Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Official Panasonic DMP-BD10 Blu-Ray player thread

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
665 replies to this topic

#21 of 666 Ben_Williams

Ben_Williams

Second Unit

• 454 posts

Posted October 10 2006 - 11:49 AM

Pics added!

#22 of 666 Chris Beveridge

Chris Beveridge

Second Unit

• 349 posts

Posted October 10 2006 - 11:55 AM

How does the unit handle 4:3 DVD material? I believe it should be pillarboxing any on the BD side but does it stretch/zoom the DVD?

#23 of 666 Ben_Williams

Ben_Williams

Second Unit

• 454 posts

Posted October 10 2006 - 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Beveridge
How does the unit handle 4:3 DVD material? I believe it should be pillarboxing any on the BD side but does it stretch/zoom the DVD?

Great question. The unit actually does pillarbox all 4:3 material be it Blu-Ray or DVD.

#24 of 666 Chris Beveridge

Chris Beveridge

Second Unit

• 349 posts

Posted October 10 2006 - 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben_Williams
Great question. The unit actually does pillarbox all 4:3 material be it Blu-Ray or DVD.

Ah, beautiful. I think this wasn't finalized in the prototype models and comments made about them and I know it's an issue with the Samsung for those that don't like the stretching.

#25 of 666 JediFonger

JediFonger

Producer

• 3,895 posts

Posted October 10 2006 - 02:54 PM

so does it officially output 1080p/60 AND 1080p/24 or not?

Quote:
I WISH I had those! Unfortunately, the fact that my wife would kill me in my sleep if I spent that kind of money on speakers - - and the fact that I can't afford 'em means that I've been using Nautilus 805s speakers for my front channels.

I should probably clarify that, eh?

#26 of 666 Michael Osadciw

Michael Osadciw

Screenwriter

• 1,325 posts

Posted October 10 2006 - 04:22 PM

Ben

Thanks for the review.

How does the audio on this machine sound on this machine when comparing the processor/DACs on the Panasonic's analogue outs in comparison to your Rotel's processor/DACs? Have you tried this comparison?

Mike
Warner Bros. Blu-ray Reviewer
Anchor Bay/Starz Entertainment Blu-ray Reviewer

THX/ISF Professional Video Calibrator
HIGHEST FIDELITY CALIBRATIONS

#27 of 666 GoldenRedux

GoldenRedux

Stunt Coordinator

• 82 posts

Posted October 11 2006 - 01:01 AM

Quote:

Does it offer an option to zoom 4:3 material, in the event it is 4:3 letterboxed?
---

Cheers

#28 of 666 GoldenRedux

GoldenRedux

Stunt Coordinator

• 82 posts

Posted October 11 2006 - 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Osadciw
Ben

Thanks for the review.

How does the audio on this machine sound on this machine when comparing the processor/DACs on the Panasonic's analogue outs in comparison to your Rotel's processor/DACs? Have you tried this comparison?

Mike

I'm interested in this as well, as the high-res audio capabilities of Blu-ray are one of the biggest draws for me, and using the new lossless audio codecs will be limited to the capabilities of the machines decoding them, at least for the next 6 to 12 months before we start to see HDMI 1.3 and A/VRs that can decode the new codecs as well.

If the Panasonic has a good analogue stage, it could sound killer.
---

Cheers

#29 of 666 Dave_BG

Dave_BG

Auditioning

• 6 posts

Posted October 11 2006 - 01:57 AM

Excelent review Ben!
Well done!
Thanks for your work!

#30 of 666 Parker Clack

Parker Clack

Executive Producer

• 12,068 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted October 11 2006 - 02:19 AM

Ben:

Great job! How about some pictures of the unit from the backside?

Thanks,
Parker

"I tried to get my medical records from the company but they say they

are confidential and can only be released to other insurance companies,

pharmaceutical​ reps, suppliers of medical equipment and for some

reason the RNC."

#31 of 666 Ben_Williams

Ben_Williams

Second Unit

• 454 posts

Posted October 11 2006 - 03:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Osadciw
Ben

Thanks for the review.

Mike

Hey Michael!

I did, actually... I'm not sure what's inside the Panny, but it must have some pretty nice DACs. I noticed that there was very little descernable difference between the Rotel and the Panny. I also compared DVD-A performance between the Panny and the Denon DVD-2910 with its Burr-Brown chipset. It was also a wash. Whatever they packed into the Panny is of very nice quality. I just wish it would play SACD, so I could eliminate the DVD-2910.

#32 of 666 Ben_Williams

Ben_Williams

Second Unit

• 454 posts

Posted October 11 2006 - 03:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenRedux
Does it offer an option to zoom 4:3 material, in the event it is 4:3 letterboxed?

I didn't try out that feature as my TV does a nice zoom. I'll check it out tonight and report back.

EDIT: The Panny does have a zoom feature!

#33 of 666 Dave_P.

Dave_P.

Supporting Actor

• 983 posts

Posted October 11 2006 - 05:07 AM

Thanks for the added pics!

#34 of 666 Ben_Williams

Ben_Williams

Second Unit

• 454 posts

Posted October 11 2006 - 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediFonger
so does it officially output 1080p/60 AND 1080p/24 or not?

I've found no available settings for 1080p/24. I think it is safe to say that this one doesn't support it.

#35 of 666 GoldenRedux

GoldenRedux

Stunt Coordinator

• 82 posts

Posted October 11 2006 - 05:42 AM

Quote:
Hey Michael!

I did, actually... I'm not sure what's inside the Panny, but it must have some pretty nice DACs. I noticed that there was very little descernable difference between the Rotel and the Panny. I also compared DVD-A performance between the Panny and the Denon DVD-2910 with its Burr-Brown chipset. It was also a wash. Whatever they packed into the Panny is of very nice quality. I just wish it would play SACD, so I could eliminate the DVD-2910.

That's great to hear, no pun intended. If the Panny sounds good in comparison to your Denon DVD-2910, then I'm sure it would sound favourably compared to my Denon DVD-2200, which I think sounds superb playing DVD-As. As I have a Sony XA9000ES SACD/CD player, I'm not concerned about SACD playback on anything else, which means I'd be able to ditch the Denon and replace it with the Panny.

I know this is unlikely, since the unit is really video oriented, but does it allow you to turn off the video section, like the Denon does, when playing back DVD-As?

Quote:
I didn't try out that feature as my TV does a nice zoom. I'll check it out tonight and report back.

Thank. My Samsung DLP does not allow me to zoom anything on DVI.
---

Cheers

#36 of 666 Ron-P

Ron-P

Producer

• 6,283 posts

Posted October 11 2006 - 06:41 AM

Awesome review Ben, thanks!

Soon after Christmas I'm hoping some of the big box stores will get some BR player returns so I can pick one up on the cheap.
You have all the weapons you need...Now fight!

#37 of 666 GoldenRedux

GoldenRedux

Stunt Coordinator

• 82 posts

Posted October 11 2006 - 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron-P

Soon after Christmas I'm hoping some of the big box stores will get some BR player returns so I can pick one up on the cheap.

I'm waiting on some sort of holdiay season sale pricing or refurbs myself. Posted Image Posted Image

This MSRP pricing just isn't cutting it for me.
---

Cheers

#38 of 666 JediFonger

JediFonger

Producer

• 3,895 posts

Posted October 11 2006 - 07:07 AM

thx.

Quote:
I've found no available settings for 1080p/24. I think it is safe to say that this one doesn't support it.

#39 of 666 Ben_Williams

Ben_Williams

Second Unit

• 454 posts

Posted October 11 2006 - 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron-P

I bought mine with a 10% off coupon from a major retailer. So, If you just can't wait any longer for HD on disc, it is absolutely possible to buy this unit for less than the $1300 MSRP today.

#40 of 666 Ben_Williams

Ben_Williams

Second Unit

• 454 posts

Posted October 11 2006 - 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenRedux
I know this is unlikely, since the unit is really video oriented, but does it allow you to turn off the video section, like the Denon does, when playing back DVD-As?
Thank. My Samsung DLP does not allow me to zoom anything on DVI.

Unfortunately, it doesn't have an option to disable the video circuit for audio playback. I always really liked that feature on my DVD-1600... very thoughtful design on Denon's part.

Back to Blu-ray, DVD, LD, Tivo, Satellite and Other Playback Devices

Forum Nav Content I Follow