• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 of 21 Abby_B

Abby_B

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted October 18 2006 - 06:02 AM

So, I just learned that they are rereleasing Nightmare Before Christmas in 3-D this year - how cool is that?? I am so excited because I never saw it in the theater when it was first released, and now it's back. And how awesome is it going to be to see a 3-D Halloweeentown? Tim Burton's stuff is totally perfect to be in 3-D anyway. Is anybody else going to see this?

#2 of 21 Brian D H

Brian D H

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted October 18 2006 - 06:32 AM

I'm not that interested in seeing this, but I did find the 3-D process interesting to watch.

When I saw Superman Returns 3-D I knew that they had to create some image with CG in order to make you see the 3-D, since the right and left eyes will need to see slightly different angles. When I watched certain scenes I winked my eyes back and forth and I was able to tell which eye was seeing the original filmed image and which had been CG'd to create the different angle. In other words the image going to my left eye (I think it was my left) looked slightly fake along the edge of objects.

I think a stylized world like Halloween Town should hold up much better to the process.
Lurking at HTF Since 2001

#3 of 21 Jason Roer

Jason Roer

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 977 posts

Posted October 18 2006 - 09:36 AM

Hey all,

I've known about this for a while now and can't wait to see it! I don't know if I'm going to get to see it Friday - might have to wait until Monday - but I am there asap! I love the Nightmare Before Christmas and it should be an incredible experience in 3D.

Cheers,

Jason

#4 of 21 Steve Phillips

Steve Phillips

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts

Posted October 18 2006 - 01:25 PM

This is digitally projected polarized (clear glasses) 3-D via Real D's platform. (There is no IMAX release.)

I was very impressed with the process with CHICKEN LITTLE, more-so with MONSTER HOUSE, so I'm looking forward to this one also.

Luckily they just installed Real D in a second theatre complex in Las Vegas, so now people don't have to drive all the way across town to see the 3-D versions. There are several more 3-D movies coming in Digital (finally even some live action stuff) so hopefully more and more screens will be equipped by next year.

#5 of 21 Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 13,816 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted October 18 2006 - 03:25 PM

Considering that this wasn't photographed in 3D, it will have to be fake 3D, yes?

I saw Superman Returns in 3D. Real 3D (either Monster House or Ant Bully) trailer looked crystal clear and amazing. The 3D parts of the movie will headache inducing.

#6 of 21 Abby_B

Abby_B

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted October 19 2006 - 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Phillips
This is digitally projected polarized (clear glasses) 3-D via Real D's platform. (There is no IMAX release.)

I was very impressed with the process with CHICKEN LITTLE, more-so with MONSTER HOUSE, so I'm looking forward to this one also.

Luckily they just installed Real D in a second theatre complex in Las Vegas, so now people don't have to drive all the way across town to see the 3-D versions. There are several more 3-D movies coming in Digital (finally even some live action stuff) so hopefully more and more screens will be equipped by next year.

I think it's going to look cool just because of the way the characters were originally drawn. To me, it seems like they will look perfect in 3-D. I read somewhere the other day about Tim Burton saying that back in the early 90s he couldn't do everything he wanted to do with the film because the technology wasn't there yet, and now he can do more because of the 3-D stuff. Makes me feel good that he is involved with the process. Also, just because this movie is all nostalgic and awesome like that Posted Image

#7 of 21 Steve Phillips

Steve Phillips

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts

Posted October 19 2006 - 05:41 AM

From what I gather, the IMAX people and the Digital 3-D people each have their own different approaches to "dimensionalizing" 2-D material. SUPERMAN was IMAX, and live action material, so I wouldn't pre-judge NIGHTMARE's 3-D version based on that. I did see the trailer in 3-D before MONSTER HOUSe, and it looked good but it was pretty short.

My own opinion with SUPERMAN/fake IMAX 3D was that the first sequence was artifical looking, but the two major action sequences that followed were pretty effective. I experienced no eye-strain, but the sequences were fairly brief.

Up until recently, I wasn't convinced that effective 2D to 3-D conversion was even possible, but I think we've only seen the beginning. Still, the best option is to shoot in 3-D on set, I think.

#8 of 21 dpippel

dpippel

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,033 posts

Posted October 19 2006 - 06:40 AM

I'd be much more impressed if Disney simply gave us an anamorphic (or better yet, high-def) DVD release of "The Nightmare Before Christmas".
Careful man! There's a beverage here!

#9 of 21 Dave Mack

Dave Mack

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 4,665 posts

Posted October 20 2006 - 09:44 AM

we're gonna go next week, should be fun!

#10 of 21 Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 13,816 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted October 20 2006 - 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Phillips
SUPERMAN was IMAX, and live action material, so I wouldn't pre-judge NIGHTMARE's 3-D version based on that.
Since Nightmare was shot stop-motion, it is, for all intents and purposes, live action. They still have only the original photographed stills to work from, correct?

#11 of 21 Adam_S

Adam_S

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 6,079 posts

Posted October 20 2006 - 08:18 PM

this is being shown in a lot more theatres than Monster House 3d was. Market is maturing nicely for the star wars 3d rerelease next year.

#12 of 21 Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 4,528 posts

Posted October 21 2006 - 04:49 AM

Being one of the centers of Disney for the world finally pays off... as we have THREE Disney Digital / Real 3D cinemas in town (AMC Pleasure Island, Cinemark Festival Bay, and Regal Waterford) for these types of releases.

I've seen Chicken Little and saw Nightmare last night and am really impressed by the releases because of the subtleness of the presentation. This has been said before but it's more like looking into a window than anything else.

#13 of 21 Bill GrandPre

Bill GrandPre

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,065 posts

Posted October 21 2006 - 05:22 AM

Quote:
Since Nightmare was shot stop-motion, it is, for all intents and purposes, live action. They still have only the original photographed stills to work from, correct?

Yeah, "Nightmare" is 100% photography as opposed to the massive amounts of CGI in "Superman Returns".
Don't you ever, EVER compare me to "Family Guy," you hear me Kyle? Compare me to "Family Guy" again and so help me, I will kill you where you stand!

Do you have any idea what it's like? Everywhere I go: "Hey Cartman you must like 'Family Guy,' right?" "Hey, your sense of humor reminds me of...

#14 of 21 Michael Coate

Michael Coate

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted October 21 2006 - 04:50 PM

Quote:
this is being shown in a lot more theatres than Monster House 3d was.

My research suggests that "Nightmare" is being shown in nearly the same number of 3-D engagements as did "Monster House." And if one considers that "Monster House" had 3-D and 2-D D-Cinema showings, then it was actually shown digitally in more locations than "The Nightmare Before Christmas."

For those interested, here's the link to a list of where "The Nightmare Before Christmas" is showing in 3-D.

http://www.fromscrip...are_xmas_3d.htm

And here's the "Monster House" list for comparison:
http://www.fromscrip....e_d_cinema.htm

#15 of 21 Brian-W

Brian-W

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts

Posted October 23 2006 - 09:16 AM

Saw this yesterday.

I have mixed feelings about what I saw. First, to me, effective 3D works in very bright and light situations with lots of contrasting objects. Second, also in the same way where there are a lot of objects that convey depth (i.e. objects on screen at different depths). Overall? Not bad.

To me, it was like MPEG/Compression artifacts: Sometimes is jumped right out at you, other times you had to really look for it. Overall, not bad, but I am surprised Disney doesn't try this with some of their Pixar films, where digital objects are much easier to replicate/create 3D versions.
* No longer looking for Hi-Vision Laserdiscs *
(I buried that format)

www.16cylinder.com
www.jet-x.com

#16 of 21 Adam_S

Adam_S

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 6,079 posts

Posted October 23 2006 - 11:18 AM

I would LOVE to see Incredibles in Disney Digital 3d. If only because I want to see it on the big screen again.

I guess I was just under the impression this was a broader 3d release. The list for Nightmare felt much longer than the I remembered the list for Monster House being.

#17 of 21 RomanSohor

RomanSohor

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted October 30 2006 - 02:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam_S
I would LOVE to see Incredibles in Disney Digital 3d. If only because I want to see it on the big screen again..

I'd say look for it in The Incredibles 2 :-)

Anyway, I think right now they are looking at the 3D for movies that they feel could use a boost (Chicken Little) or for a special attraction (NBC) ... the next Disney film scheduled for 3D is "Meet The Robinsons" the next CGI film from Disney Feature animation. Ratatouille is not being planned for a 3D release.
Roman Sohor, CTS

#18 of 21 Chris Dugger

Chris Dugger

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 663 posts

Posted October 30 2006 - 03:43 AM

The process used to bring 2-d to 3-d is very impressive.

It will only get better in time.... I saw a demo the other day were Real-D has created new cameras that can capture and transmit live 3-d images and the effect was very, very impressive.

Also the converted scenes from the opening of the original STAR WARS was very clear and major depth. You would be had pressed to tell this wasn't shot 3-d.

Dugger
Check out - CONFESSION

Coming Soon to the Dare To Direct CHILLERTV contest!

#19 of 21 Adam_S

Adam_S

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 6,079 posts

Posted October 30 2006 - 05:46 AM

Anyone think the Star Wars rerelease will push the 3d theatre count up to 1000? that seems to be the sort of number GL would shoot for to have a big success. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing them in the theatre again even though they are the inferior special editions. :P

#20 of 21 ScottR

ScottR

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts

Posted October 30 2006 - 08:47 AM

The theatre I saw this at had the film projected at around 2.0:1. The top and bottom were cropped pretty badly.

Back to Movies (Theatrical)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Forum Nav Content I Follow