What's new

Now that Richard Donner has redone Superman II... (1 Viewer)

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
Since Warner Bros. finally agreed to revisiting Superman II, this is what I'd like to see them do with Richard Donner next...

Give us the rest of the deleted scenes from THE GOONIES!

The extra scenes on the current DVD were previously found in a TV cut that at one point ended up on The Disney Channel. These scenes are in the wrong aspect ratio AND one of them (the Stop n' Snack scene) is missing a bit of footage seen in that TV cut.

In addition to these, there are at least four sequences missing from the final cut (but definitely were shot) that I would love to finally see...

- Right after the kids decline to ride up in Troy's bucket, they make Andy an official Goonie with their oath, but they are interrupted by leeches. Data saves the day by shocking them off with a battery.
- When Data uses his slick shoes, he slips himself, requiring Mikey and Mouth to go back out on the log to rescue him.
- When Data faces off against the Fratellis on the deck of One Eyed Willy's boat, more of his gadgets fail, including some baloons/air bladders that get much too large and pop.
- When Stef and Mouth are forced to walk the plank, she offers to help him breathe underwater.

In addition, there could be more material out there, including other scenes with Chunk and Sloth. There may be more bits of footage referencing Brad's claustrophobia as well.

Because the octopus scene and the plank scene with Stef and Mouth ended up out of the movie but were still referenced in the final cut, I've always been of the opinion that The Goonies was a poorly edited film.

Obviously, if all the material I mention above were to go back in, the film would end up at least 2 hours 10 minutes. Back in 1985, I'm sure everyone thought that would be too long for a summer "kiddie" flick. Since The Goonies still enjoys a strong, nostalgic following, wouldn't it be cool to revisit the film without the time constraints?

ZackR

Supporting Actor
The "Disney Channel Version" was what my parents taped off TV when I was a kid and I grew up seeing the film in that incarnation. I'd love to see those scenes make it to a new Special Edition DVD - either as deleted scenes or as an optional extended edition via seamless branching or something like that. :)

Will*B

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Will

I grew up with the theatrical version on an ex-rental VHS - I always thought Data's reference to how "the octopus was very scary" was just him grossly exaggerating the situation to make it sound (even) more impressive to the reporters. I always found this really funny, and was shocked to see the actual octopus on the DVD! (Especially considering how the effects weren't exactly state-of-the-art)...

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter
As the lone American Gen-Xer who hated this movie when it came out and still detests it to this day, I shudder at the thought of more GOONIES...

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
.....you know, in my Mr. Goodbar thread I recently mentioned what I classify as a true "thread fart"......yep....;)

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter
Funny how anything that isn't part of a mutual admiration society is a thread fart/crap. Everyone in agreement makes for no bruised feelings but awful boring conversation...

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
This is obviously a conversation started by a fan of the film and his excitement over a possible DVD re-release that includes additional footage. Posting your negative opinion about "The Goonies" here is just plain old-fashioned U.S. Grade A thread crapping.

Perhaps the best thing to do would be to start your OWN thread in the Movies forum if you want to discuss the FILM.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink

Dissenting opinions are fine and should be encouraged. However, I don't understand how you can criticize unanimous opinions as "boring conversation," only to chime in with a terse post that amounts to no more than "I hate this movie." What conversation could possibly be more boring than a string of "I hate this movie"/"I love this movie" posts with no real discourse to speak of?

As as big a "Goonies" fan as they come, I would love to hear what there is to dislike about it--virtually everyone I know adores it, as you suggest. However, "I hate this movie and don't want to see it again" doesn't give me that information.

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
Well, I am a big fan and I started the thread, and even I will admit that The Goonies is no major artistic triumph. As I mentioned, the editing overall is somewhat shoddy (though the editing in the action sequences has been praised in reviews). And one of the dumbest things in the movie that I probably wouldn't give a pass on if it came out today is that the Spanish on the map translated to English wouldn't rhyme!

Despite the fact that the story is somewhat hard to swallow and there may be plot holes, I still feel very warmly about the characters and the journey in the film. It's about as "feel-good" as they come for me.

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter
Fine, Carl, how about I find the so-called acting to be--across the board--the most amateurish and broad I may have ever enountered in a major studio film. Due to that, I find every character to be excrutiating to endure for 2 hours, espcially Data. It's like watching a live-action cartoon (and not a very good one); even as a kid, I remember being insulted by the yuk-yuk, wink-wink performance style of the film. It seemed very obvious that no one involved with the film took it seriously (and even something comedic and fantastical can be and should be taken seriously by its creators), so why should I?

RomanSohor

Second Unit

you're not the only one. I'm not going to thread-poop. I just was curious to read exactly what other parts were out there.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
More to the point, why should you bother wasting your time and energy (and everyone else's) commenting on a film that by your own words you could barely endure sitting through? Really, I'd like to know. If you dislike "The Goonies" so much then why are you participating in a thread about a possible future DVD release of the film? Are you interested in seeing the missing scenes restored?

jim.vaccaro

Second Unit
I agree with Travis. Any time someone posts a negative opinion of a film in a thread, someone has to accuse that person of "thread-crapping". Seems like we got a bunch of thin-skinned folks around here.

For the record, I like Goonies and own the current DVD...but I have little interest in an extended cut, or Cyndi Lauper videos, etc. :)

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean

Hey, could you register with us other things you don't like? A list maybe? Yeah, that would be great. We'd all like to know. Seriously.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Whether people are thin skinned people or not, coming into a thread thats purpose is to see a longer version of a movie to say that you don't like it is thread crapping. If you don't like it, go post your hatred in the film thread.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
I'm not going to waste this entire thread on the whole "thread crap" thing, so........I'd also like to see a better SE of this film, the last DVD was ok but I thought the transfer was a bit soft, as far as the "longer cut"....well...I never did like the cut scenes (aside from the Stef and Mouth scene on the plank, that was nice) and I think they were left where they belong, on the cutting room floor. But if a two disc SE was made with both cuts on it them I would buy it....I have to admit that I don't personally think it will happen anytime soon but it would be nice.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
You know why threadcrapping is considered annoying to many members and is just considered bad etiquette? It's the modern day internet equivalent of this...
You maybe liked Superman the movie as a kid and you bring your soundtrack album to school (I'm old, been there, done that) and a few people who dig the film gather to discuss the soundtrack, ask how it sounds etc... and then some schmuck comes over uninvited just to say, "Woah! You like SUPERMAN?!?!? MAN, That movie SUCKED!" just to be a smart-ass. Adding NOTHING whatsoever of value to a discussion or even explaining why they feel this way.
Or being on line waiting to see a Star Trek/Star Wars film at a theater and having asses walk by and make wisecracks. It might be amusing when Triumph the insult comic does but that's about it. I remember these type of experiences growing up (being the little geek that I was...) all to well.
I wish I had so much free time that I could bother to read and post in threads for films that I DON"T EVEN LIKE!!!

Bloody hell...

In the movie reviews section, fine, All bets are off. But what on earth does somebody get out of threadcrapping?!?!? Ooooooh, my taste in film is SOOOO superior! Or they are just desperate for attention, be it negative or positive.

Get a life, people.

Just my 2 cents, but what do I know?!?!?

:)

jim.vaccaro

Second Unit

Let's be real here. The whole concept of "thread crapping" is ridiculous. There's nothing sacrosanct about anyone's thread. The "ZOMG you have ruined a thread and insulted me by posting your negative opinion!!!!" schtick is nonsensical and pathetic. People take things way to personally and seriously sometimes on the internet. :rolleyes

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks