Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Match Game on DVD

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
92 replies to this topic

#21 of 93 OFFLINE   Jim*F

Jim*F

Stunt Coordinator

• 115 posts

Posted October 15 2006 - 07:32 AM

Wow! I'm definitely buying this! And I agree with FrancisP that it would be wonderful if this is just the first set of classic game shows on DVD!

#22 of 93 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Who do we think I am?

• 16,505 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted October 15 2006 - 08:04 AM

what would that be
facebook.com/whotony

#23 of 93 OFFLINE   Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 15,105 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted October 15 2006 - 08:19 AM

http://www.imdb.com/...366/plotsummary

#24 of 93 OFFLINE   Carlos Garcia

Carlos Garcia

Screenwriter

• 1,065 posts

Posted October 15 2006 - 08:26 AM

David, where did you see that mentioned? I couldn't find it mentioned either on the TVShows on DVD site, nor the Amazon listing.
I'm a classic TV fan. Widescreen? What's that?

#25 of 93 OFFLINE   David Levine

David Levine

Supporting Actor

• 502 posts

Posted October 15 2006 - 08:28 AM

I saw it mentioned when I was designing the packaging for the set. Posted Image

#26 of 93 OFFLINE   Nick=Ma

Nick=Ma

Stunt Coordinator

• 68 posts

Posted October 15 2006 - 09:14 AM

DeepDiscountDVD mentions it as well.

#27 of 93 OFFLINE   Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek

Screenwriter

• 2,272 posts

Posted October 15 2006 - 12:48 PM

Has the pilot be processed with LiveFeed or is it just the raw kine?

#28 of 93 OFFLINE   David Rain

David Rain

Screenwriter

• 1,110 posts

Posted October 15 2006 - 01:30 PM

Does anyone know if these are episoes from both the daytime and primetime versions ? I'm guessing yes since I think Kirstie was on the PM version. I'm thrilled to see classic game shows coming out like this. Perhaps if this does well they will release future box sets of more select episodes.
Still Turning the Beat Around at Our Cool New Pad

Retro Remixes

#29 of 93 OFFLINE   imadkhuri

imadkhuri

Extra

• 17 posts

Posted October 15 2006 - 02:46 PM

Kirstie Alley was on the daily syndicated version (1979-1982), which was just called "Match Game". Imad

#30 of 93 OFFLINE   MatthewA

MatthewA

Lead Actor

• 6,594 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted October 15 2006 - 03:06 PM

What is LiveFeed?

Enough is enough, Disney. No more evasions or excuses. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray along with the uncut version of Bedknobs and Broomsticks on Blu-ray. I am going to boycott The Walt Disney Company until then. And while you're at it, PLEASE stop dropping DVD/laserdisc extras from Blu-ray releases of other films.

#31 of 93 OFFLINE   Jeff#

Jeff#

Screenwriter

• 1,942 posts

Posted October 15 2006 - 04:18 PM

She was only on Match Game for one week, and just a few years before she even got into acting. I remember Kirstie Alley went on Password Plus in 1980, and when Allen Ludden asked what she did she said she was in college and studying fashion design. I'm not a fan of hers, but I thought that was interesting to see her years before Cheers. As for the older, New York-based "The Match Game" (only the original had "The" in the name), back in the 1980s I used to collect old TV GUIDEs from the past. One of them was from 1962, and Match Game was listed as being in color even then. What's surprising is that NBC deleted most of those old tapes. Only 11 shows survive (I've seen one or two of them -- very different format from the 1970s Match Game), and those are crappy-looking B & W kinescopes. CBS did the same thing with "What's My Line", which like Password and To Tell the Truth was shot on black & white (and later color) videotape. Most Password tapes were preserved at least. With To Tell the Truth though, the original B & W tapes from the daytime version are intact because Game Show Network played those for a while. It's the prime time edition from that same time period that are kinescopes. The second, more famous version of Match Game was originally on CBS on weekday mornings from 1973 to early 1979, and moved to syndicated daytime that fall. "Match Game PM" started in 1975, and was always syndicated. Both went to 1982.

#32 of 93 OFFLINE   Jay Pennington

Jay Pennington

Screenwriter

• 1,189 posts

Posted October 15 2006 - 05:28 PM

I imagine it's the NTSC equivalent of VidFire, which was developed by the Doctor Who Restoration Team:

http://www.purplevil....te/vidfire.htm

In short, it's a process that analyzes kinescope frames and finds a way to reproduce the original interlaced video fields, making it look like video again, rather than a film recording of a video screen.
-Jay

#33 of 93 OFFLINE   Jeff#

Jeff#

Screenwriter

• 1,942 posts

Posted October 15 2006 - 08:36 PM

Livefeed can't transform a black & white kinescope back into its original color videotaped form, so don't expect that process to be used here.

#34 of 93 OFFLINE   David Levine

David Levine

Supporting Actor

• 502 posts

Posted October 16 2006 - 03:15 AM

30 Episodes. Ranging from 1973 to 1982 with most falling in the 70s. Starts off with the 1973 pilot with Richard Dawson, Anita Gillette, Jack Klugman, Michael Landon, Vicki Lawrence and Jo Ann Pflug. Features include: - Best Moments of Match Game - hosted by Brett Somers - A Tribute to Gene Rayburn - Photo Galley - Exclusive interview with Brett Somers - Original 1962 Pilot of "The Match Game"

#35 of 93 OFFLINE   Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek

Screenwriter

• 2,272 posts

Posted October 16 2006 - 04:29 AM

Who cares if its not color? The goal is to recreate the original look of being captured on an electric camera which those kines sadly lack.

#36 of 93 OFFLINE   JeffWld

JeffWld

Stunt Coordinator

• 235 posts

Posted October 16 2006 - 06:31 AM

That has nothing to do with it. Livefeed would still produce a more authentic product in this situation.

#37 of 93 OFFLINE   Jeff-Wooten

Jeff-Wooten

Stunt Coordinator

• 113 posts

Posted October 16 2006 - 09:49 AM

Of all the tv shows being released on dvd between now and the end of the year, this title is probably the biggest surprise--and I've never been more happy to be surprised!!! "The Price is Right" aside, this version of "Match Game" is probably my favorite game show of all time. I fondly remember pretending to be sick so I could stay home from school and watch "TPIR", "Match Game," and "Tattle Tales." If fact, the day this set is released, I think I'll make a fake-sick call into work. However, I have to admit I wasn't as big a fan of the the star wheel. (I always worried if I was a contest on the show, it would land on Patty Deutsch and I'd win bupkis.) Brett Somers hosting a "Best Of" featurette will probably feature the "My, you have nice nipples" blooper, but I hope the set contains this full episode since I've never seen it in its entirety. (My other favorite gaffe is the ep where the grandmotherly contestant tells Gene: "My name is Mary so-and-so, I live in Encino, and I'm retarded, oops, I mean retired.") I cannot recall, but wasn't Match Game the series they would shoot some shows in the afternoon, break for a cocktail hour (to get the panelists good and liquored up), and then film again that evening, which led to some rowdier-than-usual behavior?

#38 of 93 OFFLINE   David Levine

David Levine

Supporting Actor

• 502 posts

Posted October 16 2006 - 09:56 AM

They'd be drinking during the show at times. And smoking. 1 of the episodes has Richard making some kind of weird cigarette holder.

#39 of 93 OFFLINE   Jeff#

Jeff#

Screenwriter

• 1,942 posts

Posted October 16 2006 - 01:52 PM

I don't have a problem with black & white, if a show is produced in black & white. I was merely pointing out that The Match Game on NBC from 1962 to 1969 was always broadcast in color. However, since this is the only surviving copy I'll make an exception. Posted Image I'm buying this set for the rest of the series anyway. The old Match Game show from the 60s is just an added bonus.

It will be interesting to see how this new Livefeed process works, as it's already been used on another upcoming release: five 1956 and 57 episodes of The Ed Sullivan Show featuring Elvis Presley.

#40 of 93 OFFLINE   Charles Ellis

Charles Ellis

Screenwriter

• 1,924 posts

Posted October 16 2006 - 02:16 PM

OK on this release, but I'd prefer a release of one of the longest-running (and greatest!) game shows ever: What's My Line?- a show which shouldbe revived!
Bring "The continuing story of PEYTON PLACE" home on DVD: the one that started it all- from Dallas and Dynasty to Desperate Housewives and Gossip Girl!!! Starting this May, see the legendary saga starring Mia Farrow, Ryan O'Neal, Barbara Parkins, and Oscar-winner Dorothy Malone on DVD thru...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users