-

Photo
- - - - -

Is this a good DVD rewinder?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
63 replies to this topic

#1 of 64 Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls

Lead Actor

• 7,726 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted October 10 2006 - 08:32 AM

I was wondering if the quality of this unit is OK since they only want $16 for it: http://www.dvdrewind....f754cd4568b416

I watch a lot of DVDs and never want to take the time to rewind them right after viewing, so I thought I'd give this guy a try. Plus I'm tired of NetFlix charging me a rewind charge when I forget to do it.
Feline videophiles Condoleezza and Dukie.

#2 of 64 MarkHastings

MarkHastings

Executive Producer

• 12,013 posts

Posted October 10 2006 - 08:56 AM

I use it and I like it. It's not as fast as my old one, but it still works well.

#3 of 64 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 29,210 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted October 10 2006 - 09:15 AM

I had one which worked great for awhile...but after a few months it really bogged down and was especially slow in rewinding dual-layer discs.

But Posted Image to the company for being responsive to a disappointed customer and replacing the unit!

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#4 of 64 Jay Taylor

Jay Taylor

Supporting Actor

• 829 posts
  • LocationOklahoma City

Posted October 10 2006 - 09:19 AM

Did you read the reviews? Here’s a few:

Quote:
The first time I used this, I was like... "holy crap that is one serious DVD rewinding monster!"

Saves me time, gas money and comes with a coupon for a free Dan's Deal at Del Taco. I love this thing more than my own dog.

Quote:
I've always wanted one! I rank this along with the clapper as one of the greats! Hey Albridge!

Quote:
I think this is a great idea, and it definitely does a great job of rewinding DVDs very quickly, but I've got to say I was really disappointed that it doesn't have a feature to rewind to just the start of the movie, or even just the main menu.

I'd really hoped it would help me skip past those pesky FBI warnings and cheesy intro animations on repeated viewings.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke

#5 of 64 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 29,210 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted October 10 2006 - 09:42 AM

THIS TV report says there is also a place to plug in your mp3 player to rewind it. Posted Image

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

#6 of 64 MarkHastings

MarkHastings

Executive Producer

• 12,013 posts

Posted October 10 2006 - 10:46 AM

Wait, a novelty gift? WTF?? I love it when Joe 6 pack has no clue about technology. Posted Image

#7 of 64 Marianne

Marianne

Supporting Actor

• 855 posts

Posted October 11 2006 - 05:13 AM

Cool - I've been rewinding them by hand all this time. It's no joke when you have to rewind all three LOTR DVDs!

#8 of 64 ChristopherG

ChristopherG

Screenwriter

• 1,485 posts

Posted October 11 2006 - 05:16 AM

Mark -

A Gag gift. Yes. That is, not to be taken seriously. There should be a penalty for misuse of the rolleyes thingy.....Posted Image
It takes 52 pounds of pressure to rupture an eyeball... :blink: 

#9 of 64 Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina

Lead Actor

• 9,601 posts

Posted October 11 2006 - 06:41 AM

Wow, I must have a really special DVD player because I just realized that whenever I pop in a disc, it is automatically rewound to the beginning!

It doesn't matter if I was watching that disc last month and stopped halfway through the film, it is magically rewound to the beginning when I put it in my player!

I'd tell you all the model, but I don't want to create a demand for such an excellent item. Plus, I want to stock up on my player in case it ever dies, because such an excellent feature is most likely missing from other players...

XBox Live: TheL1brarian (let's play Destiny on XB1)

#10 of 64 MarkHastings

MarkHastings

Executive Producer

• 12,013 posts

Posted October 11 2006 - 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristopherG
Mark -

A Gag gift. Yes. That is, not to be taken seriously. There should be a penalty for misuse of the rolleyes thingy.....Posted Image
I know! I'm just playing along. Get it? Calling the news people 'clueless' because they think it's a gag-gift... Posted Image

In fact, I think I may have posted a thread about the very same product (a ways back)...perhaps it wasn't this board or maybe I posted the link in a similar thread, but I remember seeing this thing quite a ways back.

#11 of 64 Steve Kuester

Steve Kuester

Second Unit

• 263 posts

Posted October 11 2006 - 06:47 AM

The thing with most DVD rewinders is that you need to make sure you put the DVD in right side up, otherwise the disc will be fast forwarded to the end.

It's kind of embarrassing when you have company over, pop in a DVD, and BAM! you're at the end of the disc.

#12 of 64 Bob Graz

Bob Graz

Supporting Actor

• 798 posts

Posted October 11 2006 - 06:48 AM

I like DVD rewinders for the time they save, but I've had some problems with mine scratching some of my DVD's. I just bought a new one and spent a bit more hoping that a higher quality rewinder will not damage my disks. I think though the money they save in wear and tear rewinding disks in your player is worth it.

#13 of 64 MarkHastings

MarkHastings

Executive Producer

• 12,013 posts

Posted October 11 2006 - 07:05 AM

Bob, here's a neat trick - if you buy 2 rewinders, take one of the rewinders and reverse the motor, then put that one upside down (over the 1st)...this way you can rewind both sides of a double sided DVD at the same time Posted Image saving time and wear and tear on the disc.

#14 of 64 Matt_Vaudrin

Matt_Vaudrin

Stunt Coordinator

• 95 posts

Posted October 11 2006 - 07:05 AM

LOL.

#15 of 64 Bob Graz

Bob Graz

Supporting Actor

• 798 posts

Posted October 11 2006 - 07:21 AM

That's a good idea Mark. I have a single disk rewinder. I'm looking now at a 200 DVD rewinder on sale for $199. I'm ready to hit buy now. $199 seems almost unbelieveable to have such high rewind capacity. I'd almost bet I'd be the only one in my neighborhood with one. This is great. I can't wait to get it and show it off.

Calculations for DVD Rewinder
1 disk unit = $20.00
200 disk x $20.00 = $4,000.00
My price is $199. or savings of $3801.
That seems too good, maybe it's a mistake.

#16 of 64 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 29,210 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted October 11 2006 - 08:12 AM

I'm surprised the DVD Rewinder developers haven't yet made one that looks like a Cadillac.

Based on the shape of this unit, maybe they could look more like the flying saucers from Plan 9 from Outer Space.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kuester
The thing with most DVD rewinders is that you need to make sure you put the DVD in right side up, otherwise disc will be fast forwarded to the end.

Who hasn't suffered this embarassment? Frankly, there's no way to avoid it when you're talking about flippers. One side gets re-wound...the other gets fast-forwarded to the end. It's madness. There's GOT to be an answer.

I don't see how Mark's example would work.

#17 of 64 Bryan X

Bryan X

Producer

• 3,469 posts

Posted October 11 2006 - 09:02 AM

I would not buy that model. I bought it and the disc isn't secured very well to the unit during rewinding. More than once I've had DVDs fly off during high-speed rewinding and ended up with bits of data scattered all over the living room. The bits get down into the carpet fiber and are really hard to sweep up. I've had to throw away about 4 or 5 discs because of this-- and ruined two vacuums! Buyer beware!

#18 of 64 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 29,210 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted October 11 2006 - 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan X
More than once I've had DVDs fly off during high-speed rewinding and ended up with bits of data scattered all over the living room. The bits get down into the carpet fiber and are really hard to sweep up. I've had to throw away about 4 or 5 discs because of this-- and ruined two vacuums!

Get a Dyson.

#19 of 64 Bryan X

Bryan X

Producer

• 3,469 posts

Posted October 11 2006 - 09:21 AM

I don't know. I'm a pretty saavy consumer and have heard that those Dysons don't really do what they say they do...

#20 of 64 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 29,210 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted October 11 2006 - 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan X
I don't know. I'm a pretty saavy consumer and have heard that those Dysons don't really do what they say they do...

James Dyson guarantees that his vac's "Dual Cyclone" technology is the best at picking up bits of electronic data from carpet.

Posted Image

Back to After Hours Lounge

Forum Nav Content I Follow