What's new

Replace receiver or add a poweramp? (1 Viewer)

Jonny Rico

Auditioning
Real Name
Tom
Hi all,

I currently have a NAD T 742, rated at 5 x 50W. I want to buy some Paradigm 60's, for mains, which I don't think it can run. So I need more power in my system.

I can either upgrade to a bigger receiver, such as a NAD 773, 7 X 110W, or add a poweramp like the NAD 272, 2 X 150W, to power the front speakers and use the NAD 742 to power my other channels.

What I'd like advice on is whether using the 742 / 272 combo is going to produce sound which is as good as the 773 alone. I'm concerned that the pre-amps on the 742 might weaken the sound.

Also, does anyone know if is possible to bi-amp the 773? If so, that would seem to be clearly the better choice.

John Brill

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
The NAD 742 can probably power the Paradigm Studio 60's (rated from 15w - 220w) quite well. Weighing in at 36 lbs, I'm sure it's in the same category as the Yamaha and Denon's that claim 100-110 watts per channel. NAD, like H/K, tend to be more accurate in their power ratings claim and therefore always appear to be less powerfull when in fact they are just as, if not more powerful. If money is an issue, I'd try the 60's with the 742 first to see if power is adequate.

However, adding a power amp to the setup is an option if you are happy with your 742 processor (I believe it's the same Cirrus Logic DAC as in most of the top end Marantz, Onkyo, and Rotel A/V's!). I'm sure the pre-amp outs in the 742 are quite decent.

The only real reason to move up to the NAD 773 is if you are interested in having overall more power for future speaker upgrades, want an improved DAC for Dolby Pro Logic IIx, and want an almost 70lbs beast :)

Jonny Rico

Auditioning
Real Name
Tom
Thanks for the replies - it seems the real advantage with the 773 is the fact that you've got extra power available for extra channels. But I don't think I need that power for surrounds/centre, and if I change my mind, I guess I can always add more 272's to the system later, so I'm leaning toward going for the 272.

Nick:G

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Nick Gallegos
Jonny,

Like recommended before, I'd keep your current receiver and see how it does on the new Paradigm's first.

If you do decide on a new receiver or add-on amplifier afterall, consider upgrading the power for all channels, or at least give the center channel power that is equal or greater to the front left/right channels. Your center speaker does the most of the work in a home theater setup and should never be shortchanged. A common mistake that most people make is to augment the front left/right channels with an external 2-channel power amp and wonder why the center sounds so puny in comparison.

V JACKSON

Agent
I have a very high end Denon recevier that I use as a pre/pro with seperate amps for all channels and I would never go back.. Although the Denon sounds outstanding with its own internal amps, I still prefer the seperates. But I agree, don't short change your center channel. Use seperates or a 3-channel amp at least for your fronts and center............

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
I've just recently added outboard amps to my similarly-rated HK 325, and while not night and day, I can definitely 'tell' there's a difference, for the better. I added an HK PA2200, rated at 100 per side. I also tossed my sub amp in, just for fun, a 250w/8 AB International, and didn't gain any advantage over the 2200.

Most online calculators say I need about 25 watts per channel to reach 95db, which is about my comfort threshold, so I have around 6db of headroom.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
I completely agree. And if you don't have heavy bass going into the speakers (because you have a sub) you don't need much power anyway for any speaker.

Users who are viewing this thread