Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Post when you bought your XBox360 and if it is has broken down or not

Xbox

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
41 replies to this topic

#1 of 42 Dean L

Dean L

Stunt Coordinator

• 205 posts

Posted October 17 2006 - 04:33 PM

Lets make this thread simple,
post when you bought your 360, if it has been problem free since your purchase date, or if it has been repaired or replaced. Again, even if you have had no problems...since most only post if they have had problems. ANd always feel free to add an update if you run into any problems down the road.

I'll start off (though maybe its too soon for me) purchased mine last week. Problem free so far...but purchased Best Buy's extended 2 year warranty after reading horror stories on several forums.

#2 of 42 Brian_Pete

Brian_Pete

Stunt Coordinator

• 112 posts

Posted October 18 2006 - 12:59 AM

Purchased new August 15. Red ring o' death 1 week later.

1st replacement unit 3 weeks later. Disc drive picks and chooses when it wants to load games, sometimes never. Returned 1 week later.

2nd replacement unit 3 weeks later. Play any game for 5 to 10 minutes screen becomes garbled up with cross-stitch pattern. The system must be reset and the same thing happens 5 minutes later.

10/18: Microsoft has asked me to borrow cables from a friend to see if this fixes the problem which I am trying tonight. They have also informed me that they changed their policy and that I will have to pay for shipping if their POS system has to be replaced again.

#3 of 42 HarryEV

HarryEV

Auditioning

• 5 posts

Posted October 18 2006 - 02:08 AM

I got mine in late March early April. Sometimes when I play Oblivion it gets choppy or worse but I heard these are problems from the game makers and not my system. Other then that I have had no problems at all but I choose to stay on the safe side after some of the problems with the original X-Box and got the extended warrenty through Microsoft. I have a friend who got his 360 at the same time as me and he has had no problems either.

#4 of 42 Matt^Brown

Matt^Brown

Supporting Actor

• 623 posts

Posted October 18 2006 - 03:08 AM

Purchased 12-19-05
Slowly died end of July into August
Replacement has been working fine so far but recently the drive has acted a little funny and it does not always want to recognize the controllers. I'm thinking that slow death number two may be on its' way.
The Legend is better than reality!

#5 of 42 RAF

RAF

Lead Actor

• 7,062 posts

Posted October 18 2006 - 03:13 AM

Purchased and received on the day of release. No problems at all.
RAF
[Demented Video Dude since 1997]
[Computer Maven since 1956]
["PITA" since 1942]
CLICK HERE to visit My HT HTF Rules and Regulations

#6 of 42 James Ryfun

James Ryfun

Stunt Coordinator

• 97 posts

Posted October 18 2006 - 06:46 AM

Purchased mine in February of this year, the system was manufactured in December of '05. Began freezing up the last few weeks, and finally got the 3 red lights of death a week or ago. It's on it's way to MS. Actually, they should have it by now. (I hope.)

#7 of 42 Joe Barclay

Joe Barclay

Auditioning

• 6 posts

Posted October 18 2006 - 12:28 PM

I purchased mine on launch day and still have no problems at all.

#8 of 42 RichardK

RichardK

Second Unit

• 451 posts

Posted October 18 2006 - 02:34 PM

purchased on launch day. no problems.

#9 of 42 Eric Samonte

Eric Samonte

Screenwriter

• 1,325 posts

Posted October 19 2006 - 11:58 AM

I hope I don't jinx it...purchased 2 months after release, no problems yet....

#10 of 42 EricW

EricW

Screenwriter

• 2,309 posts

Posted October 19 2006 - 06:41 PM

mine was the second shipment from launch (pre-ordered). no problems at all ever
"now, if that's a fact, tell me... am i lying?"

#11 of 42 Robbie R

Robbie R

Stunt Coordinator

• 163 posts

Posted October 20 2006 - 02:51 AM

Purchased December 23, 2005

Problem free.

#12 of 42 Sevker

Sevker

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted October 20 2006 - 07:27 AM

Purchased at some point between april-may. No problems... Well, my cat did chew my headphones.. But I can't return her. Can I?

#13 of 42 Bryan X

Bryan X

Producer

• 3,469 posts

Posted October 20 2006 - 10:12 AM

More important and useful than the purchase date is the build date which can be found on the back of the machine.

Mine has a build date of March 2006. I bought it in May, I think. No problems.

#14 of 42 JoeyR

JoeyR

Second Unit

• 422 posts

Posted October 20 2006 - 10:50 AM

Bought mine the Sunday morning Best Buy had them online for 5 minutes on a Sunday(think on Dec.16th), so I guess you could actually consider it a release unit.

No real problems, still running

Manufactured 10/31/05

#15 of 42 RudyN

RudyN

Supporting Actor

• 586 posts
  • LocationMundelein, IL

Posted October 20 2006 - 11:31 AM

Purchased my 360 at launch and had to send it back a few weeks ago. Started locking up and then got the 3 lights. Took about 3 weeks to get it back.
My DVD Collection

Gold Trader +21 on the Good Trader List

#16 of 42 Nathan A

Nathan A

Second Unit

• 353 posts

Posted October 21 2006 - 03:34 PM

Bought mine in December at the Best Buy "relaunch".

Sent the first one back within two months. Sent the second one back shortly thereafter; sent the third one back probably a month or so after I got it. So yes, I'm on my fourth. I didn't get any extended warranty; MS paid for all repairs and shipping costs.

I don't remember which problems were with which (truthfully, I had most of the problems with most of the machines), but here's what I encountered, some more frequently than others, but none of them just once or twice:

system lock-ups

the "place this disc in an XBox 360 machine to play" message (how this message even gets displayed when the machine is a 360 is beyond me)

failure to boot game after the system intro sequence

blacks getting very noisy (I mean visually; nothing audible...it would usually be red static within the onscreen black. And yes, everything was connected properly.)

I did once get the flashing red lights, but only once I think.

It won't read my hybrid SACD/CD audio disc (I suspect this is intentional, though).

I feel like I'm forgetting something...

Anyway, I've had some lock-ups with the current machine, but not too many (although I have only been playing it very, very little). I assume that that's just how it's gonna be. Boo to MS. Did they do ANYTHING with the units that were shipped back for repair, or just send them straight to other customers? I only ask because I had the same problems with each of my replacement systems.

On a side note, I went through five DSs before I got one without a dead pixel. Oh, and I usually have to blow on my NES carts and inside the deck for the games to play. Virtual console? How would I blow on the carts and in the deck?

#17 of 42 Brian_Pete

Brian_Pete

Stunt Coordinator

• 112 posts

Posted October 23 2006 - 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan A
Did they do ANYTHING with the units that were shipped back for repair, or just send them straight to other customers? I only ask because I had the same problems with each of my replacement systems.

I was actually wondering the same thing. Both the replacement units I've received had different problems which I'm assuming the previous owner had sent it to them to fix. I'm guessing if the system powers on it's ready to be shipped to another customer whether it works like it should or not.

PS. I purchased a new unit 2 months ago and I'm still waiting to get a unit I can actually use. I'm waiting for my third return box now.

#18 of 42 TonyTone

TonyTone

Supporting Actor

• 728 posts

Posted October 23 2006 - 05:09 AM

Bought mine the last week of December 2005; no issues so far with the console itself, but one of my wireless controllers is starting to act up a bit--every once in a while, when used a bit "vigorously" the left analog stick will act up and function like the left trigger or shoulder button.

#19 of 42 Rodney K

Rodney K

Agent

• 27 posts

Posted October 24 2006 - 07:33 AM

Bought mine the 2nd week of Jan. No problems so far.

#20 of 42 Andy Anderson

Andy Anderson

Second Unit

• 321 posts

Posted October 24 2006 - 10:13 AM

Purchased Dec 2005. 3 red rings this month (Oct 2006), returned to MS for repair, got back after 2 weeks, working fine as of 10/24/06.
XBL Gamertag: Anderpants
My DVDs are cooler than yours.