to know that the sound will actually be better. :emoji_thumbsup:

I might have to jump the HD bandwagon within the next few months. :)

J-EL

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
J
It looks like the Sharp LC-37SH20U will more than likely be the one I'm going with. So, is it a good buy? It looked pretty nice in the story and it's the perfect size for the viewing area. And it looks like it's got everything I'll need if I decide to upgrade to HD-DVD in the future. Right?

http://www.tvauthority.com/LCD-TV-an...=10-27315010-2

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks