-

Photo
- - - - -

PS3 reviews... looking forward to some hands-on comments...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
286 replies to this topic

#1 of 287 DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet

Lead Actor

• 8,805 posts

Posted October 10 2006 - 03:10 PM

as soon as any of you get a hold of it, please, share your impressions with the rest of us! Obviously, your evaluations of the movie-playback functionality/performance is key.

-dave Posted Image
Be an Original Aspect Ratio Advocate

Supporter of 1080p24 video and lossless 24 bit audio.

#2 of 287 Dave_BG

Dave_BG

Auditioning

• 6 posts

Posted October 11 2006 - 02:08 AM

I have something here:
I dont know if this can be called a review, or more like a comparison... but i hope it may help.

http://www.gamepro.c....es/83408.shtml

#3 of 287 Sean Laughter

Sean Laughter

Screenwriter

• 1,385 posts

Posted October 11 2006 - 05:27 AM

Just a pre-impression, but I'm dissapointed that the only official remote control for the thing is a Bluetooth remote. Makes me have to use another remote control rather than programming codes into my current universal remote.

#4 of 287 Brian Osborne

Brian Osborne

Stunt Coordinator

• 215 posts

Posted October 31 2006 - 12:22 AM

I hadn't seen the remote thing. not that it'll make a difference to me, but that is a bummer. It wont be long though before someone comes up with a converter for it....
Keaton always said, "I don't believe in God, but I'm afraid of him." Well I believe in God, and the only thing that scares me is Keyser Soze.

My Equipment

Pics - Theater in progress

#5 of 287 Seth=L

Seth=L

Screenwriter

• 1,313 posts

Posted October 31 2006 - 04:16 AM

I think that as Bluetooth gets bigger, we will start to see more home audio video components drop IR and go for bluetooth. Maybe we will see Harmony remotes with all three remote types, IR, RF, and Bluetooth.Posted Image

#6 of 287 ppltd

ppltd

Producer

• 3,044 posts

Posted October 31 2006 - 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth=L
I think that as Bluetooth gets bigger, we will start to see more home audio video components drop IR and go for bluetooth. Maybe we will see Harmony remotes with all three remote types, IR, RF, and Bluetooth.Posted Image

I am not sure about this. Bluetooth has a very limited range, and has difficulty if any structure is between the sending and recieving device. I think this might be a negative, not a positive when compared to a good RF device.
Thomas Eisenmann(Last updated 09/30/11)

Blu-Ray Collection  DVD Collection, Numerous BD players,

LG 55LX6500 55-Inch 3D 1080p 240 Hz LED

Pioneer VSX-94TXH, Panasonic PT-AE7000U 3D 1080p (PT-AE8000 Just Ordered, 

1124 BDs and going up, 1028 - DVDs and going down.

#7 of 287 dpippel

dpippel

Producer

• 3,160 posts

Posted October 31 2006 - 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppltd
I am not sure about this. Bluetooth has a very limited range, and has difficulty if any structure is between the sending and recieving device. I think this might be a negative, not a positive when compared to a good RF device.
All Bluetooth devices are RF, but yes, they do have limited range.

Careful man, there's a beverage here!

#8 of 287 Paul Padilla

Paul Padilla

Supporting Actor

• 767 posts

Posted October 31 2006 - 06:55 AM

Correct...Bluetooth is RF.

And range isn't a problem.

Bluetooth 1.2 has a range of 10 meters. Bluetooth 2.0, which is vailable on most newer devices, has a range of up to 100 meters.
I'm a ****ing idiot 'cause I can't make a lamp?
No, you're a genius 'cause you can't make a lamp.
What do you know about trigonometry?
I could care less about trigonometry.
Did you know without trigonometry there would be no engineering? Without lamps there'd be no light.

#9 of 287 Cory S.

Cory S.

Supporting Actor

• 983 posts

Posted November 02 2006 - 05:39 AM

I'm terribly slow but I thought the PS3 was equipped with component video. Am I wrong in saying that it only has HDMI 1.3 and regular A/V outputs on it?
"Because he's the hero Gotham deserves.  But, not the one it needs right now.  So, we'll hunt.  Because he can take.  Because, he's not a hero.  He's a silent guardian, a watchful protector.  A DARK KNIGHT."

#10 of 287 Mike~Sileck

Mike~Sileck

Supporting Actor

• 510 posts

Posted November 02 2006 - 05:47 AM

It has the same Playstation type output that the PS2 has.

All your PS2 cords will work with the PS3, including the Component cable.
Playstation Network:
CarpeD1em500

#11 of 287 Cory S.

Cory S.

Supporting Actor

• 983 posts

Posted November 02 2006 - 05:51 AM

Mike,

Thanks for the answer. I had forgot that the component cables used for consoles were different than standalone DVD players.

Just a brain fart on my part.
"Because he's the hero Gotham deserves.  But, not the one it needs right now.  So, we'll hunt.  Because he can take.  Because, he's not a hero.  He's a silent guardian, a watchful protector.  A DARK KNIGHT."

#12 of 287 Grant H

Grant H

Screenwriter

• 2,844 posts

Posted November 02 2006 - 06:56 AM

Curse those breakout cables!Posted Image

I still remember ordering the S-Video version for my Nintendo 64. And I don't remember if the Gamecube came with the component cables or not. (Those bastards never did deliver on the digital sound upgrade. So many things I was initially excited about pertaining to the Gamecube ended up dropping off the console. No wonder Nintendo's decided to go a new direction now.)
My midis bring all the Force to the yard; my midis are better than yours!

#13 of 287 dpippel

dpippel

Producer

• 3,160 posts

Posted November 03 2006 - 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Padilla
Correct...Bluetooth is RF.

And range isn't a problem.

Bluetooth 1.2 has a range of 10 meters. Bluetooth 2.0, which is vailable on most newer devices, has a range of up to 100 meters.
10 meters is a little less than 33 feet, and if you have structure between receiver and transmitter you often never get full range. Because of this Bluetooth 1.2 is a limiting RF technology for a remote control device IMO.

Does anyone know if the the PS3 is using 2.0?

#14 of 287 Paul Padilla

Paul Padilla

Supporting Actor

• 767 posts

Posted November 03 2006 - 06:42 AM

True, but even if you cut it's full range in half due to obstructions and/or interferance, how many of us require more than 10 to 15 feet for this purpose?
I'm a ****ing idiot 'cause I can't make a lamp?
No, you're a genius 'cause you can't make a lamp.
What do you know about trigonometry?
I could care less about trigonometry.
Did you know without trigonometry there would be no engineering? Without lamps there'd be no light.

#15 of 287 dpippel

dpippel

Producer

• 3,160 posts

Posted November 03 2006 - 06:49 AM

Well, because the two main advantages of using RF instead of IR in a remote control are range and not requiring line-of-sight to operate. But Sony *is* using 2.0 in the PS3 so the limitations of 1.2 are moot in this case.

#16 of 287 Brian Osborne

Brian Osborne

Stunt Coordinator

• 215 posts

Posted November 06 2006 - 09:59 AM

I've used Blutooth in my Home Theater room and there is more to it than just distance and walls. Electronic interference will severely limit it's capabilities as well. I don't know many HT's that don't have a lot of that. If it becomes a big problem, Sony will do something about it. They wont let sales suffer because they wanted to use cutting edge technology in their remote control...
Keaton always said, "I don't believe in God, but I'm afraid of him." Well I believe in God, and the only thing that scares me is Keyser Soze.

My Equipment

Pics - Theater in progress

#17 of 287 Chris S

Chris S

Screenwriter

• 2,522 posts

Posted November 06 2006 - 03:37 PM

Is the PS3 Bluetooth remote required for DVD/BD playback or just a nice to have? The way I've heard it discussed it seems as though everyone absolutely must have one.
DVD & Blu-ray - It's all about the movies!

#18 of 287 Anthony_De

Anthony_De

Agent

• 31 posts

Posted November 10 2006 - 01:04 AM

Some PS3 Bluray impressions courtesy of a translation from Beyond 3D:

Quote:

+ Using XMB and web browsing won't spin the fan. Playing Blu-ray will spin the fan, but the load is still low especially for early MPEG2 titles. The fan spins steadily while gaming.

+ The picture/audio quality for video playback is excellent. Though Cell does not do much postprocessing right now, they are doing research for it.

+ TrueHD is converted to LPCM and outputted via HDMI.

+ No DVD upscaling for the time being. But they are looking at user needs and have a plan for the support.

+ The Blu-ray player response is very quick. The interviewer says he felt it's the fastest among Toshiba, Sony, Matsushita HD players/recorders he tested.

+ Some contents holders say the speed of BD-Java in the PS3 is the fastest.

+ By pressing the triangle button the XMB shows the folder tree structure as is just like Windows Explorer.

+ It can connect with USB mass-storage devices such as PSP, but not with ones with special transfer methods such as iPod and Walkman. They are collaborating with the Walkman unit for some interaction in the future.

+ In Remote Play with PSP for the 60GB version, the PS3 resolution becomes 480p (16:9) and converts the screen to MPEG-4 Simple Profile at around 1Mbps to send it to the PSP. All control is transferred to the PSP and you can control the PS3 by pressing the PSP buttons. BD/DVD and other copyright-protected materials can't be sent. As for games the support will come in the near future.

+ The web browser can open up to 6 pages simultaneously. 64MB memory is always reserved for the browser, the instant messenger and other XMB OS activity even while in game.

+ Installing Linux creates a new HDD partition separately from the PS3 partition. After the setup, you can select which system to use at the boot menu. You can choose to auto-boot Linux too.

PS3 with bigger hard drive installed:
Posted Image

Quote:
Is the PS3 Bluetooth remote required for DVD/BD playback or just a nice to have? The way I've heard it discussed it seems as though everyone absolutely must have one.

You can use the controller for BR playback just like you could use the PS2 controller for DVD playback.

#19 of 287 DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet

Lead Actor

• 8,805 posts

Posted November 10 2006 - 03:21 AM

Quote:
+ TrueHD is converted to LPCM and outputted via HDMI.

Did we all see that?

Posted Image
Be an Original Aspect Ratio Advocate

Supporter of 1080p24 video and lossless 24 bit audio.

#20 of 287 Cees Alons

Cees Alons

Executive Producer

• 18,614 posts

Posted November 10 2006 - 03:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony_De
Some PS3 Bluray impressions:
Who's?
No anonymous quoting, please! And please provide a link!

(And remember this is the Owners Forum!)

Cees

Back to Blu-ray, DVD, LD, Tivo, Satellite and Other Playback Devices

Forum Nav Content I Follow