• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#1 of 70 Joe*A

Joe*A

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted October 11 2006 - 05:09 AM

Have any of you loved a show when you were younger only to be disappointed after recently buying and watching the 1st season of that show? It seemed to have lost that magic. As a result, you are not planning on buying future seasons.

The shows I have to put on my list are:

- That Girl: this show just isn't funny (I watched the first 5 episodes and I'm dreading the remaining 20 odd episodes). And what's with that annoying laugh track - I have no problem with the laugh track coming from a studio audience such as All in the Family, but that canned laugh, yuck. The episode of when Maude visited to care for the flu stricken Bunkers was hilarious partly because a member of the studio audience and her hysterical laugh - check it out.

- Gilligan's Island: I couldn't get past the 3rd episode. The show is strictly for children under 12.

- Jonny Quest: I was surprised about this one too. I thought JQ was the best animated series from the 60s because it's attempt at 'realism'. I wish I never bought the show and spoil my childhood memories of the show. Guess shows like Batman Animated got me spoiled. Note that this set was a complete series set.

Any series you guys feel have lost that charm over the years and stopped collecting subsequent season sets?

Joe

#2 of 70 Bob Hug

Bob Hug

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,760 posts

Posted October 11 2006 - 07:12 AM

Welcome Back Kotter: I bought Warner's "Television Favorites" 6 episode DVD . . . I found the writing for "the Sweathogs" to be generally weak and repetitious. The show just doesn't have the appeal for me now that it did 30 years ago. I won't be buying season sets should Warner decide to release them.

#3 of 70 Doug^Ch

Doug^Ch

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted October 11 2006 - 07:55 AM

This is kind of a dangerous thread, because people will invariably come here and find a favorite show of theirs listed as someone's show that no longer holds up for them, and they will feel bad. Television is subjective; for everyone who thinks That Girl and Welcome back Kotter no longer work for them, there is bound to be someone who thinks it is their Magnus Opus.

#4 of 70 AnthonyC

AnthonyC

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,341 posts

Posted October 11 2006 - 08:03 AM

The only series I've bought where I haven't been compelled to purchase the remaining releases...The Flintstones. Don't get me wrong; every once in a while I want to watch an episode and it's good to have a bunch to choose from but it's just not a show that I can watch often without getting tired of it.

Same goes for Scooby-Doo and The Jetsons, although they haven't had any follow-ups AFAIK.

#5 of 70 FranklinC

FranklinC

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted October 11 2006 - 08:25 AM

Sledgehammer! seemed a lot funnier when I was 13 years old. I bought both season sets for really cheap but have been able to get through only 5 or 6 episodes.

#6 of 70 LindseyS

LindseyS

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted October 11 2006 - 08:31 AM

Punky Brewster. I remember watching the reruns in middle school, and I loved it at like, 10. I got the first season two years ago, and I don't think I made it past the first disc. But as for a show that actually was far better than I remembered, I'd definitely say Doogie Howser.

#7 of 70 Stan

Stan

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,926 posts

Posted October 11 2006 - 08:37 AM

I loved Charlie's Angels when it first aired. Recently had cable installed after a two year break and watched a few episodes the past few weeks.

Really shocked as to how bad they are. Corny, cliched, so much of the filming done on phony looking sets, etc. Amazing how much I enjoyed this as a teen. I was about to start buying these, but really glad I held off and didn't buy.

I also thought Johnny Quest was great, but it seems like I've probably outgrown it at this time, may be best to avoid this and keep my old memories as Joepepe says.

A little off topic, but recently bought "What's Up Doc". Have always enjoyed it, but haven't seen it in about ten years. Now it's just painful to watch. All the timing for every joke, punchline or sight gag just seemed "off". Maybe it's a movie meant for a crowd, not a quiet home theater setting, but it just seems to have lost its magic.
Stan

#8 of 70 MatthewA

MatthewA

Advanced Member

• 5,789 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted October 11 2006 - 09:43 AM

I guess I'm the lucky one; I didn't have a problem watching any of the shows I bought on DVD.

#9 of 70 MichelleB

MichelleB

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted October 11 2006 - 11:53 AM

I was a big Lois & Clark fan when I was younger so I bought the First Season on dvd when it came out. I barely watched one episode from the set. I gave it away to someone that I knew would appreciate it. I don't know, maybe I didn't give it enough of a chance...who knows maybe i'll decide to get it again one day, because I remember really liking the show...
Shows I Want on to see on DVD:
- Who's the Boss? Seasons 2-8
- Law & Order: SVU Season 9
- The Nanny Seasons 4-6
- Taxi Seasons 4-5

#10 of 70 Ollie

Ollie

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted October 11 2006 - 12:31 PM

Hazel - Absolutely LOVED it in re-runs as a child. Bought Season 1, and it barely held my attention. The good news is my kids 8 and 10 LOVE it, so it was worth the purchase.

That Girl - Loved it as a child. I find it "okay" as an adult. A few of the episodes are cute, and it does hold my attention better than Hazel, but I'm far from loving it. Once again though, my kids love it.

Jetsons - Lived for it as a kid. Found it unwatchable as an adult, and I STILL like cartoons. Fortunately with this one I Netflixed it before purchasing, so I didn't lose any money on it.

LaVerne & Shirley - another one I NETFLIXED first. The humor just didn't hold up for me 20+ years later.

#11 of 70 TravisR

TravisR

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 20,732 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted October 11 2006 - 12:35 PM

Nearly all the cartoons that I watched when I was young, I look back at and see they were terrible. The Transformers is the best example of this.

Sorry, Transformer fans. Posted Image

#12 of 70 JohnMor

JohnMor

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,800 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted October 11 2006 - 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie
Hazel - Absolutely LOVED it in re-runs as a child. Bought Season 1, and it barely held my attention. The good news is my kids 8 and 10 LOVE it, so it was worth the purchase.

That Girl - Loved it as a child. I find it "okay" as an adult. A few of the episodes are cute, and it does hold my attention better than Hazel, but I'm far from loving it. Once again though, my kids love it.

LaVerne & Shirley - another one I NETFLIXED first. The humor just didn't hold up for me 20+ years later.

Yep, same with me on all three counts. Sadly, I don't have kids to watch them, and my 2 birds seem to care for them even less than I do.Posted Image Of course, I'm almost never as fond of first seasons as I am of later ones, but I hesitate to keep buying future Hazel and That Girl seasons just in the hopes that I'll like them better. L&S I won't buy again, even if they put out additional seasons. Loved the early eps as a kid, but they made me cringe when I got the dvds. I'll probably buy the 2nd season of TG, and then we'll see if I'll continue.

Surprisingly, I was amazed at how much better I like Leave It To Beaver now than when I was a kid. But that's another thread, I suppose.

#13 of 70 Will_B

Will_B

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 4,733 posts

Posted October 11 2006 - 02:24 PM

Forever Knight. Just doesn't hold up after the better production values of Buffy. But it was funny to see how the sidekick's name -- Schmucky, or Flemy, Scummy (?) -- I forget now -- didn't register as as much of an insult then as it does now.

To a lesser extent, the experience of accidentally catching an episode of Red Dwarf at 1am on public tv was a more enjoyable experience than actually arranging to watch it on purpose. Though it is still very good.

Found it... his name was "Schanke", pronounced "Skanky" as "Skanky Ho".
"Scientists are saying the future is going to be far more futuristic than they originally predicted." -Krysta Now

#14 of 70 Bert Greene

Bert Greene

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted October 11 2006 - 03:22 PM

Hasn't been a problem with me; Can't cite a single case of disappointment. If anything, it's the opposite. Seeing some of these old shows without chopped-up prints, abrasive commercials, pop-ups, etc., has led me to actually appreciate them all the more. This goes not only for shows I've always favored, but also items I've historically regarded as take-it-or-leave-it. It seems like I'm always pleasantly surprised.

#15 of 70 Bryan Krantz

Bryan Krantz

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted October 11 2006 - 04:17 PM

The shows I have bought I have watched from start to finish, and in many cases more than once. I am somewhat of a discerning buyer though and haven't bought any sets on a whim. For instance, I own all the "Gilligan's Island" sets and still enjoy them, but I watched it in syndication so never really fell out of love with the show and knew what I was getting when I bought it. While considering this topic though, I was given a set as a gift "Fantastic Four: the Complete Animated Series" that I have only watched a few episodes. The giver believed it to be a collection of the older, more kirby-esque Fantastic Four of the 60s and we were both disappointed. There certainly is an element of risk in picking up a series that one hasn't seen since childhood. I would have bought a "Monkees" season set if I hadn't seen it on TVLand a few years back and realizing that I was no longer entertained by it.

#16 of 70 Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,252 posts

Posted October 11 2006 - 06:45 PM

Party of 5 seemed way more boring than when it originally aired; sorry, all!!

#17 of 70 David Von Pein

David Von Pein

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,736 posts

Posted October 11 2006 - 06:50 PM

How many of these do you remember?........

http://objflicks.com...Black&White.htm

#18 of 70 Venice-H

Venice-H

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted October 12 2006 - 12:33 AM

I didn't bother buying the DVD sets, but The A-Team was one of my favorite shows when I was young and (more) foolish. I've caught some reruns off and on over the years, and the magic was definitely gone.

Of the DVDs I actually have, all of those have held up. Part of the reason is that I have tended to favor shows with very short runs that didn't have time to morph into shadows of their former selves.

#19 of 70 Joe*A

Joe*A

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted October 12 2006 - 12:39 AM

For those fans of That Girl - me included, I may have been a little harsh in my criticism of the show (see above). Mind you, it's not great comedy. I seldom found myself laughing. But what the show does have is lots of charm and maybe I'll probably continue watching the episodes and see if it grows on me again - it did once. Maybe the end of season 1 will force me to rethink purchasing Season 2 because I just need to know what happens to .... That Girl.

Great comments from you people - I particularly liked the quote by BertGreene in siting that watching these shows again without commercial breaks is the way to go - the episodes become more fluid from start to finish.

Joe

#20 of 70 michael_ks

michael_ks

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,295 posts

Posted October 12 2006 - 01:07 AM

Quote:
How many of these do you remember?........

http://objflicks.com...Black&White.htm

"I want to go back to Black and White...where everything came out alright". I thoroughly enjoyed watching this, eventhough I have little to no memory of most of the shows cited. I did notice a couple of errors. "Sky King" was not broadcast from '51-'62 and it was "Tales of Wells Fargo", not "Wells Fargo Days". Older boomers may be able to pick up other minor mistakes. Still, what a great trip down memory lane...

I agree with Bert. Having these shows uncut, commercial free and in most cases, with superior image transfer, the shows from the 50's and 60's look and feel better than ever. I've made so many blind buys: "Have Gun Will Travel", "Rawhide", "Danger Man", "The Saint" to name a few--and I've been thoroughly satisfied with all of them. If there's one set that I went one season too many on, it's "Adventures of Superman" S3/4. I should have quit with the B&W shows.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Forum Nav Content I Follow