Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

'The Maxx' The single greatest cartoon in the history of civilization?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 of 8 OFFLINE   Troy_S

Troy_S

Agent

• 30 posts

Posted August 28 2001 - 12:06 PM

I caught this show quite accidentaly a couple of months ago (1:00am EST on Teletoon, originally aired on MTV I think) and all I can say is DDAAAMMMMMNNNN this show rules! The characters are by FAR the most interesting and complex I've seen in ANY television show animated or not. The subject matter manages to be about many times more disturbing then even the most violent Anime and yet there is almost no gore in the show.

Since watching it my first time I've become hooked but I fear I've seen all the episodes out there... does anyone know anything about this show?

BTW if you DON'T know anything about it FIND IT AND WATCH IT.

#2 of 8 OFFLINE   JonZ

JonZ

Lead Actor

• 7,793 posts

Posted August 28 2001 - 12:56 PM

I REALLY enjoyed the Max. There arent too many of them ,itd be cool to get a DVD set.

I remember seeing a VHS set at Blockbuster awhile back.

------------------
Visit My Pathetic WebPage
"....With that in mind,I humbly add my own prophecy of
what the dawn of the new millennium shall bring forth-
one thousand more years of the same old crap" Jose Chung

[Edited last by JonZ on August 28, 2001 at 07:57 PM]

#3 of 8 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Who do we think I am?

• 16,239 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted August 28 2001 - 03:32 PM

i have the vhs. it is on one tape presented as a long movie rather then several eps of a tv show. its about 2 hrs long and for vhs the sound is pretty good. THE MAXX ................ Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image OUT OF 5

------------------
"who needs padding when you can have quality over quantity? more isn't always better." just my 2 cents on post count padders.-----

[Edited last by TonyD on August 28, 2001 at 10:33 PM]

[Edited last by TonyD on August 28, 2001 at 10:33 PM]
facebook.com/whotony

#4 of 8 OFFLINE   Andres Munoz

Andres Munoz

Screenwriter

• 2,494 posts

Posted August 29 2001 - 01:25 AM

Yup...this show kicked major ass. I remember those good old MTV days with Beavis and Butthead followed by The Maxx.

This show ended way too soon. Here's to hoping they bring the compilation on DVD.

------------------
Andres

My Home Theater
Posted Image

Andres

#5 of 8 OFFLINE   Moe Maishlish

Moe Maishlish

Supporting Actor

• 992 posts

Posted August 29 2001 - 08:27 AM

If I remember correctly, this show was based on a comic book series of the same name, issued about 7 years ago by Image Comics. I have Issue #1 of the comic book, and I remember not understanding much of it. It's pretty out there...

The artist was also the creator & writer for the book. He previously did some Batman books... I can't remember his name off the top of my head, but the art in the series is pretty much the same as that in the book.

Like much animation, if this came out on DVD I'd probably buy it.

Moe.
- Confidence implies the knowledge of one's limitations, while arrogance implies that one does not have any.

- There's no such thing as "normal". The secret is to find someone that's screwed up in a way that seems "normal" to you.

#6 of 8 OFFLINE   Michael St. Clair

Michael St. Clair

Producer

• 6,009 posts

Posted August 29 2001 - 08:59 AM

Quote:
The artist was also the creator & writer for the book. He previously did some Batman books... I can't remember his name off the top of my head, but the art in the series is pretty much the same as that in the book.

Sam Kieth, who also used to do some great inking of Matt Wagner's pencils in 'Mage'.

#7 of 8 OFFLINE   Dave Dugan

Dave Dugan

Stunt Coordinator

• 84 posts

Posted August 29 2001 - 09:58 PM

I would definitely buy The Maxx on DVD. Used to love it on MTV. The music, voice acting and overall tone were fantastic. The visuals were great, too. Though if you paid attention, you noticed that the show was only sparsely animated, consisting mainly of static art and camera pans and zooms. Wouldn't change a thing, though.

I believe the show was based on the first 20 issues of the comic. The comic series continued, but I lost interest after a few issues. The first 20 pretty much finished up the story arc that had grabbed me. Maybe if I went back and gave the second arc a chance, I'd get into it now...

-Dave

#8 of 8 OFFLINE   Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets

Screenwriter

• 2,371 posts

Posted August 30 2001 - 05:25 AM

Yeah, I think the show was so sparsely animated in order to preserve the look of the comic, which is basically identical to the show. In fact, that was one of the reasons why, as good as the show was, I had trouble getting into it: it was actually *too* faithful to the comics. I don't really mind changes being made from one medium to another as long as the spirit of the work remains intact Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users