What's new

Match Game on DVD (1 Viewer)

Roger_S

Stunt Coordinator
I've seen prices so far ranging from just under $20 to about $31. I'm wondering what's on that...full episodes? Hopefully. I also probably don't need it as I also get GSN but stuff like that's never stopped me before. I hope they include the episodes that featured Kirstie Alley as a contestant before she began her acting career.

David Levine

Supporting Actor

It's full episodes - I can't remember off hand how many (~30 comes to mind - I'll check on Monday). It also has a lengthy interview with Brett and she does intros. I need to look at the box for other features, I did it about a month ago...

And yeah, the Kirstie Alley episode is on there.

Jeff#

Screenwriter
I've seen some of the 1960s version of Match Game, and it was nothing compared to the greatness that was the 1973 to 1982 version. That's because Gene Rayburn, the panelists, and the writers got to let lose with the humor that made Version # 2 the memorable classic it's become. Both the daytime and evening versions (Match Game PM) rank as the greatest game show of all time. (I never liked Jeopardy or Wheel of Fortune).

And a great format became even better in April 1978 (several weeks before Richard Dawson, who started hosting Family Feud in 1976, left Match Game 78 and Match Game PM) when they introduced the Star Wheel. That was done to ensure that during the Super Match round that the winning contestants could no longer have the advantage of picking clever Richard more than anyone else. ;) It was also around that time when the rest of the set was re-designed, and it really did look a lot better.

I used to watch Match Game when I was a kid and again on Game Show when I used to subscribe to that and a number of other channels. But if you're sure these shows are complete, I'm definitely buying them!! 30 episodes would indeed be a bargain for $20 to $31, and could wind up costing less than $1 per show. :cool:

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve

David, thanks for the info. Was Charles Nelson Reilly invited to participate on this set?

The later Dawson episodes can be painful to watch at times as he was clearly not a happy camper at that point, but on the whole this is one of the more entertaining shows around.

Now, if someone will put out an extensive "What's My Line" collection we'll be set.

David Levine

Supporting Actor

I think he was, but might've had to decline due to other commitments.

But I'm not really sure. Fremantle produced the special features themselves. We didn't create them like we do for a lot of our other shows.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
I do hope this sells well. Maybe we'll get a Best of Password next with that ABC-era episode GSN recently found.

FrancisP

Screenwriter
I definately will be buying this. Hopefully this is a start of an trend. Would love to see Let's Make A Deal on dvd as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks