-

Photo
- - - - -

Question about rusty rims and tire seals.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 OFFLINE   Buzz Foster

Buzz Foster

Second Unit

• 450 posts

Posted October 10 2006 - 05:31 AM

I need to put some used tires on some mag wheels for a motorcycle trailer. My dad is giving me the trailer and the wheels, and one of the wheels has no tire, and is a bit rusty:

Posted Image

I can clean the rust off, but I am worried that because it extends onto the edge of the rim, it might not provide a good seal.

What is the best way to clean the rust, and can tires be put on (such as with tubes in them) that would prevent air loss?

Thanks!
Look up!  Scream in terror!  Get smooshed!  Fear me, for I am PARTYZILLA!

facebook.com/getthebuzz  facebook.com/partyzilla

#2 of 6 OFFLINE   Mort Corey

Mort Corey

Supporting Actor

• 981 posts

Posted October 10 2006 - 08:42 AM

Think I'd use some naval jelly on the rust and after it's removed inspect the surface closely. If the rust free surface looks good you're probably OK. Mount a tire and let it sit for a few days (with weight) and see what happens....before you take it to the road.

Mort

PS. Using tubes in tubeless tires is only good as an emergency/stop gap measure.

#3 of 6 ONLINE   Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls

Lead Actor

• 7,774 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted October 10 2006 - 12:26 PM

I would just get out the steel wool and then hit it with some spray paint. You just want a smooth surface to keep down any air leaks. I restored an Austin-Healey Bugeye once that had pretty crummy pressed steel wheels, but a sandblast treatment followed by primer and paint made them look really good. BTW they aren't "mags" if they are rusty. Posted Image
Feline videophiles Condoleezza and Dukie.

#4 of 6 OFFLINE   Buzz Foster

Buzz Foster

Second Unit

• 450 posts

Posted October 10 2006 - 06:19 PM

The centers are mags. The rims themselves are steel. But yeah, I think I am going to have a go at them with some machine oil and steel wool.

#5 of 6 OFFLINE   Buzz Foster

Buzz Foster

Second Unit

• 450 posts

Posted October 11 2006 - 03:41 PM

A lot of work but...

Before:

Posted Image

After:

Posted Image

The inside looks good, too. I had to use a drill with a wire brush, and there was discoloration under the rust, but it came off.

#6 of 6 Guest_Eric Kahn_*

Guest_Eric Kahn_*

Posted October 11 2006 - 03:48 PM

the wire wheel is how the tire places clean the rims, they also will put some bead sealer on the rim if you ask when they are mounting the tire, this is a common problem with a simple solution