What's new

SNL Season 1 on 12/5/06 (and season sets in general) (1 Viewer)

RoyM

Stunt Coordinator
Wow, that is HUGE news! Weird that there has been no mention of this anywhere else. Is it some kind of CH Club exclusive? Or does CH have the scoop on some announcement of this release?

In either case, I'm a member of CH and will be putting an order in for this as soon as I can be sure it isn't some snafu.

Kevin Martinez

Second Unit
If They have to snip some Musical acts here and there, that wouldn't be unfortunate at all (That's par for the course for all variety shows whn it comes to DVD), I just hope this isn't some weird mistake.

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
Holy crap!
htf_images_smilies_banana.gif
I'm hoping this isn't a CH exclusive (although I think that it might make more sense). I'm dying for more classic-era SNL so this is a must.

Doesn't look like there are any extras, but that doesn't matter to me. This is one of the few shows I wouldn't feel a need to purchase every single season of, so as long as the classics get out there, I'm satisfied.

ETA: From the description:

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew Radke
Someone pinch me because I MUST be dreaming. I thought it would never happen, especially considering it would be a music rights nightmare. It's odd how we're hearing about this now, because as stated above, this IS a big deal.

But I'll sit with baited breath until we know more about this release. There are questions that need to be answered. Is this a Columbia House exclusive? Will subsequent seasons follow?

I hope to god this is the real deal because I can't begin to express how long I've wanted complete season sets of SNL on DVD. This news is too good to be true.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Wow. Been waiting for this for a long time. Still, I'll believe it when we have confirmation.

Kevin Martinez

Second Unit

Ok, NOW there's room for suspicion. And for 69.95? Cmon The 5-6 episode SCTV sets were $100 apiece and even THOSE didn't retain all of the music

Zoe

Auditioning
Real Name
Zoe Dachs

I'm searching for a loophole, and I can't find one. They're explicitly promising EVERYTHING. I think it's for real.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
I don't want seasons of the entire SNL run, but I'm definitely on board for the full run of the originial Not Ready For Primetime Players.
htf_images_smilies_rock.gif

I just hope this isn't a Columbia House exclusive.

Jeff#

Screenwriter
It's for real all right, and this is incredible news to me!

Columbia House is one of the oldest and most reliable entertainment media distributors in the world, having been around for half a century.

I used to subscribe to their GUNSMOKE VHS tape collection in the early 1990s and I purchased a number of Wild Wild West TV episodes on DVDs a few years ago. With the recent death of singer Billy Preston (SNL's very first musical guest), it must have been even easier. The premiere show with George Carlin is one of a number of first, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th season SNL shows to be re-broadcast in their 66 minute entirety in recent years.

This is the longest-running sketch comedy series in TV history and it's still going. The fact that Lorne Michaels was recently able to get music clearance from the first season (1975-1976) isn't an issue because he did it before with the special DVD musical guest compilations he put together a few years ago.

I already have 8 of the 1975-76 season SNL shows on my own DVDs, which I recorded off-air from NBC last year and earlier this year. Unfortunately, NBC All Night these days primarily airs episodes from recent years in the 1:01 to 2:30 AM time slot (airing after the new 2006 episodes), and calls them "Classic" Saturday Night Live shows. No SNL in my still small collection is newer than 1998 (once Norm McDonald was fired from Weekend Update). Although I never stopped watching this show, because SNL still has its moments.

Will I buy these season sets from the early years (and beyond)? Absolutely! And this one might be complete -- 24 hours of material on 8 discs with no commercials means everything is there....or is it? 24 shows makes the premiere season the one with the most episodes in SNL history (20 has been the standard for many years), however I suspect this collection will only have 23. NBC persuaded Lorne Michaels to do two additional episodes in July 1976. The next-to-last show featured comedianne Louise Lasser, who was drunk that night! I don't know the details, but from what little I read about it the show was regarded as a disaster. Lorne has vowed to never release that one, and it would be a shame to not include it in this set. I've seen most of the episodes of SNL from that season, but not that one. I was too young to stay up that late in the 1970s. :)

Bryan Krantz

Stunt Coordinator
I don't know about SNL season sets. I have watched since the seventies and in syndication and found that I remember a few funny sketches and was surprised at the amount of "drek" in episodes from all seasons (admittedly, some years are worse than others). I would rather be able to download sketches a'la carte from the network and burn my own dvds of what I want.

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
I would have been willing to accept the hour long edited versions if that's all that had been made available. In a way that wouldn't have been so bad because even the best SNL eps need editing to cut the fat. But if these are indeed unedited then that's fabulous. The first season started off rather slow quality-wise but thankfully picked up steam with regard to the sketches and musical guests - which have always been a mixed bag at best.

"You know, we all can't be brainy like Fern here" -
Gilda Rander adlibbing to Candice Bergen after an infamous dialogue slip-up.

Jeff#

Screenwriter
At least a dozen episodes of the original era of SNL (1975 to early 1980) were released on VHS....but they were often missing the musical guests. Don't forget that Belushi & Aykroyd left in the show in the spring of 1979 to concentrate on their movie careers. But John first returned as a guest in March 1980 for SNL's 100th show. (He re-appeared in a non-speaking cameo in October 1981, when Donald Pleasance hosted). The original Saturday Night Live ended after 106 episodes in May 1980.

A complete 90 minute SNL show both now and back then is usually 66 minutes each without commercials.

Correction on what I said earlier: Someone in Canada told me that the July 1976 episode with Louise Lasser is available on their Global Network, but it's an edited 60 minute version. I'm in the USA and don't get Global, so I've never seen that particular one here.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks