What's new

The Beatles on DVD-A (1 Viewer)

Steve Meskell

Second Unit
The Following taken from abbeyrd.best.vwh.net/ (news section)

“AN EXTRAORDINARY NEW BEATLES PROJECT” - Entertainment Weekly

LOVE, is a fascinating reworking of numerous classic Beatles
recordings by the band’s original producer, Sir George Martin and his
son Giles.

LOVE, is also the title of the highly successful Cirque du Soleil show, a co-production with Apple
Corps, featuring the music of The Beatles, currently wowing audiences in Las Vegas.

In creating the music for the show and for the album, George and Giles have created a continuous
“soundscape” - a series of well-known Beatles songs augmented by additional instrumentation and
vocals taken from their vast bank of original multi-track tapes. If you can imagine “Strawberry Fields
Forever” beginning with John’s original demo before going into an early take of the song and then
climaxing in a musical collage including the piano solo from “In My Life” and the harpsichord pattern
from “Piggies” and lots, lots more - or “Get Back”, prefaced by the “Hard Day’s Night” opening guitar
chord, the guitar and drum solos from “The End” and segued into “Glass Onion”, you will begin to
get the picture. But hearing is believing!

The guys have pushed back the boundaries and come up with a brand new work that will add to the
enduring legacy of the band.

The result is an amazing album that not only reinforces the timeless quality of the group’s recordings

- the fans will have fun enjoying the roller coaster experience of the album whilst trying to spot where
all the pieces come from. It is also destined to open up a new legion of fans to The Beatles
experience.
BUY! HERE’S WHY!

STEREO CD will contain 78 minutes of newly mixed and mastered music packaged in a jewel box
with a 28-page booklet including liner notes by George and Giles Martin.

FIRST TIME EVER DELUXE COLLECTOR’S EDITION will include both the stereo CD and a BONUS
AUDIO DVD packaged in a digi-package with O-card. The DVD is audio only and will contain 81
minutes of music in 5.1 surround sound (presented in DTS, Dolby and DVDA).

1-HOUR RADIO SPECIAL to air nationally and will include massive on air promotions.

PRESS / LAUNCH EVENT

- Pre-release playback’s planned for Los Angeles and NYC.
- Global multi-media launch planned for November.
- Major network news entertainment features.
- Satellite feed of EPK on street date forecasted to reach 50 million viewers.
- Major magazine and news publications expected to feature the LOVE story.
MASSIVE NATIONAL TV ADVERTISING planned to run on national network and cable outlets prerelease through December.

TOOLS TV spots, radio spots, project trailer, EPK, press images, 4-song audio sampler, audio sound
bites, radio programming, digital banners, admat.

POP Pre-release banners, posters, post cards, 1x1s and bin cards.

A 26 track release
featuring the following:
Because
Get Back
Glass Onion
I Am The Walrus
Drive My Car/The Word/What You’re
Doing
Blackbird/Yesterday
Strawberry Fields Forever
Within You Without You/Tomorrow
Never Knows
Octopus’s Garden
Lady Madonna
While My Guitar Gently Weeps
A Day In The Life
Hey Jude
All You Need Is Love
Deluxe Edition includes:
Stereo CD - same as above.
Audio DVD - audio only and will contain 81 minutes
of music in 5.1 surround sound presented in 3
different file formats (DTS, Dolby and DVDA).
IN STORES NOVEMBER 21, 2006 *PROVISIONAL STREET DATE (ORDER DUE DATE 10/27/06)
THE BEATLES
LOVE
DELUXE EDITION (CD+AUDIO DVD):
C2KT-79810
CD: C2PC-79808C
FILE UNDER: THE BEATLES
Artwork © 2006 The Cirque Apple Creation Partnership/Apple Corps Ltd.

# A reliable source tells us that people from EMI all over the world were at Abbey Road last week for the upcoming Love soundtrack. George Martin were present and spoke about the project of one CD with an extra dvd-audio (= surround). Possible a 4 track promo. Details will be given by Apple next week.

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
:confused:

Well hell, I'll say something then!

First of all just to get this out of the way: yes, this will be help dvd-audio be more widely recognized but that will be totally relative, since you can't play it on an iPod or a Bose Lifestyle system (the hi-res tracks that is) so most people still won't give a hoot about that format.

Anyway..............

The first time these guys will be heard in hi-res form - very cool. 48/24 or 96/24, doesn't matter to me. And the surround versions will be very interesting to hear. But more importantly, hopefully the remastering was handled carefully i.e. no heavy handed use of compression or overboosted highs like the nasty sounding "1" album.

As far as the mash-up aspect - sounds like a neato idea to me! I've heard the snippets on the Cirque du Soliel site and liked them. I'm not a Beatles purist or whatever and this doesn't bother me in the least. For me good remixes are usually enjoyable to hear and have made me appreicate the original song even more (and sometimes the remix is better).

I only have four Beatles albums, Abbey Road, Sgt. Peppers, "1" and the white album, but I will be buying this. Heck, if this was just a CD I would still buy it.

Steve Meskell

Second Unit
Here is a updated song list

The “LOVE” CD and DVD track listing is:

1. Because
2. Get Back
3. Glass Onion
4. Eleanor Rigby
Julia (Transition)
5. I Am The Walrus
6. I Want To Hold Your Hand
7. Drive My Car/The Word/What You’re Doing
8. Gnik Nus
9. Something
Blue Jay Way (Transition)
10. Being For The Benefit of Mr. Kite!/I Want You
(She’s So Heavy)/Helter Skelter
11. Help!
12. Blackbird/Yesterday
13. Strawberry Fields Forever
14. Within You Without You/Tomorrow Never Knows
15. Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds
16. Octopus’s Garden
17. Lady Madonna
18. Here Comes The Sun
The Inner Light (Transition)
19. Come Together/Dear Prudence
Cry Baby Cry (Transition)
20. Revolution
21. Back In The U.S.S.R.
22. While My Guitar Gently Weeps
23. A Day In The Life
24. Hey Jude
25. Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band (Reprise)
26. All You Need Is Love

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
I am very much looking forward to this release.

The idea of mash-ups of classic Beatles material (is there any other kind????) seems kind of cool. Quite frankly, I would have bought this even w/o a DVD-A layer, just to get the 5.1 mix.

Its been a while since I was jazzed about an upcoming DVD-A release.

Brian

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
I can't wait for this release...Let it Be...Naked meant nothing to me, but this is one I'm really looking forward to.

I'm wondering what song those extra three minutes on the DVD-A will be.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I'll probably get this for the curiosity factor. I'm more of a pre-Sgt. Pepper Beatle fan, and really don't care for Cirque De solie at all, but I love surround music, and the idea of "I Am the Walrus" in 5.1 is too intriguing to pass up.

I wonder if it will be audio mash-up transitions, as opposed to actual songs? Apparantly they are using alternate takes as well as masters for this, it makes sense that there is untitled music collages that could be made from unreleased music. Maybe??

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Having seen the show, perhaps I can put some things in perspective...

First, the sound is incredible, and designed for a 360-degree auditorium with 2000+ seats, each with three internal speakers, and another 300+ speakers in strategic locations under and above the stage. That is 6,341 total speakers in a 25.5 configuration (as opposed to mere 5.1). The music was taken by George Martin and his son Giles from the original master tapes and mastered to 32 tracks, when available.

There are over over 130 songs in the show, in full and in part, alone and combined, in a mix supervised entirely by George Martin and his son Giles, and blessed by the surviving Beatles and their widows. I Want You (She's So Heavy) is mixed with Helter Skelter. Tomorrow Never Knows is mixed with Within You, Without You. Sgt. Peppers is mixed with too many songs to mention. I Want To Hold Your Hand comes complete with screaming girls from all directions (remember, this was a 25.5 setup--I have never heard anything like this). Revolution #9 has a seque to Revolution, at near-concert volumes. Apart from the the opening number (Get Back) the most stunning arrangement was George Harrison on guitar playing his demo of While My Guitar Gently Weeps with a new orchestra track composed by George Martin on commission of Olivia Harrison. The demo is on one of the Anthology discs.

These were the songs I noted from the ~90 minute show, back in June:

- Incidental music (very elevator)
- Studio chatter (think Return of Chef--assembled dialogue)
- Because - a capella
- Big Note from Day in the Life
- Hard Days Night - Opening Guitar Chord
- Mash: Ringo's Drum Solo interleaved with guitar of Get Back
- Get Back!
- Glass Onion (instrumentals)
- Eleanor Rigby
- Studio chatter
- Julia? (backwards)
- I am the Walrus (incredible in 25.5!!!)
- Ed Sullivan..."Ladies and Gentlemen, THE BEATLES!"
- I Want to Hold Your Hand (screaming recorded girls in full surround)
- Mash: Drive My Car (with Savoy Truffle sax? What You're Doing...The Word...Magical Mystery Tour)
- Shadow Theater with the boys
- Sitar from Within You, Without You.
- Backwards Harrison...Sun King
- Something
- Mash: Blue Jay Way / Nowhere Man leading to...
- For the Benefit of Mr. Kite...mashed with guitar conclusion to I Want You (She's So Heavy) and Helter Skelter
- Help!
- Blackbird (sort of...)
- Yesterday
- Studio Outtakes: Fool on the Hill, Lady Madonna, Hey Jude
- Strawberry Fields Forever (remix)
- Mash: Sgt Pepper's, Penny Lane, Piggies, Hello Goodbye
- Mash: Tomorrow Never Knows / Within You, Without You
- (Amazing subsonics)
- A very slow synth...mixed with Sgt. Pepper horns...with a segue to
Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds
- Mash: Octopus' Garden with Goodnight and Yellow Submarine
- Here Comes the Sun King intro
- Lady Madonna (mixed at one point with Hey Bulldog)
- Here Comes the Sun / Within You, Without You
- Come Together mixed with Dear Prudence
- Revolution #9 ("Can you take me back where I came from...") followed by REVOLUTION! (no, not the acoustic one)
- Back in the USSR
- While My Guitar Gently Weeps (demo with guitar and new G. Martin orchestral track)
- A Day in the Life (awesome in 25.5)
Hey Jude, with cast-encouraged singalong
- Sgt. Pepper's reprise
- All you need is Love

And I missed a few!

I can not stress how original and unique these mixes and mashups are. It really was name-that-tune nirvana for this Beatles freak. :)

- Steve

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I'm very intrigued by this release.

Hopefully if it's successful, it will propel the remastering of the original albums onto a hi-fi source (whether it be DVD-A, SACD or whatever). Heck, I'll take careful remastering on CD right now!

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
According to some of the documents presented at the Apple Corp. vs. Apple Inc. lawsuit, the catalog is being remastered...most likely for download, but possibly for more...

"Looks like I'll have to buy the White Album again."

- Steve

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
For the price of a simple registration (email address) you can preview four tracks from the release at The Beatles website:

http://thebeatles.com/

Tracks include:

- Strawberry Fields Forever
- Octopus' Garden
- Lady Madonna
- While My Guitar Gently Weeps

It is up for preorder at Amazon on both CD and CD/DVD configurations.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
My Tivo guide shows that Cirque du Soleil is on an upcoming episode of Leno, doing stuff from Love.

Sorry, I do not have the exact day handy.

Brian

Josh Simpson

Supporting Actor

I couldn't agree more with this.

I'm pumped about this release, and will get it as soon as I can, but I just know it will make me pine for the remastered albums. Hopefully we'll get them sooner rather than later, and hopefully not just for download, but actual releases. I'm sure we'll get them.

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
"Its been a while since I was jazzed about an upcoming DVD-A release."

Me too, although I'm pretty interested in the Doors "Perception" box set. :D

Paul_Nyman

Second Unit
Tonight Jay Leno has a performance of the LOVE cast. Curious how the segment will turn out in such a small studio space! Tune in tonight and check it out.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member

This should be sitting on my HDTivo as we speak. My local NBC affiliate does HD and DD 5.1.....USUALLY.

Man I hope they were not asleep at the switch last night....this could be very cool.

Brian

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I found LOVE!

Alas, it is only the stereo version. But it will do nicely until Tuesday, when the 5.1 version is released.

What did y'all think of the performance on Leno? Of course it was at the very end of the show. All they could really show was the dancing and sample the music. I wish they had brought along the puppeteers with the rows of little yellow rain boots for Lady Madonna.

Here are some fascinating articles on the creation of the show and the music:

http://livedesignonline.com/mag/love_need/
http://livedesignonline.com/mag/sound_love/

Check out the equipment list!

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
Well, I will reserve judgement until I hear the DVD-A, but the performance on Leno was nothing to write home about.

A bunch of dancers in 60's garb doing gymnastics to a few tracks (Lady Madonna, Drive My Car).

Very un-impressive.

Brian

Ray Chuang

Screenwriter

I heard the entire album online and definitely going to get the two-disc deluxe edition on November 21, 2006. :emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks